Marijuana in Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every state has budget issues. You'd think they'd all be looking at the option...

Just thought of something. Why don't these cash-strapped Greeks think of this?

If they put their idle youth who are 50% unemployed to growing weed, imagine how fast they will pay off their debt, then become the most prosperous nation in [-]Europe[/-] the world. :whistle:

Last edited:
meanwhile...still planning our road trip to Colorado for the MONTH of September....driving crooked roads, camping under the stars....ALWAYS totally legal :)

If it would ease the pain in my lower back I would give it a go. I did smoke it in the late 60's but that has been almost 50 years ago. I liked it then and I am sure I would now. The only problem is I quit smoking 34 years ago so that might be a problem :)

For pain many use tinctures, no smoking required. Some claim it's a better pain management option than opiods. These are high in CBD and low in THC, you get pain relief without the high. It's the same type of treatment used for epilepsy.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm in Amsterdam right now. No real desire to partake - but it's available... and not unusual to walk past a coffee shop and get a whiff.

We were in Prague before - and it was smoked pretty openly there as well... My husband joked that he felt like he was back in college walking through old town square.

For pain many use tinctures, no smoking required. Some claim it's a better pain management option than opiods. These are high in CBD and low in THC, you get pain relief without the high. It's the same type of treatment used for epilepsy.

YMMV.
I only just learned about high-CBD pot. For people who are at all interested in any medicinal properties it may have but think that partaking will mean they are going to be walking around as high as a kite, apparently, with high-CBD pot, this is not the case. The friend from whom I gained this piece of knowledge has an elderly cat with a large cancerous growth. She is a believer in the medicinal properties of MJ, and is giving her kitty a very low dose of high-CBD pot for pain relief. I live in California, by the way, so feel free to make all the jokes you want about us crazy Californians who even have cats on pot :LOL:

I have osteoarthritis in one knee and one hip. At this relatively early stage, ibuprofen is helping. I'm only 51, so hope I am a long way from needing surgery. Who knows, in a few years I might find that high-CBD pot can help. I value having a clear head, so am certainly not keen to spend my waking hours in a state of altered consciousness.

If it would ease the pain in my lower back I would give it a go. I did smoke it in the late 60's but that has been almost 50 years ago. I liked it then and I am sure I would now. The only problem is I quit smoking 34 years ago so that might be a problem :)
I use a portable vaporizer. No smoke or carcinogens. No throat irritation. I will occasionally get high with friends but other than that I only use it except at night to go to sleep so no issue with walking around in a fog. High CBD, low THC might help for pain - worth a try. From what I have read the effects are pretty idiosyncratic (possibly placebo) with some getting relief and others not, some liking sativas others liking indicas, some benefiting from THC others from CBD. Then there is thinking that dozens of companion molecules (e.g. terpenoids) are what help this or that condition. We certainly could use some good studies to see what is what (not like the much hyped extract study recently in the news). But, in the meantime I view medical mj the way I view supplements and herbal remedies - take the anecdotal evidence with a big grain of salt but don't reject it out of hand.

Last edited:
Good luck with it. Keep lots of carrots and celery around, it might mitigate the ice cream effect. Let us know how it works over time.

Wish we had it available in Florida. Chronic pain from 3 back and 2 rotator cuff surgeries and no relief from neuropathy in the right leg has me taking combinations of hydrocodone and 800mg ibuprofen for the past 6 years. Sure would like to give CBD a try. Unfortunately politicians and citizens with no experience with chronic pain are selfishly preventing it.

Cheers!

Wish we had it available in Florida. Chronic pain from 3 back and 2 rotator cuff surgeries and no relief from neuropathy in the right leg has me taking combinations of hydrocodone and 800mg ibuprofen for the past 6 years. Sure would like to give CBD a try. Unfortunately politicians and citizens with no experience with chronic pain are selfishly preventing it.

Cheers!

There are two legalization and one MM ballot initiatives being worked on for Florida for 2016. Between you and me and DW, that's 3 signatures out of a mere 680K needed to get them on the ballot. Practically a done deal.

DW just discovered an unexpected benefit. She uses medical MJ to deal with restless leg syndrome (RLS) which prevents her from sleeping. That just got her out of 7 weeks of grand jury service. She isn't impaired during the day but I guess the use could impeach her service given the current Federal Schedule 1 status. It is outrageous that they call people to serve 7 weeks on grand juries. Most of the time they run cases through like cattle. They should limit it to a week, two weeks at most except for the few long term investigations.

FACEBOOK....420socialpeople, 420growers, coming out of the closet (forgot the exact search)

these are all closed groups meaning you will have to request approval and no one can read unless they are members.

My wife has received surgery for spinal stenosis after her leg gave way twice when she was walking up steps. She's been going to a pain management clinic through a hospital for the last 15 years. With proper medicine management and a cortisone shot from time to time, they've kept her leading a normal life. Otherwise, she'd have been an invalid with a reduced life span. Her doctor is an anesthesiologist with a fellowship in pain management, and they often do drug screen checks to make sure she's just taking the meds prescribed--and nothing else. Medical marijuana would be spotted in a minute and she'd be released from their care.

There are two legalization and one MM ballot initiatives being worked on for Florida for 2016.

There are a lot of victim-less crimes that could be eliminated with legalization of drugs. I would say get rid of the mandatory prescription process altogether. A Dr. could still prescribe, but if I want a drug I see on TV, I should be able to mail order it.

I do not see why MJ cannot be legalized for recreational use, along with any of the other drugs you see on TV. Or any homemade ones. Tax them, and we have more money to spend on other things. Similar to alcohol.

The same pro-MJ arguments could be used to legalize any oxycontin, cocaine or heroin. Even crack or meth. If you want to use it, who am I to say you should not. And if I get some tax benefits, even better. We already allow items such as cigarettes, alcohol and gambling that some people think are worse.

Maybe it would even help reduce crime, and if you could sell enough of the barbiturates (downers) in traditionally high-crime areas, it may keep people from having the ambition to do as many crimes.

Prostitution is another victim-less crime. Make it legal for anyone over the age of consent. If you can give it away, why can't you sell it? Some people, if they work hard, will be able to ER by the time they are 20. :dance: High schools give away the condoms, but society says if you charge to use the condom it is a crime?

DW just discovered an unexpected benefit. She uses medical MJ to deal with restless leg syndrome (RLS) which prevents her from sleeping. That just got her out of 7 weeks of grand jury service. She isn't impaired during the day but I guess the use could impeach her service given the current Federal Schedule 1 status. It is outrageous that they call people to serve 7 weeks on grand juries. Most of the time they run cases through like cattle. They should limit it to a week, two weeks at most except for the few long term investigations.

Restless legs are a terrible thing to have, as it keeps you from sleeping. There are a number of prescription drugs that help that are not that harsh. My wife takes one small dose of klonipan every day for restless legs. There are some other old line drugs that help.

Restless legs are a terrible thing to have, as it keeps you from sleeping. There are a number of prescription drugs that help that are not that harsh. My wife takes one small dose of klonipan every day for restless legs. There are some other old line drugs that help.
DW has not tried Klonopin but might if MMJ became unavailable. On the prescription front only Parkinson's drugs have been helpful but they have some scary potential side effects. From a quick review of Klonopin it is clear that it warrants caution as well. From everything I have read, MMJ raises far less concerns with respect to side effects and long term impact. Note: DW uses it to sleep and is not getting stoned during the day. The need for the later could be seen as a positive for some but would be a non-starter for many.

DW has not tried Klonopin but might if MMJ became unavailable. On the prescription front only Parkinson's drugs have been helpful but they have some scary potential side effects. From a quick review of Klonopin it is clear that it warrants caution as well. From everything I have read, MMJ raises far less concerns with respect to side effects and long term impact. Note: DW uses it to sleep and is not getting stoned during the day. The need for the later could be seen as a positive for some but would be a non-starter for many.

+1
Klonopin is a benzo, along with valimum , zanax....
Serious medicine, used appropriately helps many people, but it is highly addictive. MJ arguably not so much.

Edit to add: Every time I think about benzos I recall a young woman I used to know. She had a little party the day before rehab, couple of zanax, couple of drinks. Luckily I guess someone checked on her well being. Today she's a person who is in a home, alive, kind of. Really bad choice for her, her loved ones and family.

Last edited:
This is a touchy subject to discuss, especially on a public forum. We're doing a great job so far, but it would sure help if we stayed on topic. :)

We will be careful MichaelB. But I think the discussion of MMJ vs the prescription drugs used to address the same conditions is very much on topic in this discussion.

We will be careful MichaelB. But I think the discussion of MMJ vs the prescription drugs used to address the same conditions is very much on topic in this discussion.
No disagreement with this. :)

There are a lot of victim-less crimes that could be eliminated with legalization of drugs. I would say get rid of the mandatory prescription process altogether. A Dr. could still prescribe, but if I want a drug I see on TV, I should be able to mail order it.

I do not see why MJ cannot be legalized for recreational use, along with any of the other drugs you see on TV. Or any homemade ones. Tax them, and we have more money to spend on other things. Similar to alcohol.

The same pro-MJ arguments could be used to legalize any oxycontin, cocaine or heroin. Even crack or meth. If you want to use it, who am I to say you should not. And if I get some tax benefits, even better. We already allow items such as cigarettes, alcohol and gambling that some people think are worse.

Maybe it would even help reduce crime, and if you could sell enough of the barbiturates (downers) in traditionally high-crime areas, it may keep people from having the ambition to do as many crimes.

Prostitution is another victim-less crime. Make it legal for anyone over the age of consent. If you can give it away, why can't you sell it? Some people, if they work hard, will be able to ER by the time they are 20. :dance: High schools give away the condoms, but society says if you charge to use the condom it is a crime?

+1
Society sets legal limits or rules based on all sorts of special groups influence.

I am a total oddball....I agree with everything you say....With a slight addition... If any of those things lead to loss of my freedoms such as my right of property or safety, the offending culprit should meet the Singapore cane, stockade, or rope from a tree depending on severity. I would be unelectable as a presidential candidate. ....Too socially libertarian, and too right wing on criminal justice. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom