Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Our tax money, gone again.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our tax money, gone again.

Let's post articles here of how our tax money is lost or stolen. Also other articles that show our government can't keep track of our money. Things like this are why they want to raise our taxes, they can't keep track of what we already sent them.

$360M lost to insurgents, criminals in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

I wonder where this money is coming from and how much of it we will ever see again.

Clinton launches business loan program in Haiti - Yahoo! News

Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

No Biggie, only a few Billion.

BBCW: $18 Billion in Reconstruction Tax Dollars for Iraq Missing
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Let's post articles here of how our tax money is lost or stolen.
There seems to be an assumption that if the money hadn't been lost or stolen then it wouldn't have been spent on that project in the first place.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
There seems to be an assumption that if the money hadn't been lost or stolen then it wouldn't have been spent on that project in the first place.
Spending the money is one thing but not knowing where it went or where it is is another. I'm tired of the government claiming to be broke and raising the debt ceiling and having no idea where our money went.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm tired of the government claiming to be broke and raising the debt ceiling and having no idea where our money went.
I used to get that from my daughter all the time...

I think part of the "problem" is that the auditors may feel the documentation doesn't meet their standards. Audits are painful, time-consuming, expensive, and not necessarily worth the effort.

A neighbor is a GS-14 comptroller at PACDIV, a major military infrastructure-building command. They're the ones who negotiate the multi-gazillion dollar contracts to build new facilities on military bases or in military housing complexes. A few years ago he did the civilian equivalent of a one-year IA in Iraq, acting as an intermediary between the U.S. and the Iraqi local governments (such as they are).

He said his job was to teach the local city/tribal councils to ask the local/national government for the funds that they were entitled to. All their requests (for example, a new electric utility) had been forwarded up the chain for Iraq's new government to collate and decide. When that utility plant was approved, though, Iraq's new central govt wouldn't hand out the money until someone asked for it. The local city/tribal councils had been "trained" (by the previous administration's coercion, imprisonment, and occasional executions) not to ask for it. An "advocate" for that council had to go tell the government to cough it up, and perhaps he'd be entitled to a consulting fee for his facilitation efforts.

Even when the municipality of a remote area got the funds they were entitled to, it was a challenge to make sure they weren't ripped off by bad contractors or other carpet-baggers. But the money did go to Iraq and it did get spent in Iraq, and at least 51% of it was spent as intended.

The money directly stimulated Iraq's economy. Under those conditions, though, it was difficult to find an auditor who would agree that the money was properly spent.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
I wonder where this money is coming from and how much of it we will ever see again.

Clinton launches business loan program in Haiti - Yahoo! News
The Interim Haiti Recovery Commission is a group of 19 countries that donated money in 2010. The US donated $120M. The Clinton Foundation collects private donations from individual and corporate donors and channels them to various third world problems. The program described in the article you list involves US and international businesses loaning or donating to individuals and businesses in Haiti and is not supported by tax dollars. I can't post links, but it was easy to google. Politifact reports that just 1% of the federal budget or 0.19% of US GDP goes to foreign aid. As a comparison, Canada contributes 0.32% of it's GDP for foreign aid and Sweden contributes 0.99%. You'll be happy to know that of the OECD member countries, the US is the, uh, thriftiest with the lowest percentage of foreign aid by GDP. Israel and Egypt are the recipients of the largest share of US aid receiving a combined total of approximately 1/3 of all foreign aid.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #8

Thanks Stella, that makes me feel better. Now, if we can only find the 18 Billion we are missing in Iraq.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks Stella, that makes me feel better. Now, if we can only find the 18 Billion we are missing in Iraq.
"Small change can often be found under seat cushions."
-- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough For Love" by Robert Heinlein

ďA billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."
-- Newspaper misquote of Senator Everett Dirksen (which he thought was pretty good) from a March 8, 1962 press conference
Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Does this one count?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/17/opinion/main20093451.shtml

Quote:
Add those three figures together and you’re at the edge of $8 trillion in national security spending for the last decade-plus and perhaps wondering where the nearest group for compulsive-spending addiction meets.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #11

I like the way the writer of the article calls the spending a disease.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #12

I don't think this is OK. Our government can't account for 60 Billion of our tax money.

War News Updates: Waste And Fraud In War Spending Approaching $60 Billion
Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It especially hurts when one considers that the $60B will wind up (at a macro level) extracted from Medicare and SS.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
It especially hurts when one considers that the $60B will wind up (at a macro level) extracted from Medicare and SS.
The thing that amazes me is no one seems to be upset about this. Yet if $15 was missing from a SS check people would be up in arms.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The thing that amazes me is no one seems to be upset about this. Yet if $15 was missing from a SS check people would be up in arms.
Grab your pitchfork - I'll meet you at the polling booth on election day.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Grab your pitchfork - I'll meet you at the polling booth on election day.
I'll be there, and if Donald Duck is running I'll be voting for him.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

What gets me is that this is just business as usual in washington. No way they would even THINK of using thier own money as loosely..............
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwest
What gets me is that this is just business as usual in washington. No way they would even THINK of using thier own money as loosely..............
Really? I seem to remember a candidate who couldn't remember how many houses he owned.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

What pisses me off is the stuff that they should be spending our tax dollars on never has enough funding. I was managing a big highway project in Las Vegas before I retired that is going to cost a couple of billion dollars. That sounds like so much until you see they waste and lose many, many times more that that seemingly all the time. That's just one example.

You want better highways, bridges, national parks, border security, etc., there's never enough money for that, but they waste enough to fund all that and more and no one cares.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #20

Can any one figure out why Jeff Imelt who is CEO of GE is advising the president on jobs.

General Electric Paid No Federal Taxes in 2010 - ABC News