Yes the media is just a little bias 3 3.49%
No the media is not bias at all 4 4.65%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
I guess you may have not seen MSNBC then....Seriously!
Well - actually I was thinking of Rachel Maddow - I guess that would not be considered news, but would still be considered media, and is very biased.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
I guess you may have not seen MSNBC then....Seriously!
You're right, I haven't. I don't often watch any national news channel. I don't recall ever having watched MSNBC.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #43

I think media bias is in the eyes of the beholder. We only tend to notice media bias when a particular media outlet's philosophy and approach to a story disagrees with our own. When they are in agreement with us we tend to think of them as being completely objective. There probably is no such thing, in reality.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I'd suggest that the different channels adapt their content a bit for their target audiences. That is, FOX News probably has a somewhat different target audience than MSNBC, and makes adjustments in the editorial content between news stories, or even between news lines.

This, of course, has been going on for a long time, all over the world.

Monty Python put together a skit poking fun at this a generation ago.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It depends on what you mean by Media. Assuming you mean Non-editorial news (those that are really attempting to report the facts instead of opinion). I think there is some political bias (affects some of how they present the information-- or do not). But by and large they are credible... whether they have a liberal or conservative bend.

The increase in radio talk shows and cable TV has introduced more shows like Rush Limbaugh and the Liberal equivalent. Those people are not news shows, rather political mouth pieces. At best they politically biased editorials at worst, they tend to exaggerate and mislead.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
It depends on what you mean by Media. Assuming you mean Non-editorial news (those that are really attempting to report the facts instead of opinion). I think there is some political bias (affects some of how they present the information-- or do not). But by and large they are credible... whether they have a liberal or conservative bend.

The increase in radio talk shows and cable TV has introduced more shows like Rush Limbaugh and the Liberal equivalent. Those people are not news shows, rather political mouth pieces. At best they politically biased editorials at worst, they tend to exaggerate and mislead.
As was previously mentioned, a large part of the bias is found simply in what the media chooses to report on and what they omit
Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a good article

Without Bush, media lose interest in war caskets | Washington Examiner
Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
In a similar vein - here's a couple google news searches. One for:

sheehan bush protest texas OR crawford OR ranch - Google News Archive Search

Cindy Sheehan's protests of Pres Bush in 2005 (5,420 results for sheehan bush protest texas OR crawford OR ranch.), and one for...

sheehan obama protest massachusetts OR vineyard OR "cape cod" - Google News Archive Search

Cindy Sheehan's protests of Pres Obama in 2009 (36 results for sheehan obama protest massachusetts OR vineyard OR "cape cod").

And a couple articles about the media coverage:

Will Nets Note Sheehan's Anti-Obama Protest?

ABC's Charles Gibson to Cindy Sheehan: Thanks for your sacrifice. Now get lost. | Washington Examiner

-ERD50
Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
You mean lie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
But he started it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
A less political version...
Old 09-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

A less political version...

Though as haha says, everything is political (or something like that).

Anyway, when I heard this podcast, I thought of this thread. This isn't specifically media bias, but I detect bias from one guest. I've often said I can tell if someone is distorting the truth, even if I have little/no knowledge of the subject matter, just by the quality of their debate. Some prime examples in here:

Offshore Wind Power: The Promises and the Realities - To the Point on KCRW
Quote:
Offshore wind is an alternative energy source ... But plans may be delayed by controversy over a project planned for waters off Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard.... We hear about green power and global warming, natural beauty and the tourist economy, and what's at stake for America's energy future.
Paraphrasing from memory here (I'm not going to take the time to re-listen and do dictation), but the person arguing against an off-shore wind farm near Cape Cod gives some very twisted arguments. She goes on about how tall these wind turbines are, compares them to buildings in Manhattan, says that the turbines are not proven technology, why not build them on the west coast which has better wind potential, blah, blah, blah.

The pro wind farm person provided what seemed like clear arguments to those points.

1) Yes, the turbines are tall. But they are so far offshore, that they would appear less than 1/2" in height at your outstretched arm (imagine pinching one with your fingers). And it would need to be a very clear day to see them at all. Isn't that a better perspective?

2) Unproven technology? It seems that GE had designed a specific model to match the requirements of a number of these proposed offshore farms, but because of delays in approvals, GE canceled production of that specific model. It's a real stretch to go from a specific model to an entire range of technologies, and there are many similar installations world-wide.

3) West Coast windmills? How convenient, NIMBY? Talk about "unproven technologies". Turns out the west coast drops off sharply, and to get wind farms far out to sea, they would require floating platforms. There are NO floating platform wind installations anywhere. But she doesn't see that as a problem?

Considering that wind turbines can provide power in the night time, when solar is useless, it made me want to personally introduce this opponent to a wind turbine installed where the "sun don't shine".

-ERD50
Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #51

My experience with the media on financial topics is that there is an inherent bias towards "customer/small investor = good/unfairly mislead or harmed" and "megacorp = bad/unethical/greedy".

The appallingly bad coverage of the fall out from the collapse of Lehman Brothers on holders of Lehman Brothers structured producs is a perfect example of this. Just about all of the mainstream media reports whcih I read/watched focused on:

1. the fact that they were structured products rather than simplistic bonds, notes or equity securities - it was consistently either stated or implied that this meant that they should never have been sold to retail investors in the first place. The fact that the products contained derivatives was considered a complete analysis the reason why people had lost money and why they should never have been sold in the first place - this was a completely and obviously false analysis

2. because of the security features, the holders of these structured products were often actually better off than holders of plain vanilla notes etc. This was not mentioned in any of the press I read on the issue - not once in several months of reporting

3. the hardship caused by people who had invested their entire life savings in these products. This was always done at the unsolicited behest of the bank/broker selling the products. There was absolutely no mention of the investor's role in the decision making process and (usually) no mention of the fact that the investor would have signed a piece of paper to the effect that they had made the decision themselves

4. almost none of the media reports made any mention of the fact that all investors were (or should have been) provided with documents describing the products including a very bluntly written risk disclosure. It was very rare for the media to ask whether investors had actually read the materials (in Hong Kong investors are requried to confirm they have done so before investing) and whether they understood the statement that there was a risk of total loss of investment

I could give other examples as well.

The problem with this type of reporting is that I instinctively end up wondering what the media is not telling me when I read/watch the news. This may not be a bad thing as it forces me to think more carefully, but uncertainty over the reliability of media reporting does nothing for helping people make decisions with confidence.

Disclosure: none (unless you count shares in banks held through index funds)

My own limited experience in being interviewed by the media has also been very negative. On two occasions my position was completely misrepresented.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This thread migrated to a political discussion. Posts have been removed and the thread and has been closed.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread