Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Retirement account caps
Old 03-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement account caps

I've been reading about the proposed federal cap on how much a person can have in all of their tax-favored retirement plans so they don't get too much in retirement. Since there are already limits on what can contributed, and since all the tax deferred money is eventually taxed when distributed, what's the point? It seems contrary to all the talk about how everyone needs to save more for retirement.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't expect this to be passed.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where have you been reading this? Link, please.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Where have you been reading this? Link, please.
Right here on this site
How does budget proposal affect retirement accounts

Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I suppose there are many reasons. One would be control, this govt is all about control over the past few administrations but wickly so with the current. Another would be that tax favored are tax deferred or tax free and the govt wants that money in a taxable vehicle. Why wait until everyone is 70 1/2 for RMDs when you can tax their money every year. Another may be just to punish the "wealthy" you know people like us here. I suppose there could be more but off the top of my head these come to mind.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1. I knew we'd already been through this discussion once (including the current revenue vs deferred revenue issue), but nothing wrong with having another. Something will have to give with entitlements sooner or later, we can't be 'up in arms' every time there's ANY proposed change.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar to last year's proposal (that Alan linked above). It's been re-introduced this year:

http://www.theslottreport.com/2014/0...ludes.html?m=1
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless I read the proposal incorrectly, the cap would be 3.2 million. A spouse could have another 3.2 million. That's unreasonable?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

This sounds exactly like the AMT when they were introducing it. There were a handful of people who got lucky/exploited some loopholes to take advantage of tax shelters and the government came out to "get" them. Given the retirement crises that's about to hit this nation I'm not sure I would expect to see this ever happening if nothing but for the simple fact its way to complicated to keep track of. I.E. multiple accounts, employers, massive market fluctuations, etc...

I'm personally more worried about a cap in the amount of tax deductive contributions per year rather than the total amount that can be placed contributed via a $3.2 million dollar limit. But given how efficient and focused our government is... nothing would surprise me...
Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #10

I doubt we'd ever be subject to the cap, but even if we were I think it would be a fair change to implement to address the retirement crisis. It is something that will definitely be a really big problem that will have to be addressed, somehow, and capping retirement contributions like this is just about the least harm-causing way I can think of.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theduckguru View Post
Unless I read the proposal incorrectly, the cap would be 3.2 million. A spouse could have another 3.2 million. That's unreasonable?
Just a proposal with NO cap on how much one can put aside, only on how much can be in sheltered accounts. It won't pass anytime soon if ever, but what's a better option?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theduckguru View Post

Uh well that is a high value but I'd counter WHY should there be any cap whether $3.2 M or $3.2B? The govt needs to stay out of your business period. What's next they'll tell you the kind of car you can drive? Or how about how many oz your big gulp soda can be. Oh right that ones been played huh!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
A thread mercifully ended by Porky
Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The cap would have too be much lower to affect me... :-P

I think a cap on tax-deferred accounts is a reasonable idea.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #15

The problem is some certain people can shift A LOT of money into retirement accounts...tens of millions.

Then there are all of those goofy rules about stepped up basis inheriting a IRA...makes no sense.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Uh well that is a high value but I'd counter WHY should there be any cap whether $3.2 M or $3.2B? The govt needs to stay out of your business period.
How much income that you've derived from society's economy which you shelter from taxation by society is society's business.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

There's already HCE restrictions on the worker bees...have no problem with the Romney rule.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Then there are all of those goofy rules about stepped up basis inheriting a IRA...makes no sense.
I don't understand this. Could you explain?

Money withdrawn from an IRA is taxed at ordinary rates, so we can't take advantage of the capital gains exclusions rules.

I haven't inherited an IRA but can't see how one of those would be any different.

What might I be missing?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
How much income that you've derived from society's economy which you shelter from taxation by society is society's business.
+1.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I don't understand this. Could you explain?

Money withdrawn from an IRA is taxed at ordinary rates, so we can't take advantage of the capital gains exclusions rules.

I haven't inherited an IRA but can't see how one of those would be any different.

What might I be missing?
Oh I was wrong sorry. I thought IRA gets a step up in basis but it doesn't. Other assets do. I will never inherit a dime so haven't dug deep into that information.