senator Franken

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn54

Full time employment: Posting here.
We Minnesotans aren't slow, just deliberate.:D Finally after 7 or 8 months we have 2 senators representing MN. Franken should make things interesting if not amusing. I think he's just a little to the left of our former senator, the late Paul Wellstone.

This has been a very interesting case and I'm sure many are relieved it's finally settled. I honestly don't know much about Franken's politics, but have enjoyed him as a comedian and writer. As someone who has lived just outside of DC most of my life, I can attest to the fact we could use someone with a good sense of humor 'round these parts!

I'm sure the citizens of MN are happy to have this behind them. They should be very proud of the experienced, thoughtful senator they have elected.

I wish Cioleman would have taken this to the federal courts. The reports on the creative vote counting (always, somehow, resulting in increasing margins for Franken) indicate that the process could have benefited from some outside "sunlight." Still, in the interviews with Coleman, it seemed like his heart really wasn't in for a long battle (in the courts) to resolve the issues. Or, maybe "Minnesota nice" just looks a lot like "please do what you want to me" to this outsider.

Anyway, congratulations to MN. With a fillibuster-proof majority in the House, a strong majority in the Senate, and a very active President, voters will surely know who should get the credit and the blame for anything that happens in DC.

This being the 60th senator (nominally) to be with the Democratic caucus in the Senate, it gives them a theoretical filibuster-proof majority.

With all the potential FIRE-related agenda items up for grabs, most particularly health care reform and changes in tax law, it remains to be seen whether Harry Reid can keep all 59 of his "soldiers" in line with the "company policy." And it also means, I suppose, that whatever comes out of these issues is more likely to be specifically closer to what the president and Congressional leaders want -- but they will have to keep some Blue Dogs in line who will no doubt balk at the price tag of some items on this agenda.

Some of them could have major ramifications in our financial and career decisions whether FIREd or still in the Quest for FIRE.

Personally, I don't think Washington has ever been this much of a one-party town in my lifetime, and the lack of "checking power" from the opposition is a cause of concern for me -- and would be regardless of which party held the power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, so they say...

... With a fillibuster-proof majority in the House, a strong majority in the Senate, and a very active President, voters will surely know who should get the credit and the blame for anything that happens in DC.

Not to be to much of a stickler... but they do not have fillibusters in the House... they ram through whatever the majority wants... they can limit debate etc...

Not to be to much of a stickler... but they do not have fillibusters in the House... they ram through whatever the majority wants... they can limit debate etc...
Right, thanks. Should be "Fillibuster proof majority in the Senate."

It's about time we got some professional comedians in the Senate. Too many amateur comedians have been running things for too long. ;)

I'm sure the citizens of MN are happy to have this behind them. They should be very proud of the experienced, thoughtful senator they have elected.

I wish Cioleman would have taken this to the federal courts. The reports on the creative vote counting (always, somehow, resulting in increasing margins for Franken) indicate that the process could have benefited from some outside "sunlight." Still, in the interviews with Coleman, it seemed like his heart really wasn't in for a long battle (in the courts) to resolve the issues. Or, maybe "Minnesota nice" just looks a lot like "please do what you want to me" to this outsider.

Anyway, congratulations to MN. With a fillibuster-proof majority in the House, a strong majority in the Senate, and a very active President, voters will surely know who should get the credit and the blame for anything that happens in DC.

I think that there was plenty of sun. You are never going to be totally accurate in a vote count--perfect being the enemy of good and all.

Given how close the election was it might as well been decided with a coin flip.

BTW, Franken is not as liberal as Wellstone. I have met and talked to Franken several times. If I had my choice, it would have been his wife that got the senate seat. :)

As Will Rogers once said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

alfrank.jpg

And there is no such thing as unity of direction among Democrats... they herd about as well as cats.

Now Republicans, they stick together and will run as a unit without regard to the cliff ahead... which is why they lost the Presidency, and majorities in the House and Senate IMHO.

Tell that to those RINO's who crossed the aisle for the stimulus bill and the cap and trade bill.

Why should anyone complain about Franken being in the Senate? Apparently he is good enough, smart enough and doggone it, people like him!

Tell that to those RINO's who crossed the aisle for the stimulus bill and the cap and trade bill.

Remember, the foundation for the financial "rescue" was laid by the previous administration. Someone must work the mop.

Cap and trade ... don't know what is/was going on there.

Just read this - touches on OP about Franken and Cap & Trade:
[Senator] Inhofe, however, stood by his prediction that a historic climate change bill narrowly approved by the House last week faces certain defeat in the Senate.

“It’s dead in the water,’’ he said.

Inhofe said the much-anticipated conclusion of a Senate race in Minnesota that will give Democrats the 60 votes needed to overcome Republican filibusters would not be enough to save the climate change bill.

“I’ll tell you what a lot of people are thinking, and that is it looks like things are going to be over and we are going to get the clown from Minnesota,’’ he said.

“They are not going to get more than 35 votes.’’

Asked if he was referring to Al Franken as the clown from Minnesota, Inhofe confirmed he was.

“I didn’t mean to be disrespectful. I don’t know the guy, but … for a living he is a clown,’’ the senator said.

“That’s what he does for a living.’’

From what I understand, most of those who voted for it don't understand it either. 350 pages were added a few hours before the vote, something like that.

-ERD50

There are lots of clowns in politics but they rarely see that in themselves.

Why should anyone complain about Franken being in the Senate? Apparently he is good enough, smart enough and doggone it, people like him!

:LOL: Good one. He was great on SNL. I didn't follow his campaign, did he use any of his comic material out on the street? Probably very little. I wonder how anyone can look at his face and take him seriously?

As Will Rogers once said, "I'm not a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

Me too. But near as I can tell looking at both parties - they have one thing in common.

They're politicians.

heh heh heh - this is where someone can post their favorite Mark Twain quote. :cool:

Remember, the foundation for the financial "rescue" was laid by the previous administration. Someone must work the mop.

Yes, but I'm not talking TARP. I'm talking about the stimulus monstrosity, that was the sole responsibility of the Dems (and 3 Repubs), was the first broken promise concerning legislation (the one about posting bills online at least 24 hours before voting), and hasn't really done anything.

UH..ok...........:rolleyes:

Easy, it will put American business growth back 50 years, other than that, a great idea........:whistle:

And his book, "I'm Good Enough" (etc.), on which the movie "Stuart Saves His Family," is based, is a novel in diary/daily affirmation form--one of my favorites and a sadly sweet story.

Not to mention he played baggage handler #1 in "Trading Spaces," which singlehandedly probably brought in five or six votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom