Join Early Retirement Today

Stanford Financial perp walk #1
Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stanford Financial perp walk #1

Oh boy! Houston's federal courthouse will once again be the backdrop for some great "perp walk" scenes where an accused white collar criminal is led in handcuffs past a media horde.
HOUSTON -- FBI agents arrested the chief investment officer of troubled Stanford Financial Group on Thursday, accusing Laura Pendergest-Holt of obstructing a Securities and Exchange Commission fraud investigation.

The SEC has been investigating allegations of an $8 billion investment fraud involving Texas billionaire R. Allen Stanford's financial group.

Pendergest-Holt was arrested in Houston, where Stanford Financial Group is based. The FBI said she was taken to the federal detention center and would appear in federal court Friday morning for an arraignment...
I don't believe I have seen the satellite trucks parked down on Rusk Street since Kenny-boy, Jeff and the rest of the Enron boys had their day in the sun.

I predict extensive coverage...some of the reporters may even remember to discuss the legal issues of the case.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18806619_240X180.jpg (5.0 KB, 229 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #2

25 year-old walks in with zero experience and is Queen of the Universe a decade later.
Quote:
Who is Laura Pendergest-Holt? The Baldwyn native, now 35, “had no financial services or securities industry experience” before joining SFG in 1997, according to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Yet less than a decade later she was managing more than $15 billion in assets and running a worldwide team of equity, policy and sector analysts, Pendergest-Holt told the Memphis Business Journal in 2006.
Happens every day, right?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post

Pendergest-Holt was arrested in Houston, where Stanford Financial Group is based. The FBI said she was taken to the federal detention center and would appear in federal court Friday morning for an arraignment...
I wouldn't mind being her prison guard.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Happens every day, right?
"Just lucky, I guess."

Was she tutored by Team Enron?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Was she tutored by Team Enron?
No connection to Enron I know of.

Apparently her path to the pokey began in the same small town in Mississippi as Stanford's #2 guy. Knew him from Sunday School.

The perp walk was a relatively quiet event, as seen in this story. But listen to the disappointment in the voices of the reporters as they tell us the trial will be in Dallas, not Houston!

Houston News | Video On Demand | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas
Old 03-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I never made it down to the perp walk myself, but there were a few who would go there for lunch or whatever and watch...

Once we were eating and the 'perps' walked by the window on their way there, but the reporters were at the fed building so we did not see anything different than business men walking down the street...

This also smells of a way to flip the small guy to rat out the big guy... just like they did with Enron...
Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
This also smells of a way to flip the small guy to rat out the big guy... just like they did with Enron...
Ask and you shall receive:

An artist rendering shows Texas billionaire, R. Allen Stanford, second from left, is flanked by his attorneys Christina Sarchio, left, and Maria Jankowski, second from right, during a hearing at Federal court in front of U.S. Magistrate M. Hannah Lauck in Richmond, Va. , Friday, June 19, 2009. Prosecutor Steven Tyrrell is at right.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
25 year-old walks in with zero experience and is Queen of the Universe a decade later. Happens every day, right?
Yeah, everyday..........

I need to start shmoozing with some Wall Street types, I'm never going to make it in the newspapers the way I'm going now........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'm never going to make it in the newspapers the way I'm going now........
You just need to work on your dissocial personality skills. There's plenty of opportunities out there, but you're letting morals, ethics, and empathy get in your way! Oh, and you also have to convince yourself that you will never get caught.

I've run across way too many people who were dissocial/anti-social/sociopathic to varying degrees. They're interesting types but completely baffling. They only see what they want and how to get it and nothing much comes into play as far as I've ever been able to discern. Ask them "didn't you ever think you would get caught?" and the usual reply is "no" or just a blank stare of incomprehension.

I've run across a few big scammers over the years and they are all alike. Their actions seem audacious at first, but I think it's not bravery as much as it is that they are practically oblivious to the negative consequences of their actions - either to themselves or their victims.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
25 year-old walks in with zero experience and is Queen of the Universe a decade later. Happens every day, right?
If we can double the age, I may have just found my new career. I think I have the schmooze down pat.
I just have to let go of my morals. NOT!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You just need to work on your dissocial personality skills. There's plenty of opportunities out there, but you're letting morals, ethics, and empathy get in your way! Oh, and you also have to convince yourself that you will never get caught.

I've run across way too many people who were dissocial/anti-social/sociopathic to varying degrees. They're interesting types but completely baffling. They only see what they want and how to get it and nothing much comes into play as far as I've ever been able to discern. Ask them "didn't you ever think you would get caught?" and the usual reply is "no" or just a blank stare of incomprehension.

I've run across a few big scammers over the years and they are all alike. Their actions seem audacious at first, but I think it's not bravery as much as it is that they are practically oblivious to the negative consequences of their actions - either to themselves or their victims.

I remember a part of one interview with a murdering sociopath... one of the questions was did he feel anything at all about killing the people.. IIRC, his response was something like 'do you think anything about squashing that fly?'...

So, yes, if you have a full blown sociopath, they DO think differently than you and me (unless of course you are one)...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I remember a part of one interview with a murdering sociopath... one of the questions was did he feel anything at all about killing the people.. IIRC, his response was something like 'do you think anything about squashing that fly?'...

So, yes, if you have a full blown sociopath, they DO think differently than you and me (unless of course you are one)...
Scary, he equated a fly with a human being.........sounds like Hannibal Lecter..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #13

Here's the real deal folks. Stanford arriving at the back parking lot of the courthouse in Houston.

Judge gave him a bond of half a mil in spite of the prosecutor's protests. That's not unusual, probation is always lenient in their pre-trial detention recommendations.

Dick DeGuerin is his attorney - and they don't get much better than that man. They could bring Stanford in to court with stolen money falling out of his pockets, twenty witnesses and a videotape; and DeGuerin would still have a decent chance at a not guilty verdict. This one will be a battle.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Here's the real deal folks. Stanford arriving at the back parking lot of the courthouse in Houston.

Judge gave him a bond of half a mil in spite of the prosecutor's protests.Dick DeGuerin is his attorney - and they don't get much better than that man.
Does that explain why he's smirking smiling?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
It might be; DeGuerin is that good. If I ever find myself wearing the orange jumpsuit some day he's the guy I'm calling. Sell everything and go into hock, but get him on my team. When I was w*rking there were two rules on getting help when you were totally screwed; have them take me to Ben Taub Hospital only if I'm already dead, and get me Dick DeGuerin if I'm guilty as hell.

Which makes me guess that Sandford has access to some big funds somewhere. DeGuerin's services are not cheap. Somebody working for one of his associates tried to hire me as an expert witness last year for a much lower profile case. I really wasn't interested (I knew the defendant and can't stand the greasy little cockroach) so I tried to scare them off with what I thought was a ridiculous fee - they didn't even hiccup before agreeing. Stanford's legal bill will be stunning before it's all over.

Stanford's smile might be because he genuinely believes he is innocent. He has been saying that the feds only indicted him to save face and they can't possibly win.

Or, he might just be a arrogant and cocky crook.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #16

Just read today's story on Stanford. His release on bond is being delayed because the prosecutor is still trying to get him detained. Stanford’s release delayed until Monday | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

There is a video on the left side of the page that actually runs a series of brief videos on the Stanford case. First one is DeGuerin doing his thing, followed by a video of Stanford's perp walk if you're interested. Further in the series of videos is one showing Queen of the Universe Laura Pendergest-Holt with her attorney Dan Cogdell, who is right up there with DeGuerin. Both trained under the guiding hand of the famous Richard "Racehorse" Haynes. The prosecutor is supposed to be a top gun as well. The big boys are coming out to play.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #17

Old 06-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Leonidas,

For me, impossible. The ghosts of my parents and my ancestors watch my every move and give me direction. (And me an atheist. ) Membership in my family has responsibilities and duties regardless of ones intellectual position. Calvinism has long arms.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
For me, impossible. The ghosts of my parents and my ancestors watch my every move and give me direction. (And me an atheist. ) Membership in my family has responsibilities and duties regardless of ones intellectual position. Calvinism has long arms.
You've been able to overcome your Protestant guilt work ethic to move toward ER, right?

Stanford was just taking his own personal approach to the same goal...

Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I heard on the news that he was now on anti-depressants, and no longer self-medicating with alcohol...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote