Where and how do you get your news?

Drudge Report :whistle:

Local newspaper

CNN.com

MSNBC.com

DW watches TV news, but by then I've seen most of what they have via Internet.

I'm sure that I am not alone, but for me, the news as presented on TV has (normally) become more of another entertainment program...and so FOX is high on my list when I do watch it every 2-3 months or so....it can be much funnier and even more entertaining than any of the other 500+ channels :LOL:

I get headline news (i.e. did the world end today?) from a variety of sources, including CNN, Yahoo, Fox, etc. Use to watch talk shows and pundits, but decided it was mostly hot air...

Like others have said, I'm much happier when I don't watch the news...

I get my news from the BBC (in the evening) and Bloomberg (background noise in the morning when I am getting ready for w*rk). I subscribe to the WSJ online edition and scan through it in the morning, read it a little closer in the evening. I read the local newspaper on line also. My son tells me I need to start watching the Colbert Report and Jon Stewart so that I really know what is going on.

Drudge, Newsmax for an overview. I view them as the Wiki of news, a good place to start but not really the end all.

Money, Wall Street Journal, Fox, CNN, Guardian, BBC, Local rag and internet TV sites, Yahoo, Fedsmith, mish-mash of other sites for follow-up on interesting stories or anything that I feel might be spun.

For local news, News12, my local cable TV news station here on Long Island. I used to view Newsday's (Long Island's major newspaper) website but they started charging those who were not subscribers to its print edition or to Cablevisions's (Newsday's parent company) premium service (I have their basic package) so I stopped with them.

For broader news, PBS and CNN (including its website). Unfortunately, my local cable TV provider has some of its channels on that thing which requires a special box (HD?) to see them and I won't pay them for it. Therefore, I no longer get MSNBC or CSPAN/2 along with several other channels.

I do watch the Sunday morning news shows but they all air at the same time so it is tough to watch them all. Not having MSNBC any more prevents me from watching reruns of NBC's shows (MTP and Chris Matthews) later on Sunday. Sadly, I can still watch Fox News Channel although most of their "news" shows sicken me.

I also get some of my news from Jon Stewart, Colbert, and Jay Leno, as they are far more fun to watch!

Drudge, Newsmax for an overview. I view them as the Wiki of news, a good place to start but not really the end all.

Money, Wall Street Journal, Fox, CNN, Guardian, BBC, Local rag and internet TV sites, Yahoo, Fedsmith, mish-mash of other sites for follow-up on interesting stories or anything that I feel might be spun.

Oh, you mean everything... :whistle:

Daily: Wall St. Journal, MarketWatch, Squawk Box every morning (think I'm the only devotee here); also, BBC for so objective a view as I can get over here, Kiplingers...but anything I can find on the net also.

Mostly internet - BBCnews.com, CNN.com, Huffingtonpost.com and MSNBC.com and CBC.com (Canadian news). I hardly watch television. I can't stand the blatant disregard for journalistic integrity, particularly on Fox so it's one channel I will never watch.

Oh, you mean everything... :whistle:

Good point. I was more referring to things like 10 soldiers killed in Afghanistan, or a bridge fell down in Tennessee, or a hurricane is brewing in the Atlantic as stories that don't get too much spin.

DD has learned a valuable life lesson. She w*rks as a receptionist in an office where they have a TV on the wall showing CNN all day. She used to call us with the exciting news stories of the day (balloon boy, etc). Then she came to realize that they get pretty much anything breaking wrong, and even later don't clarify their errors. That was good. Now, however, she's reached a point where she can block it all out so effectively that when we mention something newsie, she didn't even know it happened. Excellent skill to develop so young. :LOL:

Good point. I was more referring to things like 10 soldiers killed in Afghanistan, or a bridge fell down in Tennessee, or a hurricane is brewing in the Atlantic as stories that don't get too much spin.

That's really all I want from "news" coverage. I can get viewpoints from [-]all the opinionated assholes[/-] pundits of every stripe on radio, tv, interweb, etc., if I'm in the mood for it...

I listen to NPR and read our local newspaper. It seems that most of the news broadcasting has an agenda, and I don't like the hype and hysteria. The news appears to be slanted, depending upon who is the sponsor. Besides, we don't have a TV:cool:

I think the news is slanted on NPR..............:LOL::LOL:

I also enjoy a variety:
NPR, CNN, NY Times, CNBC, CSPANs, BBC, and occasionally MSNBC
Local news on the radio and local news internet sites
Newsy on my iPad

(I used to watch FBN but I dumped them when the Fox News slant became evident there too. I won't let Fox News in my space or spirit.)

I've noticed many people here are saying they get their news from several sources, but if you actually look at their sources they are either mostly left or mostly right leaning sources. Few actually get their news from sources with opposing viewpoints. Interesting.

I've noticed many people here are saying they get their news from several sources, but if you actually look at their sources they are either mostly left or mostly right leaning sources. Few actually get their news from sources with opposing viewpoints. Interesting.

I would prefer to get my news presented matter-of-factly, untainted by a third party viewpoint preferably. I have a brain, I can use it to make up my own opinion.:)

Can anyone point me to any such news outlet in America?

Where and how do you get your news?

From DH. He's on the computer before I am, so I ask if anything is goin' on. I get a five word summary....then have my coffee.
sFun_mornincoffee.gif

I get the local newspaper delivered every morning. Find lots of interesting tidbits about my locale that I'd never know otherwise. For example, this morning, an article describing how the primary natural gas supply pipe for SoCal Gas Co. runs less than 100' from where I am currently sitting. Installed in the 50's and apparently according to the gas co. there is nothing to worry about, since it's designed to last a long, long time. That and smart pigs running in it who knows how often. Looking at the corrosion on the pipe coming out of the ground feeding my gas meter and house doesn't make me too comforted, since it looks about to have been corroded through about now. Amazing how much freaking crime there is nearby too.

Otherwise I only get news from you guys here. I figure if its worth knowing somebody will bring it up!

Since no one mentioned it (or I missed it), the Google news page is my main source for news. Since they post headlines from many sources it makes it pretty easy to seek out what might be less slanted views, or I can purposely choose what I consider a heavily biased source (right or left), just to see what those people are making of the story. I may not agree, but since this world is made up of some of both extremes, I like to keep tabs on it.

And, as was just mentioned, this forum. It does tend to hit the news items of interest to this group that I might overlook otherwise. Plus the radio some of the day, if I'm away from the computer and want to know if aliens are attacking. GMA in the AM, just to wake up and get news/weather and a little entertainment.

I hear 'ya lets-retire, I don't have cable so I can't really comment on how slanted the cable Fox news is, but I find it a little amusing that someone can call that out as biased (I don't doubt it), but list the huffingtonpost.com as if it isn't! :ROFLMAO:

This world is an amusing place. - ERD50

I would prefer to get my news presented matter-of-factly, untainted by a third party viewpoint preferably. I have a brain, I can use it to make up my own opinion.:)

So would I. Unfortunately I have not found any source that presents news without any spin. That is why I try to check sources from both sides of the spectrum.

Mostly NPR. Some on line. I used to get the Wash Post but no more. Can't stand TV news-tainment

Yep, that's how I see it, too. BTW, which group do I swing with? I can't figure out which direction the Onion leans. I need to know, so I can belong. Somewhere. :(

Back
Top Bottom