Chromebook?

There are a number of new Chromebooks that also run Android apps. But not all of the Chromebooks will do that yet. Apparently, the testing process is rather time consuming.

Interesting. I note that the policy is an "Auto Update Policy" and states that "When a device reaches AUE, it means that automatic software updates from Google will no longer be provided." Given that the policy refers to auto updates, I wonder if that means that the user can manually update? Perhaps then the Chrome OS devices can still be updated after those dates, it's just that the updates won't be automatic?

My 2013 Samsung Chromebook went off support earlier this year and I thought no further updates would be applied. I discovered you can query the OS version through "Settings". It tells me that my software is up-to-date and that the build was done on July 14, 2019. Whether that is the up-to-date version for all Chromebooks or just the most recent one for mine is unclear. At any rate, it's running fine and I've turned off the notifications that tell me I'll no longer receive updates.

I don't see any way that you can manually request/apply updates but you can change "channels" (things like "stable", "developers", "beta").

There was a stable channel update in mid August to version 76.0.3809.102.

I don't see any way that you can manually request/apply updates ...
Go to settings (click the clock on the bottom right of the screen, then click the settings button which looks like a snowflake to me) ... on the left panel of the settings screen near the bottom select "About Chrome OS" ... you should then see a screen that shows the Chrome OS version number that you are using, there should be a button that reads "Check for updates" ... click that button.

The current Chrome OS version on the stable channel is 76 and the current version number is 76.0.3809.136 on my Chromebox.

Last edited:
Go to settings (click the clock on the bottom right of the screen, then click the settings button which looks like a snowflake to me) ... on the left panel of the settings screen near the bottom select "About Chrome OS" ... you should then see a screen that shows the Chrome OS version number that you are using, there should be a button that reads "Check for updates" ... click that button.

The current Chrome OS version on the stable channel is 76 and the current version number is 76.0.3809.136 on my Chromebox.

That’s right. While there is a “Check for updates” button on my Chromebook, it identifies the currnt stable major version number as 75, not 76.

My guess is that the manufacturer (in my case, Samsung) froze updates on my device once it reached end-of-support.

My guess is that the manufacturer (in my case, Samsung) froze updates on my device once it reached end-of-support.

Google supports each architecture for 6.5 years. Then you're on your own. So its likely the freeze was due to Google's policy not the manufacturers.

Given that many computers can no longer run the most modern OS after 5-7 years I don't see this as a big problem. Just be aware of it.

Google supports each architecture for 6.5 years. Then you're on your own. So its likely the freeze was due to Google's policy not the manufacturers.

I have been using a Chromebook to do my financial work on for many years. I also use my iPad. But, I have noticed that the iPad apps are not fully functional. Both Schwab and Fidelity have more when using a browser on an appropriate computer.

Alas, my Chromebook is well past the date when security updates where provided. Also, the keyboard is getting a bit wonky. So I want to get a new one.

My main requirements are a 13 to 15 inch screen and a lighted keyboard. I also want it new enough so that I can get a good five years of use before the security updates are done.

Any suggestions? What has worked for you?

I keep my laptops for a long time and I don't do any gaming or routine photo/video editing on my computers so my performance requirement for laptop is pretty low. All my work is done on the cloud.

I recently purchased three laptops including two new chromebooks (11" lenovo and 17" asus, $99 and $150 respectively), and a used 12" windows 2-in-1 lenovo 300e for $79.

After my chromebooks lose the system updates, I figured I can put Linux on them so they wont become e-waste after only 5 yr of use. All the laptops I bought have x86 architecture rather than arm for that reason: It is always easier to get x86 linux drivers than having to compile on arm from the source.

It has been 2 months and I am selling the chromebooks that I have not used. The windiws laptop is doing everything I needed, even the slicer software cura for 3d printing. It is a really nice and inexpensive upgrade from my previous daily driverThinkPad x61 / R61i from 2008 and earlier.

Back
Top Bottom