Getting internet content on my TV...

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
How do I do that?

Say I'm watching the free ESPN feed of a football game.

What do I need to have in order to get that on the TV?

Thanks.

:confused:

Internet on TV

Our Vizio TV has an input connector on the back for an RGB input. My wife likes to stream Netflix movies, so I set her up. All 4 items I got from eBay.
1, a 25 foot RGB cable with integral audio cable
2. a short RGB cable
3. an RGB AB switch
4. A wireless mouse
Connect item 1 between the TV and item 3. Output 1
connect item 2 between your monitor and output 2 of item 3
connect the existing RGB cable from the PC to the input of item 3
You may need audio extender cables to connect to the PC at one end of item 1 and to the tv at the other end.

We have an old laptop hooked up to one of the TV's HDMI inputs. There's a small wireless keyboard with touchpad sitting on the coffee table. We don't use it very often anymore as it's a bit clunky to navigate. But there are a few channels/programs we can't get any other way, so I leave it hooked up.

Most likely, we'd use the ESPN app on FireTV. There's also the option of casting content from a tablet or smartphone. We have a Chromecast and we can also cast directly to the FireTV.

IF your computer (laptop) and TV both have HDMI ports, the easiest thing in the world is just to hook them up with a cheap hdmi cable (they literally sell them at the dollar store)
Plug it in both ends and choose the right input from the tv menu. Hey presto, there's the game. Basically your tv becomes the monitor for your computer.

My TV has a VGA input. I simply ran a VGA cable from the computer to the TV.

I use an Apple TV box and from my laptop or iPhone just send it wirelessly to the tv.

What inputs does your TV have? What outputs does your Computer have? You need to bridge those two.

If you can "cast" those programs from your computer, a Chromecast on the TV works nicely - no wires.

-ERD50

I use my iPad connected to the TV. Doesn't get any easier.

I use an Apple TV box and from my laptop or iPhone just send it wirelessly to the tv.

We also use AppleTV. Ours has an Ethernet cable to our house router (our house is wired for Ethernet so we direct connect for speed) and an HDMI connection to our TV and audio system. It also appears on our local wifi, so we can control it from our iOS devices, but we usually just use the AppleTV directly with its remote to stream to the TV.

We've tried them all. I think the Apple TV is the easiest to use. My husband has been watching the Australian Open on ESPN on the Apple the last few days.

If you can "cast" those programs from your computer, a Chromecast on the TV works nicely - no wires.

-ERD50

+1

A Chromecast connected to an HDMI port pretty much lets you 'cast' anything on the Chrome browser to your TV.

I have one and I don't use it frequently, but when I do use it, it works very well. It's a good product.

I'm watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime through Apple TV as I'm posting this. Streaming from my laptop.

We watch a lot of Amazon Prime video on Apple TV too. I find that the Amazon Video app on my iPad works a lot better than my laptop for streaming Amazon Video to the Apple TV.

Last edited:
Hard to be 100% accurate, unless you know the inputs/outputs on computer and tv.

After years of trying different methods, I graduated to Roku. Even asked my kid to buy it for me, as birthday gift, so there were no startup costs!

The pivot technology in this is HDMI. Is that on the PC and on the TV?

Also, how do you receive internet on the PC? What TV? What PC?

We watch a lot of Amazon Prime video on Apple TV too. I find that the Amazon Video app on my iPad works a lot better than my laptop for streaming Amazon Video to the Apple TV.

I'll give that a try. Sometimes the video seems a little jerky from the laptop. - thanks for the tip.

+1

A Chromecast connected to an HDMI port pretty much lets you 'cast' anything on the Chrome browser to your TV.

I have one and I don't use it frequently, but when I do use it, it works very well. It's a good product.
Chromecast works great. Best buy will put them on sale occasionally for $25.

Without knowing what the OP is using:
  • eco system (Apple, Win, other),
  • viewing source (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone),
  • TV (smart, dumb, inputs, analog)
it's nearly impossible to recommend anything. :confused:

Last edited:
Without knowing what the OP is using:
  • eco system (Apple, Win, other),
  • viewing source (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone),
  • TV (smart, dumb, inputs, analog)
it's nearly impossible to recommend anything. :confused:

Chromecast works with iPhone®, iPad®, Android phone and tablet, Mac® and Windows® laptop, desktop and Chromebook. So as long as you have a HDMI slot and a wifi connection you are good to go with Chromebook.

No HDMI, no Chromecast.

Chromecast works with iPhone®, iPad®, Android phone and tablet, Mac® and Windows® laptop, desktop and Chromebook. So as long as you have a HDMI slot and a wifi connection you are good to go with Chromebook.

No HDMI, no Chromecast.

Right, and as Midpack pointed out, the OP has not been back with any information. Maybe there is no HDMI on the TV?

It's all guess work, and of little value without that info. Hopefully, the OP will be back shortly so meaningful suggestions can be made.

It's a little like asking "I need to remove a screw, what kind of screwdriver should I use?". Hmmm, depends on what kind of screw it is!

-ERD50

Right, and as Midpack pointed out, the OP has not been back with any information. Maybe there is no HDMI on the TV?

It's all guess work, and of little value without that info. Hopefully, the OP will be back shortly so meaningful suggestions can be made.

It's a little like asking "I need to remove a screw, what kind of screwdriver should I use?". Hmmm, depends on what kind of screw it is!

-ERD50

You are correct. I was simply pointing out that ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant when it comes to Chromecast. All comes down to the HDMI on the set.

You are correct. I was simply pointing out that ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant when it comes to Chromecast. All comes down to the HDMI on the set.

Right. And we don't know if the TV in question has HDMI. That certainly is relevant when it comes to using Chromecast - how can it be irrelevant?

-ERD50

No HDMI, no Chromecast.
We don't know if the OP has Chromecast.

But let's assume he/she does.

Of the few things we know, the OP is asking to stream free ESPN (what app/site exactly?). If he/she has a pay TV subscription, maybe - though that didn't work very well initially, maybe it's better now.

If not, he/she would have to setup mirroring. Given the nature of the OP's question, would you assume he/she can readily setup mirroring from whatever device? It's not that easy IME.

Which comes back to not enough information.

Last edited:
Right. And we don't know if the TV in question has HDMI. That certainly is relevant when it comes to using Chromecast - how can it be irrelevant?

-ERD50

Wow...read the POSTS! I said ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant with Chromecast. I said that HDMI was NECESSARY not irrelevant in both posts.

Can you understand this? If you have an hdmi outlet on your tv then your ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant when it comes to using Chromecast.

Wow...read the POSTS! I said ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant with Chromecast. I said that HDMI was NECESSARY not irrelevant in both posts.

Can you understand this? If you have an hdmi outlet on your tv then your ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant when it comes to using Chromecast.

And I'm just saying it's confusing to say it is irrelevant what you have, as long as you have HDMI (and we don't know that the set has HDMI or not). Just is odd wording to me.

It's kind of like saying it doesn't matter if you have 4 tires on your car, as long as you have 4 tires on your car.

Enough - I'm curious to hear what the OP has to say.

-ERD50

Wow!! Two pages of help! Thanks everyone. I haven't had a chance to read all of it yet. But I will.

Back
Top Bottom