Music Trivia

Jimmy Page/John Paul Jones - Led Zep
Right!

JPJ was working as an arranger and session player quite a bit before Led Zep.

I like a lot of Led Zep, but really like some of the later stuff when they let JPJ have a bit more freedom with the keyboards and alternate instruments. He also had a way of infecting songs with some serious, usually subtle, funk.

Speaking of the Beatles, I learned this on a tour of the village of Chester in England. Chester is an old walled Roman city. With all of the half-timbered buildings, the old stone structures and the cobblestone streets, it looks like a Disney set. Part of the tour was taking a walk along the top of the wall that surrounds the city. At some point in his life John Lennon lived in a flat in Chester near the wall.

The guide took us to a place on the walk along the top of the wall where the bend of the terrain, the wall, the buildings and the view are such that it creates the optical illusion that the walk along the wall just disappears from view. Like it goes no where.

According to the guide that was the inspiration for the song Nowhere Man...

What man, who eventually rose to fame as a country star, briefly toured as a member of The Beach Boys?

Glen Campbell. He replaced Brian Wilson for a while after Wilson suffered from a nervous breakdown. He was also for a time a member of the famed studio musicians group know as “the wrecking crew”.

Another member of the wrecking crew was a musician named Larry Knechtel. Larry was also a member of the group Bread. In addition to that however one of the things that we’ve all heard, that most people don’t know Larry is responsible for, is the piano in the Simon and Garfunkel song Bridge Over Troubled Waters. He won a Grammy for that effort.

I saw a documentary at one point about the wrecking crew. They were incredible. The artists they worked with and the breadth of music they were involved in and responsible for is simply amazing...

Leon Russell and Jim Gordon (Delaney and Bonnie/Derek and the Dominoes) were also in the Wrecking Crew at one time.

What man, who eventually rose to fame as a country star, briefly toured as a member of The Beach Boys?

Who was the only female member of the Beach Boys?

I've actually heard of two (one was on an album and one toured with them) so either one would count as a correct answer.

Who was the only female member of the Beach Boys?

I've actually heard of two (one was on an album and one toured with them) so either one would count as a correct answer.
Toni Tennille for touring, Carol Kaye (bass) on many records. Carol is another wrecking crew musician.

From memory, not Wikipedia.

Toni Tennille for touring, Carol Kaye (bass) on many records. Carol is another wrecking crew musician.

Correct (from memory)!

EDIT: I just found this video. Very interesting...

Last edited:

Speaking of female bass players... Who was the excellent female bass player for the Talking Heads? (I know the answer). Listen to her on Fear of Music.

Speaking of female bass players... Who was the excellent female bass player for the Talking Heads? (I know the answer). Listen to her on Fear of Music.

Tina Weymouth, Watch the video of her playing on "Nothing But Flowers" (my favourite Talking Heads song).

Didnt she have a big falling out with David Byrne?

Back
Top Bottom