Need tech (laptop) advice

Take your time to run all these replies by your son and thru your head. The great news about laptops is they are almost always on sale. One doesn't need to feel pressure to buy one. "before the sale ends"....

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is how good is your DS at taking care of things and/or keeping track of things. If either one of these might be an issue, I might go with the lower priced version.

I just want to throw this in here just in case your son is interested in programming or will be required to take programming classes. A lot of programming can be done on a Windows PC but a Mac may be required for other languages/classes. You may want to contact the school and speak to the math, science and programming departments to make sure what you buy is what they recommend.

He could always run a Virtual machine and install linux in that to do any non-windows programming.
Could even install Mac OS in the VM, (but he'd have to pay for the OS).

OP - having an SSD in a laptop besides being super fast, also means it's much more resistant to damage as no moving parts. No heads to crash, no spinning platters. etc.

Note, maybe the school has student discounts for things ? , certainly will for software, and his .edu email account will qualify him for discounts for software, etc.

Gaming laptops will also tend to be bigger and heavier, with fans to cool the hotter chips.

He could always run a Virtual machine and install linux in that to do any non-windows programming.
Could even install Mac OS in the VM, (but he'd have to pay for the OS).
Lol- I have no idea what you just said. [emoji23] He might though.

Back
Top Bottom