Password Managers

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been using Lastpass for years, and it's been great until recently. I use Firefox browser in Private mode, and the Lastpass add-on is barely usable; from user forums I've learned that this is a common problem, and LP is not being responsive.

So what password managers are people using? I'm looking at switching to Dashlane, which gets good reviews.

We use KeePass......DW, the techie, set it up......seems to work OK, but I'm technologically illiterate......(and quite stupid to boot).

I'm really frustrated with lastpass these days too! The latest firefox release seems to have broken its functionality with a number of sites including capitalone.

LastPass in Chrome works well. But some sites give all password managers headaches. CapOne (at least for banking accounts) works ok for me with LastPass.

I tend to use LastPass but don't make use of the plugin any more. If I foget a password I log in and look it up.

My problem is that it will quickly log me out on Chrome under XP -- a problem that I did not have with Firefox under XP.

-gauss

Keepass on a thumb drive. I avoid the cloud and leaving the passwords on my computer.

Bobot, your post leaves me content with having a password manager that is local. One less variable to deal with like in your case with add-on changes to the browser.

Bobot, your post leaves me content with having a password manager that is local. One less variable to deal with like in your case with add-on changes to the browser.

What is the "local" pw mgr?

By local, I meant one that stores your passwords on a database on your computer. Not in the cloud or somewhere else online. You unlock the database with a master password.

The one I use (Windows only) is Password Corral. Another that comes to mind is Password Safe.

What I like about cloud PW managers is that I have access to the passwords from all my devices, no matter where I am, and am never at risk of losing them all from a device malfunction. (Even if the cloud service goes away, each device stores a local copy of the most recent "vault".)

I have used LastPass for nearly six years now, and can't live without it. Works without a problem for me in Chrome (other than sometimes not being able to auto-fill in fields on certain sites, but that's not that big thing). Having it on my phone helps so much, too.

I thought LastPass encrypted a local version on your hard drive, instead of the cloud?

Yes, there is an encrypted local version on your device, unless you have disabled this feature. It is used when LastPass can;t get at the server.

I've been using Lastpass for years, and it's been great until recently. I use Firefox browser in Private mode, and the Lastpass add-on is barely usable; from user forums I've learned that this is a common problem, and LP is not being responsive.

So what password managers are people using? I'm looking at switching to Dashlane, which gets good reviews.

I have been using Dashlane for a few years. It generally works very well; I like the access to the passwords across devices, especially since I have a mix of Windows and iOS devices. It does seem to have trouble from time-to-time after OS updates, but then pretty quickly gets updated to work well again.

It will automatically generate strong passwords, or remember and sync the ones you create yourself. But given the number of passwords needed to function online these days, I just let it take care of creating unique strong passwords for each site.

I do use the premium version which charges an annual fee and allows syncing across devices. For me this is worth the price.

I've been thinking about going to a PW manager too. My problem is that I have conflicting requirements.

I am very leery of putting all my eggs in someone else's basket. Too many "security" companies have been hacked. I really, really hate the idea of putting all my passwords onto some third-party server, along with detailed information about where all my accounts are, linked to my personal data.

That said, it's becoming necessary nowadays to remember a bunch of "real" passwords (for important accounts, not just stupid apps and games) on cell phones and tablets. So some sort of synch capability seems to be a requirement.

I'm also too cheap to pay too much; a monthly fee is probably a deal-breaker.

On the other hand, I don't need anything fancy. I don't need it to detect a password field and auto-fill it. I don't want plug-ins and extensions. I'd be happy to just be able to look up a reminder, and type or copy-and-paste into the password field myself. I'd also probably shy away from overly complex, auto-generated passwords that I'd never have a chance of remembering.

You can see my dilemma. Anyone found a solution without too many compromises?

I've been thinking about going to a PW manager too. My problem is that I have conflicting requirements.

I am very leery of putting all my eggs in someone else's basket. Too many "security" companies have been hacked. I really, really hate the idea of putting all my passwords onto some third-party server, along with detailed information about where all my accounts are, linked to my personal data.

That said, it's becoming necessary nowadays to remember a bunch of "real" passwords (for important accounts, not just stupid apps and games) on cell phones and tablets. So some sort of synch capability seems to be a requirement.

On the other hand, I don't need anything fancy. I don't need it to detect a password field and auto-fill it. I don't want plug-ins and extensions. I'd be happy to just be able to look up a reminder, and type or copy-and-paste into the password field myself. I'd also probably shy away from overly complex, auto-generated passwords that I'd never have a chance of remembering.

I too don't need anything fancy. The with the local password manager, I can copy and paste the user id and password fields. Plus, there is a text section where I store stuff like challenge questions and answers. There also is a password generator but I use a separate program for that and just copy/paste the generated password into the password manager's password field.

As mentioned earlier the advantage of having on the cloud, available to all devices is a valid one. But for me, when I travel with a laptop, I remote into my desktop so have access to all my passwords that way. On the phone, I only access a few sites regularly so don't even want to have access to all my passwords there.

I too don't need anything fancy. The with the local password manager, I can copy and paste the user id and password fields. Plus, there is a text section where I store stuff like challenge questions and answers. There also is a password generator but I use a separate program for that and just copy/paste the generated password into the password manager's password field.

As mentioned earlier the advantage of having on the cloud, available to all devices is a valid one. But for me, when I travel with a laptop, I remote into my desktop so have access to all my passwords that way. On the phone, I only access a few sites regularly so don't even want to have access to all my passwords there.

Keepass on a thumb drive.

- stored off line and off your computer. I back mine up with another thumb drive. My thumb drive requires a password for access and has limited log-in tries. It's a Kingston but there are other models. I like this since if my computer gets stolen or lost, my PWs stay with me. (Keepass does have a cloud feature but it defeats the purpose for me so I have never signed up.)
- generates passwords or allows you to make them up or change the ones they generate
- a screen is provided for notes
- A button is included to fill in name/PW automatically. I like this feature
- I also do not access my financial or other accounts that I want to keep most secure on my phone. But, I often save passwords on my phone or stay logged in which I know is a compromise for my 'less confidential' information

Keepass on a thumb drive.

- stored off line and off your computer. I back mine up with another thumb drive. My thumb drive requires a password for access and has limited log-in tries. It's a Kingston but there are other models. I like this since if my computer gets stolen or lost, my PWs stay with me. (Keepass does have a cloud feature but it defeats the purpose for me so I have never signed up.)
- generates passwords or allows you to make them up or change the ones they generate
- a screen is provided for notes
- A button is included to fill in name/PW automatically. I like this feature
- I also do not access my financial or other accounts that I want to keep most secure on my phone. But, I often save passwords on my phone or stay logged in which I know is a compromise for my 'less confidential' information

Sounds like a good solution for you with the protected thumb drive.

In my case, my laptop is password protected and only contains a couple of passwords (to remote into desktop, for example) on keepass. Thus, if laptop is lost or stolen, my passwords besides the couple aren't there.

My concerns as well. Here's a system I've been using for years now, and it keeps working for me. So many times, my 'bright idea' falls apart or into disuse after a while. This has stood the test of time for me:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/those-pesky-security-questions-82952.html#post1765353

In another thread, I mentioned that I prefer not to use any automated password apps. That might be an irrational fear on my part, but it is what I do, and I know I'm not alone.

So I had mentioned a trick I use (I came up with it independently, but I'm sure it was used by others before me), and it has worked well for me. In short, I have a standard "prefix key" and a standard "suffix key" that are somewhat complex, yet easy for me to remember. So for every site that I want to use a fairly secure password, I use the prefix-suffix and a unique middle word for that site.

So if Prefix is "APPLE123" and suffix is "zebra789" (but use non-dictionary words for better security), I might use "$LB" for the middle word (for "Local Bank" - and since the use of 'special characters varies by site, I add any special characters in the middle word). So for my local bank, my PW would be "APPLE123$LBzebra789". The nice thing is, I can write this down on paper, or on a file in my computer, and all I need is a note to myself for what site it is, and then something like " -- $LB -- ", and I know to add the prefix/suffix. If a bad guy gets that file or paper, they won't know what to do with it. I keep the prefix and suffix written down somewhere else, just in case I have a lapse in memory.
Works for me, is free, and I'm not dependent on any service or software or device.

-ERD50

I've used Password Safe for 15 years or more. Works great. It's local, so no cloud storage. Part of my regular backup routine is to sync the database between desktop, laptop, and phone.

eWallet works well and only stores your private info in locations that you choose. Syncs easily between desktop/laptop and mobile devices.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom