Surfing with an iPad

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
How do those of you that use an iPad to view this site do so? I just got an iPad and am trying to move from my computer desk to the living room chair to do my surfing and reading. Generally, I don't find the iPad that comfortable to use so I'm looking for suggestions. A couple of things that come to mind:

Does this site have an app or do you just use Safari to log in and surf?
Does Safari have an ad blocker?
How do you hold your iPad when you're sitting in a chair?
Do you hold portrait or landscape?

Any help is appreciated as while I'm liking this machine, I'm not very comfortable with it for one of it's main purposes - surfing.

It is very good for reading a book and is very good for looking at photos. The new screen is a lot better than the one I got for DW a few years ago. I got the iPad Pro at Costco $769.99 for the 10.5 inch model with 256 memory.

I use the iPad and prefer it for browsing. I use a stand instead of holding it (this), most of the time landscape, use the iOS ad blocking function (settings /safari/content blockers. The apps I use are subscription newspaper, G Maps and podcasts, most everything else is browsing.

There is an app for this forum for iPad and iPhone - some people like it, others prefer the web version (particularly on an iPad). But it's worth a try.

I have an iPad mini and use Safari to view all sites including this one. I do not like dealing with individual apps - and certainly not for browsing/chats.

I use my iPad mini in vertical mode. It is usually propped on my knee or perched on my belly with one hand holding the top while I have my feet up on a stool.

Last edited:
Get a good cover (we like Fintie) that will support it on your lap at a good angle. I use web browser not apps for sites like this one.

I use my iPad to view this site via Safari as I personally don’t really like the app. Portrait or landscape depending on my mood I guess. It’s helpful to double tap the body of a post to zoom in on it.

I also have the iPad mini and I use the ER.org forum app. It's usually in portrait mode.

I like the ER app a lot, mostly using the Timeline tab or Participated tab.

Before I got my first mini (I'm on a newer iPad mini 4 now) I tried my son's full size iPad. Within a few minutes I could tell it was going to be too heavy and too large to hold with one hand for any length of time. Very happy with the size of the mini. When I bought my mini 4 I gave DH my original one.

Our younger son recently bought the large iPad Pro. It's really big but very thin and light for the size. The screen is gorgeous! Very expensive but it's a business expense for him, so it works out well.

Last edited:
I use an iPad Air2 in landscape mode. I read this forum using Safari. I do not like the app.

I seldom use my iPad for browsing the net. Mostly I use it for games and jigsaw puzzles.

When I do come here on my iPad, I use Safari; like Meadbh, I like Safari better than the app.

While seated in my easy chair, I hold my iPad (with its 9.7" display in landscape mode) with my left hand at the bottom, with my thumb and pinkie in front and widely spread, thumb bent, and my other fingers widely spread behind. My elbow is on the easy chair arm and the iPad can be right up by my face if desired. Meanwhile my right hand is free to touch the screen as needed.

I looked in Google images to find a photo of someone holding their iPad like this, but apparently I am the only person in the entire universe that does it. Works for me, though. I have unusually large, strong hands for a woman, perhaps due to a combination of genetics and years of intensive piano training and practice when I was younger. Anyway, the iPad is extremely stable for me this way and not tiring for me to hold it this way.

Last edited:
I used the app on my ipad mini. I used the ipad always in landscape mode. I had a case for it that was hard rubber and it would "stick" to my thighs while my feet are propped on the ottoman.

I view with a browser on my android tablet and it's annoyingly slick and slids down my legs to my stomach and annoys me to no end.

I use my iPad almost exclusively for surfing the web and find this case most helpful. I also prefer Safari for viewing this forum and many other sites. Landscape mode works best for me.

Last edited:
I use my iPad far more often than my PC these days, especially for web surfing.

I view this site using Safari, I have the ER.org app and use it occasionally on my iPhone, but don’t care for the app. I use AdBlock and it helps, I was getting spammed daily or worse. My iPad sits in my lap and I use it in landscape mode mostly, unless I’m reading an eBook. I bought a leather case at Best Buy that has a couple different positions/angles and an auto shutoff cover. This pic isn’t it, but like it. Lots of companies make them.

4237900_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Last edited:
I use the iPad for most of my web surfing. I use the ER app on the iPad for viewing this forum. I find that I view forums that have apps far more frequently than forums that I access through the web browser.

While seated in my easy chair, I hold my iPad (with its 9.7" display in landscape mode) with my left hand at the bottom, with my thumb and pinkie in front and widely spread, thumb bent, and my other fingers widely spread behind. My elbow is on the easy chair arm and the iPad can be right up by my face if desired. Meanwhile my right hand is free to touch the screen as needed.

This is the way I find myself holding my iPad. Putting it on my lap didn't seem to work. I want it up by my face and at the same basic height. I ordered a handle of sorts to make this a bit better hopefully.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019U1JFMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't tried the app yet, but I will. in the mean time, I did get on through Safari and I've got Adblocker installed. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I was surprised that so many iPad users prefer Safari over the app. I much prefer the app over the web version. I use the “timeline” tab to keep up with new posts. Works for me.

I use the ER app and I switch between vertical and horizontal. If I want to view a poll I just hit the little ... on top right corner and open web view, but I can’t vote. I’m just too lazy to sign in with Safari.

This is the way I find myself holding my iPad. Putting it on my lap didn't seem to work. I want it up by my face and at the same basic height. I ordered a handle of sorts to make this a bit better hopefully.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019U1JFMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't tried the app yet, but I will. in the mean time, I did get on through Safari and I've got Adblocker installed. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Up by your face seems somewhat extreme. I have a small firm pillow I put on my lap that raises it to my viewing height in an easy chair (using reading glasses). Then I use portrait mode with Safari to read websites. Landscape would be for movies.

I mostly use my iPad for browsing the web, and I prefer Chrome to either Safari or the er.org app.

I have a magnetic cover that folds to provide a stand for it and I use it in landscape, and I usually have it on my lap.

AHA!!! Somebody else DOES hold their iPad like this. I was astounded when I couldn't find a single photo or diagram of this way to hold an iPad, in Google images.

OK, so our way of holding an iPad is not so weird after all. Good!

I hae no desire for a handle. When googling, I saw handles that stick to the back of the iPad with a suction cup, and handles like the one you ordered. But I am perfectly happy holding it the way I do.

Up by your face seems somewhat extreme.

Well, with our method of holding the iPad, it can be as close or as far from one's eyes as desired - - depending on how much one's elbow is bent. It works out nicely for me, anyway.

I was surprised that so many iPad users prefer Safari over the app. I much prefer the app over the web version. I use the “timeline” tab to keep up with new posts. Works for me.

+1. Im surprised as well. I use the “unread” tab.

And usually I’m kicked back in a chair with the iPad held in left hand braced against my right leg so I can type with my right hand. Very comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    681.3 KB · Views: 26
Bought a cheapo $10 folding stand, which sits nicely on the arm of the sofa. Holding the phone or pad while browsing for any length of time was causing pain in my hands and elbows.

I use the app in landscape mode. I bought a Zagg keyboard/case combo and I absolutely love it. Expensive but totally worth it. So much easier to type responses, emails, etc. with the keyboard, and the iPad detaches easily when I don’t want to use the keyboard with it.

Back
Top Bottom