What's on YouTube?

History buffs may enjoy Janet Stephens' channel. She is a hairstylist in Baltimore who has become a skilled amateur archaeologist of hairstyles in her spare time. She has presented to archaeological conferences and had papers published.

http://www.studio921spa.com/profiles/JanetStephens.asp?LID=

On Pins and Needles: Stylist Turns Ancient Hairdo Debate on Its Head - WSJ

An interview with Janet on the History Blog:
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/14729

Here is her take on the Roman Vestal Virgins' hairstyle. All that work just to cover it up!
Vestal Hairdressing: recreating the "Seni Crines" - YouTube

And here is a Civil War hairstyle:
http://youtu.be/py2lTxOjvro

Last edited:
I really liked the one on self control with Dan Ariely.

Here's a couple neat ones I came across this week that I liked:

A 50 minute documentary glimpse into the mobile 'vandweller' subculture. For most forum members here this will be a distant plan Z, nevertheless, I found it quite entertaining. I was reminded of the line from Repo Man - "society made me do it".

Last edited:
Okay, it isn't posted on youtube, it's on Facebook.

Who says kids today are worthless? All is not lost, there is hope.

Kid walks into a hardware store, sits down at a piano being worked on, no microphone. Okay, he isn't Jerry Lee Lewis, but he's got some ability. Watch for the "Elvis" lip curl.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202576675049432

Strarted figure skating about four years ago. It is one of my favorite passtimes. I can dream but at 67 unlikely I'll ever get close to this guy's skills:

Another Youtube success story

+1 Virtually any common problem has a video of how to solve it, especially for car and home repair.

My DW told me yesterday evening that she forgot to tell me when she was driving her car home from w*rk and that her check engine light came on and her engine was running rough. She asked if I could hook up my "scanner thing" (OBDII) to see what was wrong. Of course her 4 yr warranty expired last month.

So ran the OBD2 scanner, got the code. Googled the code which showed it as a misfire on the 3rd cylinder. The car is a BMW so I searched a BMW forum and found the most likely problem was a bad ignition coil. Then there was a link to a Youtube video showing how to test for a bad coil and how to replace it.

So this morning I put my IPAD next to the engine compartment and played the Youtube video on how to test and fix the problem. Followed the video step by step. Sure enough that was it. So $62 for the new coil and it is up and running again.

Between forums and Youtube I have saved a lot of money on solving problems just like this.

Just stumbled across this last night - a pretty interesting PBS NOVA show about dogs and their relationship with people. Among other things, dogs are the only animal that can correctly interpret and respond to the human gesture of pointing. Even chimpanzees cannot do that. Dogs can even follow a pair of human eyes to the object the eyes are looking at. I thought it pretty interesting.

Perhaps of interest to musicians, especially guitarists...

http://youtu.be/A0A8cPj_fPo

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

That was cool, had no idea it was a product of (stodgy old) Thomas Organs (or Whirlpool). Long, strange ride.

I was disappointed they didn't throw in the Clavinet lick for "Up on Cripple Creek" - Wah-wa wah-wa, wah-wah-wah-wah wa wahhh wah (though they did mentioned Stevie Wonder using it on Clav). Sounds great on a Rhodes as well. The pot on mine is pretty noisy.

-ERD50

That was cool, had no idea it was a product of (stodgy old) Thomas Organs (or Whirlpool). Long, strange ride.

I was disappointed they didn't throw in the Clavinet lick for "Up on Cripple Creek" - Wah-wa wah-wa, wah-wah-wah-wah wa wahhh wah (though they did mentioned Stevie Wonder using it on Clav). Sounds great on a Rhodes as well. The pot on mine is pretty noisy.

-ERD50

Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa were both pioneers in the use of wah pedals, but they also used them in ways other than wah-wah-wah. Check out "Machine Gun" by Hendrix, and "Return of the Son of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar" by Zappa for good examples of a wah and a distortion pedal being used to create an oscillator-like sound.

Stephen Stills was also an early adopter; check out the live Carry On from Four-Way Street.

A few other wah songs, offhand: Mike McCready/Pearl Jam song "Go", Mick Box/Uriah Heep on "Salisbury", SRV/Vaughan Bros. on "Telephone Song", etc.

For that matter: Pedal to the Metal: The 25 Greatest Wah Solos of All Time | Guitar World

A 50 minute documentary glimpse into the mobile 'vandweller' subculture. For most forum members here this will be a distant plan Z, nevertheless, I found it quite entertaining. I was reminded of the line from Repo Man - "society made me do it".

Really enjoyed that one. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, these guys take their R/C models very seriously. On both, start about one minute in.

And another one:

I spend much to much time watching YouTube documentaries. Lately, I've been liking ones about master craftsmen/women a lot. Have recently watched:

Mastercrafts - BBC TV Series in 6 parts. Blacksmithing, Thatching, etc..
- in a competition format which is a bit silly but lots of interest nonetheless

The Ox - Portrait of a Master Woodworker

Adam Kramer - Revive Vintage Motorcycles

+2
It does make the case for: "The industrial revolution has freed us."

You've grooved to her playing ...

Thanks. Never heard of her, but the list of songs she played on is incredible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

Great interview. Some of the music theory is over my head, but I love hearing people talk about their craft.

Mission Impossible, Bernadette, and a million others.

-ERD50

Friday October 16th
September 29

For those who weren't around at the time...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom