Which would you choose - a 17 inch laptop 2.95 lbs vs a 15.6 inch laptop 2.41 lbs.?

My Chromebook is just a little over 11" and I can see it fine. Of the 2 you are looking at 15" seems plenty big.

My Chromebook is touchscreen so I just enlarge anything too small to read! A true laptop at this size and weight.

The other specs are a LOT more important. What is the CPU, does it have a discreet GPU, are you getting a m.2 drive/SSD or an old style platter HD. How much memory, and so on. Who cares about the weight? Have owned a few laptops, and easily the best has been the Acer Predator Helios 300. A few hundred more than other laptops that have 'comparable' hardware, but they really don't compare.

The specs for notebook computers rarely seem to mention the weight of the power supply. The weight of 2 notebook computers with 2 power supplies can really add up when combined with various other necessities (including, for us, 2 CPAP machines). Power supplies for notebooks with discrete GPUs tend to be heavier. We've switched to traveling with 2 iPads and the weight reduction is substantial. Remote desktop lets me connect with my home PC to run Moneydance downloads.

Kwirk - No doubt there is a difference between tablets and laptops. If someone doesn't need a lot of power, a tablet is the way to go. If someone needs a laptop, might as well get something that can do what a desktop can.. My wife has a laptop and a tablet, and when she gets frustrated with the tablet she gets on the laptop. If someone is going to get a laptop, it is my opinion that spending a few hundred extra and getting one with some decent hardware is the way to go - less chance of regret.

I like to travel, which is why I have an 11.6 inch laptop. I once traveled for work and watched my boss pull out a huge 17 inch laptop at TSA. It was hilarious how big it was.

I ran into this 17" Gram at Costco. It is so light you'd swear it's a fake display model that's just an empty case! I love the full keyboard (num pad) and the tall aspect ratio screen (I run 1920x1200 Dells on my desktop), but I don't think I could handle the shiny screen.

It'd be great to get a laptop with so much battery life; my current laptop has a small battery and a full voltage CPU, so I get just under 2 hours if I'm browsing the web with music playing.

Must... not... buy... new... laptop...

I ran into this 17" Gram at Costco. It is so light you'd swear it's a fake display model that's just an empty case! I love the full keyboard (num pad) and the tall aspect ratio screen (I run 1920x1200 Dells on my desktop), but I don't think I could handle the shiny screen.

It'd be great to get a laptop with so much battery life; my current laptop has a small battery and a full voltage CPU, so I get just under 2 hours if I'm browsing the web with music playing.

Must... not... buy... new... laptop...

This one?

https://www.costco.com/LG-Gram-17-L...n-and-Light-at-2.95lbs.product.100485159.html

You KNOW you want it!!! I bet you can afford it, too, and it looks simply beautiful. I pasted the link just to tempt you. :LOL: (sorry! :blush: ) Laptops are my weakness, I admit it.

I like to travel, which is why I have an 11.6 inch laptop. I once traveled for work and watched my boss pull out a huge 17 inch laptop at TSA. It was hilarious how big it was.

I have a small-ish laptop for the same reason - toting all that extra tonnage on the road hurts. That said - I also carry along a second usb monitor to expand screen space. Thin and almost no extra weight, it makes working on a laptop bearable. There are several nice ones out there Asus, and HP both make good ones and lenovo is bringing one to the party next month as well.

usb_monitor.jpg

This one?

https://www.costco.com/LG-Gram-17-L...n-and-Light-at-2.95lbs.product.100485159.html

You KNOW you want it!!! I bet you can afford it, too, and it looks simply beautiful. I pasted the link just to tempt you. :LOL: (sorry! :blush: ) Laptops are my weakness, I admit it.

You're killing me, W2R! DW and I looked at the LG Gram 17 yesterday at Costco. The $150 off special expires on 5/26. DW keeps telling me to go ahead and buy it but I can't make myself pull out the Citi Costco credit card, which is weird because I love laptops too. My current one (Toshia P875, 17") was made in 2012 but is perfectly fine. I do worry about it dying unexpectedly though. Time for more procrastination......:blush:

Reactions: W2R
I'm in the same boat, have a 7 year old HP 17" which still runs great (after an SSD upgrade a few years ago) but it's a boat anchor and the battery life sucks.

Really want one of these new slim 17s but the price is just way out of line for what I use it for - surfing, taxes/investments and the occasional Android phone/tablet hack.

When they get under a grand I'll get one, not going to go smaller on screen size.

Last edited:
This one?

You are sooo mean! :LOL:

I think the shiny screen is saving me. I like the matte screens and I bet, with that battery life, I'd be tempted to use it outside more often, which would exacerbate the reflections on that type of screen.

And no, I'm not going to search online to see if there's a matte LCD replacement I could swap in. I'm not... really... no.... :angel:

You're killing me, W2R! DW and I looked at the LG Gram 17 yesterday at Costco. The $150 off special expires on 5/26. DW keeps telling me to go ahead and buy it but I can't make myself pull out the Citi Costco credit card, which is weird because I love laptops too. My current one (Toshia P875, 17") was made in 2012 but is perfectly fine. I do worry about it dying unexpectedly though. Time for more procrastination......:blush:
You are sooo mean! :LOL:

I think the shiny screen is saving me. I like the matte screens and I bet, with that battery life, I'd be tempted to use it outside more often, which would exacerbate the reflections on that type of screen.

And no, I'm not going to search online to see if there's a matte LCD replacement I could swap in. I'm not... really... no.... :angel:

Isn't that a gorgeous laptop? :LOL: I love it! I don't care if I have a shiny screen or a matte screen, either. OH well (sigh!) I'll wait, but only because I bought a new 17" Dell gaming laptop just last fall. I am getting a big kick out of it, too. I just love new laptops.

P.S. - - it's always better to replace an old laptop *before* it craters and all your photos and data disappear into a black hole, rather than after. Just a thought.

OK, I just backed mine up this afternoon so I have data loss on the mind.

An old man, behind the times.... :(

I'm not sure where I'd use a laptop. Three $100 refurbished desktops, next to recliners in three rooms. Win10, that goes as fast as I want, and no reason to move a computer from room to room. Since I'm not employed, no reason to use a computer outside the home. All synced.

So, I wonder... if you are retired, where else do you use your laptops? Serious question.:greetings10:

I'm not sure where I'd use a laptop. Three $100 refurbished desktops, next to recliners in three rooms. Win10, that goes as fast as I want, and no reason to move a computer from room to room. Since I'm not employed, no reason to use a computer outside the home. All synced.

So, I wonder... if you are retired, where else do you use your laptops? Serious question.:greetings10:

Coffee shop and travel mostly. I also have a swivel stand in the kitchen I put my laptop on to watch my dvr (Mythbuntu) and Utube vids.

Did you install this new second drive yourself? Or did you use some type of external connection. Thanks.

Yes, i installed the 2nd drive myself. There are 2 drive slots. There is a Youtube video. So, now have 1.25 TB ssd. Costco sells this laptop for $1349. I was able to get the discount . Original was $1499.

Last edited:

I like a quiet machine. I’m not sure if there are any fanless laptops, but when I replace my desktop, I would consider a laptop with a docking station set up so I can have the best of both. I was looking at the Surface Pro (because of a thread on ER), and I’m thinking that might fit the bill. I could see taking the laptop into the kitchen or into the living room. Maybe mirror it on my TV to show some of my wife’s photo to other family members. But, these days I spend most my time on my iPad. Desktop is my workhorse for storage and hooking up external drives for backups. Also use it when I do things that resemble work, like taxes and entering data into Quicken.

For travel I take my google pixel book.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom