Question about moving to Apple desktop

It's probably true, and expected that they won't support the old hardware indefinitely. But, Microsoft is doing the same thing with Windows 11, and various hardware and software wouldn't work with newer versions of Windows, either, plus the changes in newer hardware can cause compatibility issues. None of my Windows computers or laptops are supported on Windows 11. So, not unexpected with Apple to have the same issues. Look at smartphones - even worse.
Both wife and I are using MacBooks bought 2013 and still fully supported and working fine. Visited the Genius Bar recently with wife’s laptop and they fixed everything in about 10 minutes. Never had a PC last this long. If/when MS updated the OS the video card wouldn’t work or software became incompatible. Never had that issue with my Mac.

Thanks to all for the input. It will help a lot as I figure out how best to proceed. My current lean is to wait for the refreshed 24” Mac but we’ll see.

There are now rumors that they may put out an iPad Pro with a 32-inch display.

Or maybe at least bring back the 27 inch 5K screen, which are still not that common.

Both wife and I are using MacBooks bought 2013 and still fully supported and working fine. Visited the Genius Bar recently with wife’s laptop and they fixed everything in about 10 minutes. Never had a PC last this long. If/when MS updated the OS the video card wouldn’t work or software became incompatible. Never had that issue with my Mac.

I have a 13 year old PC that's still getting updates from Microsoft, plus it feels very snappy vs. newer computers. I've upgraded RAM and installed an SSD over the years. And it's rock solid. I'm even using a very old version of Microsoft Office on it. lol I mentioned it here:

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ving-to-apple-desktop-118354.html#post2949532

Thanks to all for the input. It will help a lot as I figure out how best to proceed. My current lean is to wait for the refreshed 24” Mac but we’ll see.

I would rather spend less on a PC and upgrade the hardware more often. Maybe 5 years is a decent end goal?

My current PC (HP all-in-one) is fine for TT and Office 365 (Excel, etc.). But it won't run Windows 11. Oh well. I just bought a bit too early and got caught in the hardware canyon.

I never need to run TT more then the end of year it's needed. I save the PDF's for future reference plus some paper copies.

I had a 27" iMac that I liked a lot. It was getting long in the tooth and since the upcoming macOS Sonoma wasn't going to be supported on it, I decided to upgrade last week.

I would have probably bought a 27" iMac based on Apple silicon, but alas they don't sell such a beast.

So I bought a M2 based 13" MacBook Air along with a 27" Mac Studio Display. It's a very simple setup: power plugs into the Studio Display and a single Thunderbolt cable runs from the display to the MacBook Air. My desktop keyboard and trackpad are Bluetooth, so no cables for them.

This single cable does everything: supplies power to the MacBook Air to run and charge; drives the 17" display from the MacBook Air; and the display has three USB C ports for connecting items to the MacBook Air (plus the 2nd Thunderbolt/USB C port on the MacBook Air). Very slick and clean.

I also can simply unplug the Thunderbolt cable from the display and use the MacBook Air as a laptop when I'm traveling or whatever.

The MacBook Air with it's M2 is so much faster than my old 2017 i7 based iMac, I'm enjoying it.

I have a 13 year old PC that's still getting updates from Microsoft, plus it feels very snappy vs. newer computers. I've upgraded RAM and installed an SSD over the years. And it's rock solid. I'm even using a very old version of Microsoft Office on it. lol I mentioned it here:

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ving-to-apple-desktop-118354.html#post2949532

Ditto for my 12 year old desktop and a rarely used 11 year old laptop.

I had to replace my ipad because the o/s was no longer supported. Caused issues with some vendors and some airlines when we were traveling. Otherwise I would not have had replace a six year old device that was still working as new.

Whoops.:facepalm:

Yeah I'm also waiting for a larger screen iMac as well.

I also have 2017 iMac 5K.

Hell if they just swap out the processor and the HDD for an SSD, it's an immediate purchase for me.

You still can't find a good 5K display for under $1000 now.

IF they put out a 5K display with mini LED, that would be awesome, though I don't really watch too much longer videos like TV shows or movies on it.

I’m also waiting for a larger iMac display and continue to use a late 2015 27” model that works fine although it can’t use the most recent version of MacOS.

I think I read something recently on macrumors (emphasis RUMORS) about a possible 30” iMac. That would be great and I’d happily replace the 2015 Intel based system.

Yeah otherwise the upgrade path might be Mac mini or a MacBook Pro or Mac Studio along with a large display.

The 5K Apple Studio Display is really priced high for what it is, though people might like the high quality webcam.

I have a feeling if I bought that display, for close to $2000, we will see a lot of 27-inch or greater displays with mini LED displays below that price.

That Dell isn't bad but it's only 4K.

Someone announced a 27 or 30 inch 5K monitor recently and that will be like $1300.

4K would be good but if you've been used to 5K ,you're losing some sharpness.

I always found a Mac mini and the monitor of your choice to be a better way to go

Back
Top Bottom