Airplane Etiquette Rules for a Happy Flight

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I do not travel much so some of these "rules" were good to know. Perhaps some of you folks will find them interesting also.

Just whose armrest is it, anyway? Well, if you're in the middle, more power to you if you want to seize sovereignty of armrest territory: the window and aisle already have one each of their very own, thus, the middle seat gets both the interior armrests. Feel free to enlighten an armrest-stealing seatmate regarding this rule.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/airplane-...tm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=18370767&utm_term=

My wife and I try and book two aisle seats across from each other so we both get an aisle yet sit next to each other. My rule is I sit down. If the person next to me takes the armrest, I let them have it. If they don't, its mine. So sort of first come, first serve.

My wife and I try and book two aisle seats across from each other so we both get an aisle yet sit next to each other. My rule is I sit down. If the person next to me takes the armrest, I let them have it. If they don't, its mine. So sort of first come, first serve.

Same here with first come first serve.

I am glad I don't sit next to some of you on flights. The poor person who is stuck in the middle seat gets both arm rests in my opinion. I don't understand this first come first serve stuff. What happened to good manners and civility on a flight?

What happened to good manners and civility on a flight?

Exactly. Which is why I always attempt to shower at least 2-3 months prior to any flight.

A couple of airlines (not sure which ones) will be testing to a new seat layout next year where the middles seat is set back a few inches from the aisle and window seats. It's suppose to alleviate shoulder and arm rest issues, seems like it might make getting in/out of the row a hassle.

I am glad I don't sit next to some of you on flights. The poor person who is stuck in the middle seat gets both arm rests in my opinion. I don't understand this first come first serve stuff. What happened to good manners and civility on a flight?

Yes, indeed, and don't let your big, fat knee drift into the poor middler's space.

I usually sit at the window and always lift up the middle arm rest.

The poor person next to me usually attempts to put the arm rest down but it's tough to move after I'm settled

... The poor person next to me usually attempts to put the arm rest down but it's tough to move after I'm settled
Because you have bulged into the space your seatmate has purchased?

You can be sure I will get it down.

I usually sit at the window and always lift up the middle arm rest.

The poor person next to me usually attempts to put the arm rest down but it's tough to move after I'm settled

You might regret this, if it is a big person who now takes over some of your seat.:D

Personally, I always make sure the arm rest are down, for that reason, and I get an aisle seat, when possible.

The most stressful part of flying these days, it least on American Airlines, is knowing whether you will be able to put your carry in anywhere near you or not. AA has so many pre boarding groups that two thirds of the people are on already with your group named priority or preferred. Some times that calculate this upfront and tell you. Sometimes not. I've started checking my carry on at the gate just to avoid the stress.

Because you have bulged into the space your seatmate has purchased?

You can be sure I will get it down.

my shoulders encroach into the middle seat so i'm over the armrest

i tell people they are welcome to try but they usually give up

You might regret this, if it is a big person who now takes over some of your seat.:D

Personally, I always make sure the arm rest are down, for that reason, and I get an aisle seat, when possible.

depending on the aircraft, I can lower the armrest - on some of the smaller planes, like a turboprop - no way that arm rest can come down

it's happened - one time this big lady was in the middle seat - she had to use an extension lap belt and that armrest was ALL THE WAY UP lol

it's happened - one time this big lady was in the middle seat - she had to use an extension lap belt and that armrest was ALL THE WAY UP lol
Not only do you have limited leg room but you get to pay full price for half a seat and the other person gets one and a half seats for the price of one. I might get a little miffed at this spill over.

Cheers!

The most stressful part of flying these days, it least on American Airlines, is knowing whether you will be able to put your carry in anywhere near you or not. AA has so many pre boarding groups that two thirds of the people are on already with your group named priority or preferred. Some times that calculate this upfront and tell you. Sometimes not. I've started checking my carry on at the gate just to avoid the stress.

Just flew on AA and it was a miserable experience. We wanted the exit row (for added leg room) and that upgrade was $66 per person, each way. That still had us in group 5; if we wanted priority boarding, it was an additional $29 per person, each way. Total, that would be $380 in extra fees for a round trip. We didn't elect the priority boarding since we don't use the overhead, but the exit seats were about 8" in width with immovable armrests. And the flight attendants? Salty!!! :angel:

The armrest thing? In my experience it can be shared.

The don't recline your seat is total BS. I recline my seat if I wish. If someone reclines it in front of me, I don't freak. Also, I would never ask someone behind me before reclining (though I do it slowly). Asking permission in effect is asking for conflict.

As far as American Airlines, it is my preferred, but then I am Advantage Gold (forever) so I get exit row for free and early boarding. I like that.

I do notice they have tons of categories of "preferred" and I see that could get annoying.

While we are likely on the lower rung of $$$ around here, we don't fly coach. If it comes down to coach or stay home, we stay home. As a (ex) road warrior (who occasionally lost status due to projects within driving distance), I lived far too many horror stories to voluntarily fly coach.

And a word to the queen (+) sized crowd here; if you happen to have a 2 ticket ass, kindly buy 2 tickets. When sitting in a window seat, I didn't enjoy being smashed into the fuselage. Really, I didn't. Seattle to Atlanta was memorable. In a Freddie Krueger kind of way. I've often looked at those (never used) gate check luggage racks with wanton lust. Set 'em for 18" and position them at the the jet bridge. Can't wiggle through? Pay to carry on that "baggage." :mad:

Wow. I have flown a lot and to me the middle arm rests are to be carefully shared. I would insist on having the armrest down between seats. And everyone needs to stay in their space. I totally agree with not reclining the seat.

While we are likely on the lower rung of $$$ around here, we don't fly coach. If it comes down to coach or stay home, we stay home. As a (ex) road warrior (who occasionally lost status due to projects within driving distance), I lived far too many horror stories to voluntarily fly coach.
(
+1
Four million miler here. We just flew back from Europe last Thursday. Took a walk out back and it sure was pretty tight, however Premium Economy looked pretty nice and fairly close to what a Business section might look like nowadays.

(As an aside and off topic, we took Virgin's day time flight out of Boston to London instead of the typical red-eye that all the carriers have. Made all the difference in jet lag for us)

The middle seat gets 2 arm rests. One flight a skinny girl was in the window seat and I in the aisle. A tall big guy was in the middle. Not fat at all. So he isn’t using the armrests but hunching himself forward and I told him you cannot ride 4 hours like that. He said it’s okay and skinny girl said that’s ridiculous. We can all share. Eventually he takes his space I fall asleep and wake up with my leg touching his and my 5lb dog had crawled on his lap:)) I started to apologize and he said leave the dog. Some of the nicest people I have met traveling.