Apple TV+

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
NBR mentioned that Apple TV+ is coming online in November and I recall that I’m supposed to get a free year, having purchased an iPad. I haven’t received any information about AppleTV+ so far.

I don’t even know if I should care. There seem to be a lot of TV watchers (streaming or otherwise) here. Is there anything to get excited about?

Last edited:
I, too, am waiting to hear about my free year since I bought two iPhones recently. There are several Apple original series I think I will like, but otherwise I'm not sure what's in store. The recent updates to iOS/iPadOS/TVOS/Mac OS-X Catalina may have contained updates to support the new service, but Apple ain't sayin'.

From what I can tell, I too will qualify for the 1 year of free Apple TV+, as well as the year of free Disney basic tier from my Verizon Unlimited account. I’ve been thinking of taking advantage of both of these offers and taking a break from Netflix - which hasn’t had a lot of new stuff that really grabbed me. Competition is good...

Here is a pretty good guide to Apple TV+:

Thanks for the link! I just added the Apple TV channel to my Roku, signed in with my Apple ID and password (yet another device has it) and took a look around.

Now to see if anything happens tomorrow...

For anyone getting it for “free” - just watch and decide if you want to subscribe. Very clever of Apple to “give” a bunch of current buyers TV+ for free. Gives them a very large installed base on day one for ratings on their content, viewing data, etc., unlike so many that have to build subscribers organically.

I’m skeptical about the Apple programming as they have a major constraint of family friendly plus they threw a lot of money at big names which doesn’t necessarily translate to god programming. But we’ll see.

When I tapped on Apple TV on my iTouch this morning I got a new little popup announcing an offer of Apple TV+: 1 year free, $4.99/mo thereafter. So there it is.

I haven’t watched anything, poured another cuppa joe instead.

I just activated my Apple TV + offer this AM. Initially, it didn’t “take”, so I had to sign out / sign back in to my Apple Store account, but then it worked. While not exactly overflowing with content, there appear to be a few interesting series/offerings. Will watch with DS tonight and see if this is a “Netflix killer”...

I activated the one year free offer. I noticed that it shows up as a subscription on your account with an auto-renew at $4.99/mo.

It looks like my subscription payments have defaulted to my still-unused Apple Card. I only had one prior subscription on the Apple Store previously (an app unrelated to entertainment/streaming).

My understanding is that if you cancel the subscription early you lose access at cancel time, not at the end of the trial year (I’m not totally sure about that).

Apple TV+ was mentioned in the “new series” thread and I was reminded that my free year from an iPad purchase is about over. As I recall, it’s auto-renewed (w/monthly charge) unless you take action. I don’t think I’ve watched it at all so the choice is simple for me.

Apple TV+ was mentioned in the “new series” thread and I was reminded that my free year from an iPad purchase is about over. As I recall, it’s auto-renewed (w/monthly charge) unless you take action. I don’t think I’ve watched it at all so the choice is simple for me.

Your post reminded me that I’m in the same boat. I think I started my free one year subscription in January, so I’ve got a few more months. We watched one series right after subscribing, but haven’t watched anything since. I’m marking my calendar to cancel.

Your post reminded me that I’m in the same boat. I think I started my free one year subscription in January, so I’ve got a few more months. We watched one series right after subscribing, but haven’t watched anything since. I’m marking my calendar to cancel.

I got it done. Really, it makes more sense for me to redirect funds to PBS, which I actually DO watch regularly as a freeloader w/antenna and good reception (4 subchannels around here).

We've watched a few of the original series on Atv+ and liked them but there simply isn't enough content to justify the cost. And not all the shows were of interest to me, of course. After we finish the current series we're watching, I'll be canceling.

We've watched a few of the original series on Atv+ and liked them but there simply isn't enough content to justify the cost. And not all the shows were of interest to me, of course. After we finish the current series we're watching, I'll be canceling.

I really enjoyed The Morning Show and Servant Season 1 and there are a few others that look good but I figured out it makes sense to subscribe for a month or two, binge watch all you want and then cancel for a few months. Rinse and repeat.

I saw a piece today that Apple is extending those free years by three months. So that’s good news for those who’ve watched. :)

I watched a few episodes of a couple different shows when I first got my free trial. Didn’t feel the need to continue. Didn’t see much else that interested me. Haven’t signed in for months and won’t be renewing.

I got my free subscription a few weeks ago with the purchase of a new ipad. The content that interests me is very limited. YMMV

I too had a free year due to a Mac Book my employer had purchased. I pretty much ignored it for 7 months, then watched See which was very good. I am now watching Ted Lasso which is also quite entertaining so far (I've done about 4 episodes).

What should my next series be on it before the subscription expires?

Complicated - https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/08/apple-tv-plus-free-trial-extension/

Extensions don't go past Feb 2021, and you had to sign up before the end of Jan 2020.

But I think I get 2 more months. My subscription current shows it renews on Dec 31 2020, but I signed up in Jan 2020 and purchased my new iPhone on Dec 30, 2019 although I did not received it until after Jan 1.

I don't see the extension yet. It should extend through Feb 2021 according to that article.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom