Is that all there is?

Mr._johngalt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is mostly for the more "seasoned citizens" on this
site. As I am in the autumn of my years, I am getting the urge to do something spectacular. I mean, after
you've made your plans (I do plan now even though
I started very late) and are living the ER dream, wouldn't
you like to break out of the mold and turn things upside
down one more time (or for some of you the first
time) :)........I mean before you take up the rocking chair.
I would like to do it before I am too old. I love my ER
life, but just kind of want to shake things up, make
another
unexpected move, go somewhere else for a year,
"ride a fresh horse through new country", etc. I was going to do it on the bike, but that's over now, and it certainly
couldn't be anything too strenuous. Still, there are a bunch of adventures which could be had, if I don't wait too long. Anyone else feel this way, or was getting to ER
enough excitement for you?

JG

Sure, I'd like to get away for a year or so; won't happen until my better half retires someday.
I would like to live in the UK or the Tuscany region of Italy for a while, maybe not an entire year, but at least for a month or more - that is, if I could afford it - maybe that will happen someday, who knows?
John, I believe you're about 60 or so... that's not the autumn years yet, is it? And if you're in Texas now (not sure about that), isn't that like shaking it up? ... especially after those years in Ill.
Ray

Nope.

There is no place I'd rather be than right here - a line from 'Rednecks, White Soxs, and Blue Ribbon Beer.'

The fact that we could afford a cruise, safari, world travel - priceless!!

Hello Ray! It feels like "autumn" to me. Trust me!
Not yet using the Texas condo (all those pesky details).
Anyway, to actually answer your question, I view my
first 60 years as kind of low-budget Hemingwayesque,
so I am not complaining. However, there are a lot of
"adventures" which are no longer doable and I'd like to
get some more in before time runs out.

JG

Hi unclemick! I think it is neat that you are content where you are. I was always looking for my next big
"adventure" (grass is always greener?). Chronic malcontent perhaps.

JG

Anyone else feel this way, or was getting to ER enough excitement for you? JG
Geez, John, isn't ER enough of a goal all by itself?

Seek if you must, but just send me a copy of the video. I'm still waaaay behind on my surfing, but I'll watch it while I'm drying out.

I think you're just restless. If you were REALLY looking for excitement then you'd be printing up business cards and pounding the pavement for venture capital right now. Come to think of it, what have you been doing with the capital from those 0% CC offers?

I'm beginning to realize that life will throw enough curveballs without me seeking new pitchers of my own...

Yeah John, I'm seeking excitement. DW and I are gonna fly space available (a C-40) to K-Bay Hawaii on Saturday. NORDS probably knows the place. I don't surf, but I sure do float good. :D
Aloha

A C-40? Dang, those were operational in the early years of WW2. You're braver than I am.

A C-40?  Dang, those were operational in the early years of WW2.   You're braver than I am.
They're recycling the numbers. A C-40 is a MILSPEC 737. The most dangerous thing about it is the box lunches.

Tough flight!

They're recycling the numbers. A C-40 is a MILSPEC 737. The most dangerous thing about it is the box lunches.

Tough flight!

That is correct. I asked! ;)

Anyone else feel this way, or was getting to ER enough excitement for you?
JG
I am definitely among the seasoned. Yesterday I went to buy tags for my dog. Apparently there is a senior discount. The cute woman behind the counter said, "I hate to ask youk this honey, but are you 62?

I wish!

Anyhow, to answer your question, I am pretty happy with what I have. If I had a lot more money, I would spend part time at the beach in LA.

I have liked having much more time to read than earlier. Most of what I spend time doing I actually prefer to anything else that I might be doing. Not ecstatic, but basically content.

It has taken me a long time to figure out once and for all that I don't like rigmarole, rules, procedures or life and death situations. Cutting all this out saves a lot of time.

Mikey

Christ John! Lighten up. You're only 60+?

If you looked after yourself you've got at least 20 more years. :D

I think this is a classic 'type-A' issue. Sometimes I feel the same way. When I was a working accomplishments came easy and were rewarded. Now it's more difficult but in the last couple of years I've learned to surf, learned to windsurf in the waves, and biked from sea level to the summit of haleakala (10,029ft) , and am working on playing the guitar (I still suck, but I am improving).

Consider trying something that will be a challenge and is new. For example, learn a language or to play an instrument, build something, or go to school. Try something that you suck at, but can make gradual progress in over time.

Can I just say its pretty sweet I get to participate with and learn from a bunch of guys that could easily be my dads  :D  

My dad is turning 60 next month.  We've got one bigass surprise party planned for em.   :D He's got a good 25 years left in em, probably more.

Well azanon, I hope you are right (about your Dad).
I would be a mistake to take it for granted though.
My folks are in their late 80s. Not bad considering
where they might be. Still, for most it becomes a real struggle much earlier.

JG

JG

You sound a little bummed lately. When I need a checkup from the neck up DW has a few sure-fire remedies:

1. She screams "Snap out of it!"
2. ROAD TRIP!
3. "get upstairs..." ;)

Time to head to TX?

If I had a lot more money, I would spend part time at the beach in LA.
I have liked having much more time to read than earlier. Most of what I spend time doing I actually prefer to anything else that I might be doing. Not ecstatic, but basically content.
It has taken me a long time to figure out once and for all that I don't like rigmarole, rules, procedures or life and death situations. Cutting all this out saves a lot of time. Mikey
You're singin' my song, Mikey!

When they entitle the article, "IS THIS GUY CRAZY?"... I think we all KNOW the answer...
The 50yr old Nike' sales rep was preparing to run a 150 mile race in the desert...
Here's a challenge for you <JG/Nords/anyone?>...
What they don't tell you is that he's paying for his training & supplies out of the marketing budget, and that he'll be rewarded for his efforts with a nice bonus out of Nike's promotional budget. What if he had to do it all out of his own pocket and for free?

I think this is a classic 'type-A' issue. Sometimes I feel the same way. When I was a working accomplishments came easy and were rewarded. Now it's more difficult but in the last couple of years I've learned to surf, learned to windsurf in the waves, and biked from sea level to the summit of haleakala (10,029ft) , and am working on playing the guitar (I still suck, but I am improving).
Try something that you suck at, but can make gradual progress in over time.
JB, biking up Haleakala doesn't sound like my idea of fun (What about the diesel fumes from the tour buses?) but apparently that's not enough of a challenge for the Hawaii Ultra Running Team. Their acronym says it all!

Considering the number of things I suck at, it's a good thing that I ER'd. There'll always be more than I can tackle...

JohnGalt, maybe you're ready for the same approach.

Nords, you are right on......"considering the number of things I suck at" etc. An example from today:

Yesterday my rear view mirror just up and fell off the
windshield in my Jeep. I stopped at the hardware store
and to my great surprise they actually have rearview
mirror adhesive to fix this very problem. Anyway, I read
the instructions quite carefully and then put the stuff back on the shelf. Decided I would only screw it up, get
frustrated and break something. I can operate with the side mirrors for a while. This is my Jeep with 209,000 miles, so I am a bit less fussy.
The A/C hasn't worked sicne 1998. The motor on the power antenna is fried. The rear wiper is missing, and
I broke the ash tray in 2 after it got jammed too full. The alarm system is screwed up and I can't find the
fuse to disarm it.
Typically if I start out to fix something I end up making it worse or breaking it completely. With DIY skills like mine
you get a long to-do list pretty fast.

Yes BUM, I am a bit 'bummed" lately. Will try to be more
perky. But, more bad news today. My only close friend with both parents still alive is losing his father soon.
He is in very bad shape. That will leave me alone in my circle of acquantances
with both parents still going. More amazing, they still
live independently and both still drive. My mother just quit selling AVON this week! 85 years old. Pretty amazing.

JG

Texas has been on my mind lately. Could be just what I need to snap me out of my funk.

They say it may snow here tonight. It's almost May
for gosh sake. Where are we........Minnesota? :)

JG

I killed a 4-foot rattler in my driveway this morning.
What type of reptilicide does one use in this situation? Or should I say, what caliber?

What type of reptilicide does one use in this situation? Or should I say, what caliber?
Twelve gague was my initial selection, but I quickly discovered I need to improve my time on removing the gun lock and loading (new twist to the phrase "lock and load"). So I settled for a very long shovel, and found I had absolutely no urge to choke the handle before I took a swing.

REW

Back
Top Bottom