vancouver Island Resorts

Spanky

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any recomendations on selecting a resort in Vancouver island? What are the fun things to do? I like the quietness but the rest of the family members like to do the "city life" stuffs.

Spanky

Don't miss Buchart Gardens, near Victoria. Also you can take whale watching tours out of Victoria. We did not, but I would like to do this in the future.

When I was a kid (long, long ago) my sailing buddies and I loved high tea at the Empress.. we would go running through in our shorts and middies and watch the 'proper ladies' raise their eyebrows.

The Empress is a great place to stay. If not there, I would choose a bed and breakfast.

Spanky said:
Any recomendations on selecting a resort in Vancouver island? What are the fun things to do? I like the quietness but the rest of the family members like to do the "city life" stuffs.
They're going to be very unimpressed with Victoria then. Victoria is a very sleepy place.

Some posh places to stay: Sooke Harbour House, The Aerie, Hastings House (on Salt Spring Island), Poet's Cover (on Pender Island), The Wick Inn (Tofino). There's an amazing lodge on a barge at Quait Bay, but it's closed this year.

I agree with the above.. a day or two there to explore Victoria (don't miss the Royal BC Museum) is enough. Then go out to the islands. Hop ferries, fishing should be great particularly if you go north (up around Comax). I enjoy the Gulf Islands.

Great info here for you, Spanky.
I wish you a wonderful, and memorable time.

Do the whale watching. We stayed at a bed and breakfast near the Empress, overlooking their central park. One day we got coaxed into going out on a little zodiak with a 600 hp engine strapped onto the back to see killer whales. He drives us out at I dunno, 200 mph and then stopps. We say, "so where are the whales?" "Don't worry, they are coming!"

All of a sudden a huge pod is all around us, one dives right under the boat and comes up the other side, maybe three feet from me. That picture is still in my screensaver on every computer! Top ten vacation moment.

Thank you for all the links, recomendations on things to do, places to stay and visit. It should be a fun trip.

Spanky

Back
Top Bottom