Vanguard Emerging Mkt Index different from benchmark index?

wildcat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi Wildcat,

I think you may be reading the Vanguard site wrong. The two colums for country breakdown are for the Fund for 5/31/05 + 5/31/04. As of 5/31/05, China was 8% of the Vanguard fund. I also think that the Vanguard fund tracks a slightly different index than EEM, an index that MSCI created specifically for Vanguard, that only the Vanguard fund uses.

- Alec

I think you may be reading the Vanguard site wrong. The two colums for country breakdown are for the Fund for 5/31/05 + 5/31/04. As of 5/31/05, China was 8% of the Vanguard fund. I also think that the Vanguard fund tracks a slightly different index than EEM

Makes sense thanks. Yeah seems as though Vanguard tracks selected emerging markets.

Index funds DO often meander from their indexes. You may find in the prospecti a statement that the fund manager 'samples' stocks from the index to closely match the index without overowning small or deemed irrelevant stocks. In certain cases, should index managers actually own the requisite shares in every requisite company, there might not be enough shares to go around.

Back
Top Bottom