Recumbent Bikes

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I bike 3-4 times a week anywhere from 15- 45 miles.
My Trek 830, no matter how I tweak it for comfort, gives me a sore rear end, an achy lower back, numb hands and a stiff neck.

Recumbents look so strange, but I want to keep biking and I'm starting to think riding in a lazy-boy setup is making a lot of sense.

Anyone using one? How do you like it... Recommend any models?

DanTien
:)

I have one made by Icon fitness (forget the brand). It works, but its built like crap. If you want to use it extensively, get one of the Schwinn recumbents. They are a little more expensive, but far more sturdily built.

Don't we have a user who's into these? I thought it was parnas or parnass, but I can't a member named anything close to that.

I want a recumbent stationary exercise bike for TV watching. It should have a drink holder and snack tray. And a place to put my feet up when I don't feel like pedaling. :LOL:

More seriously, those things look neat and comfortable, but something in my head tells me they're more dangerous than a regular bike if you got into a quick-reaction situation. Any recumbent riders have comments on this?

Here's mine. Well, yes, it is not a bike but it has the attributes of fun and comfort. Since a picture of it is my user picture, you might conclude that I love my trike.
Rocks3.jpg

Until recently, DH and I rode a tandem recumbent made by BikeE -- who has since, unfortunately, gone out of business.

Advantages - much more comfortable ride, and motorists don't recognize them immediately and so stop and stare, which may or may not increase road safety. LOL

Disadvantages - the wheels are much smaller (at least on our model) than on regular bikes, and therefore the recumbent can be a bit squirrely.  They also have a worse turning radius than a standard bike.

That said, they're darn-all comfortable.

Tadpole, do you ride it on the beach or only put it there for pictures?

Hi Dan Tien
You might want to have a look at

http://www.bikeforums.net/index.php

They have a section on recumbents.

Is your bike an aluminum frame? These frames are really hard on the back.
Some other simpler options might be some gel filled riding gloves for the hands and the shoulders. A gel filled seat or seat cover for the back and bum. On my aluminum bike, there is shock absorber in the seat stem. I had back spasms until it loosened up.

Mike

T-Al asks:
Tadpole, do you ride it on the beach or only put it there for pictures?

Tadpole replies:
I ride it on rail-trails, canal trails and on asphalt bike trails. I live in MD. There are hundreds of miles of bike trails in VA, MD and PA. I rode a Canondale bike a couple of hundred miles a week before I was severely injured in a car wreck. I couldn't give it up so I researched and found this trike which was perfect for my new realities. And yes, you can find me riding it just as much as the bike but I cannot go as far in the same time now.

It is not good for beaches or any kind of sand. It is best on solid surfaces. It is fine on limestone rock/dust and hard pack dirt. It is bad in gravel.

Tadpole : that is a beautiful adult trike and the photograph is too....can't quite make out the make...something Wheels..?
I stay off roads ( I don't trust drivers with cellphones or semis with attitude)
So, like you I'm mostly on rail-trails, asphalt and limestone rock bike trails - a bent would work well there it seems.

Mike : Thanks for the link. I should splurge and get Gel filled gloves (Now I use garden gloves :) - well, I am frugal) and a seat stem absorber. Good birthday gift ideas for the kids to get. :) I think having 2 options - a bike and a bent will work for me because I do have some favorite rides with a bit of off-roady-ness. Also, mixing it up will I think take the strain off....

DanTien

Dan,

Sorry, I should have included the link with the picture. It is made in Hastings, MI.
The trike is a TerraTrike WizWheelz (mine is older, a model 3.3)

http://www.wizwheelz.com/

peggy said:
Until recently, DH and I rode a tandem recumbent made by BikeE -- who has since, unfortunately, gone out of business.

Advantages - much more comfortable ride, and motorists don't recognize them immediately and so stop and stare, which may or may not increase road safety. LOL

Disadvantages - the wheels are much smaller (at least on our model) than on regular bikes, and therefore the recumbent can be a bit squirrely. They also have a worse turning radius than a standard bike.

That said, they're darn-all comfortable.

Peggy - Thanks.
I saw a happy ER guy on one today I slowed to take a look - jeep behind almost ran into me..so there are "road safety " issues.
I'll be on bike trails for others' protection also...
DanTien

BigMoneyJim said:
I want a recumbent stationary exercise bike for TV watching. It should have a drink holder and snack tray. And a place to put my feet up when I don't feel like pedaling. :LOL:

BigMoneyJim - I have this image now stuck in my head - I think this could work out on the trail also! ...there's a market for this somewhere. after all this is America...but that would be work, so we need to just hire a patent lawyer and license it too Lazy-boy.
This is how I see it - leather lazy-boy with all the extras (holders, massager, auxilliary motor, etc.) on a bent chassis - Sat rec & TV and well you get the picture.... :D

Tadpole said:
Dan,

Sorry, I should have included the link with the picture. It is made in Hastings, MI.
The trike is a TerraTrike WizWheelz (mine is older, a model 3.3)

http://www.wizwheelz.com/

Hey, I think DW lived in Hastings as a child, which has nothing to do with
trikes, bikes or ER :)

JG

DanTien, have you biked the Munger trail in northern Minnesota? Beautiful trail starting in Duluth. In the spring you can see the ladyslipper blooming along the trail. I just read in the WSJ that our congressman got us the pork--money for an extension of the longest bike trail in the United States.

Martha said:
DanTien, have you biked the Munger trail in northern Minnesota? Beautiful trail starting in Duluth. In the spring you can see the ladyslipper blooming along the trail. I just read in the WSJ that our congressman got us the pork--money for an extension of the longest bike trail in the United States.

Martha: Shhhhhhh! Don't tell him where we live. He'll be hanging around on the front sidewalk asking people all sorts of questions about us.

Dan: There are also some wonderful trails in Maryland. :D

--the DH

Martha said:

Martha - I have not. But I think that it's in my future.
Went to http://www.railtrails.org/find/totm/default.asp
Very Nice. I didn't realize Munger had so much impact in converting rails to trails.
Oberstar can bring home that kind of bacon every session, but it will have to be BOCA bacon for me. Ladyslipper i'm guessing your profile icon?

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
Martha: Shhhhhhh! Don't tell him where we live. He'll be hanging around on the front sidewalk asking people all sorts of questions about us.
--the DH

DH -
Man, I'm too busy with ER, but I've got a fellow that will be up there between 5 - 7 pm this Saturday, perhaps you've heard of him: he's from the city that knows how to keep its secrets, the one man still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions — Guy Noir, Private Eye

DanTien

DanTien said:

Guy Noir, he's my favorite doofus and Martha's second favorite. We'll immediately send you our address and schedule. Do you want it in poll form?

--Greg

Dan, recumbents feel different while riding because you can't "stand on the pedals" - you have to spin up hills.  It takes a while to get your "recumbent legs."  Easyracers makes some good bikes.  www.easyracers.com

Patrick said:
Dan, recumbents feel different while riding because you can't "stand on the pedals" - you have to spin up hills. It takes a while to get your "recumbent legs." Easyracers makes some good bikes. www.easyracers.com

Patrick - Thanks for the link. So some different muscles and gear choice on hills I'm thinking...

DanTien

DanTien said:
So some different muscles and gear choice on hills I'm thinkinG.

Correct. And much easier on your back and family jewels.  You also get to SEE where you are going.  8)

Patrick said:
And much easier on your... You also get to SEE where you are going. 8)

oh, yessss......and perspective is not so pavement oriented....hello world!

Patrick - That is sooo cool....its a rolling piece of scuplture man!
DanTien
:D

Tadpole -
Saw a recumbent trike in my local bike shop. Name - TADPOLE
:D

mikew said:
Some other simpler options might be some gel filled riding gloves for the hands and the shoulders. A gel filled seat or seat cover for the back and bum. On my aluminum bike, there is seat stem shock absorber...
Mike

Hi Mike,
I got some pretty nice gel gloves for my birthday - did a 30 mile and my hands are not numb :) Also got a fat seat :D the kind ya buy in the store...
My local shop wants $100 for a Rock Shox shock absorber in the seat stem so I'm mulling that over... DanTien

Dan,

We have a Pro Form SR30 and DH and I love it. We each do about 5 miles a day and find it is comfortable. We can watch TV or read while using it.

We decided to go the recumbent route last year because it is too hot to ride outside here for 5 months a year.

Momtwo

Back
Top Bottom