Summer brushfire season

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Our property is a cul-de-sac at the end of the neighborhood overlooking a gulch. The surroundings are mostly conservation/agriculture land and old military property.

Not an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon... both a CH-46 and a CH-53 were dropping water on the next ridge while we waited to see where we'd be spending the night.

All things considered I'd rather deal with hurricanes.

Attachments

• Brush fire.JPG
    Brush fire.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Brush fire helicopter.JPG
    Brush fire helicopter.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 60
That was the scene from our old house on Oct 19, 1991. The next day the fire rekindled and became the Oakland Firestorm, and our house burned along with those of hundreds of others.

Based on that my advice is to copy all your pictures to a CD and mail them to someone, then go through your house with a video camera and document all your stuff so you know what to write down on the insurance claim forms if worse comes to worse.

I'm with Al on the video inventory.

When I lived in the mountains, 3 fires merged in the canyon behind my house and we were evacuated twice within a week or two. We were out for a full week the last time before they got the fire out. It's so scary. Makes you realize a home is only that. It's the people who count (and some stuff).

Up until about a year ago we lived next to a cane field. These photos were taken from a small deck off the kitchen. The big problem is that the field extends upwind of our place. For a few days a year we had to leave because of the smoke. Afterwards everything in and around the house was filthy. Got me thinking about the meaning of 'raising cane'.

paiafire1.jpg

JB said:
Afterwards everything in and around the house was filthy.  Got me thinking about the meaning of 'raising cane'.
And then there's the temporarily-dislocated critters that move in with you...

We do the drill - evacuate for hurricanes with 'some' frequency.

Three things really count - clean underwear, a good credit card, and the family pictures.

Nords said:
And then there's the temporarily-dislocated critters that move in with you...

Nords: Yesterday I had a 'Trombone Al moment' with you in it. I can't remember who said they thought of 'T-Al in the grass' while wandering around a Saturday rumage sale. Anyway, the judge was lecturing us yesterday morning about evidence. He turned into you. Bad juju for me. :D

--Greg

I just went camping among the biggest fire in British Columbia. Oddly enough I have a very similar picture to what you took of the helicopter picking up water to drop, right in front of where we were beaching. You can read about it and see the pics on my blog at Fire and Icey Cold Water

Back
Top Bottom