Good corruption

Arif

Full time employment: Posting here.
Is that possible? Maybe. Our Panamanian "friend" stopped by yesterday and we asked about how to get our driver's licenses. She said it would be no problem and that she'll pick us up Friday morning at 1030 and that we would not have to get blood work nor take the written test. All we would have to do is give the lady working there $15 under the table and take the picture for the license. So we get there and sure enough no blood is taken and there's no written test in site. The only thing I see is our friend walking from desk to desk getting copies and stamps. Eventually they call us over and we give our date of birth, nationality, blood type and they snap our picture.

I am sure some would say "what if everyone did that, there would be a bunch of people on the roads that don't know how to drive crashing into everything and how irresponsible it is." Well, maybe but when in Rome.....

Insert Quote
But you're in Panama, not Rome.

;) BTW- I no longer wonder why people drive the way they do here. NO HAS TAKEN THE DRIVER'S TEST!!!

When I lived in Venezuela, I was often told that the law is just merely suggestion. No one follows it.

Arif said:
"what if everyone did that, there would be a bunch of people on the roads that don't know how to drive crashing into everything and how irresponsible it is."

Just like here in the US!

Here in Illinois, Repubican ex-governor Ryan is spending a lot of time in court over a DL licensing scandal where Class D licenses were being handed out for for bribes on his watch.  A van full of kids burned to death in an accident caused by a truck driver carrying one of these.  The media and Democratic rivals went nuts going after him!  I guess in Panama, it would all pass with a wink and a smile?

youbet

I once bought my wife's way into Mexico for $20. She was a citizen of some third world southeast asian country (not the US), and this apparently made issuing a Mexican tourist Visa impossible since she had no passport. Until Ole Andrew Jackson argued on her behalf. Thank goodness our six week romp through Mexico wasn't ruined due to some silly little bit of red tape ;)

We probably have a lot more corruption in the U.S. - But, only a few can afford it. Money is the 'Mother's milk of Politics'.

I think you need $100 Million to play this game. We no longer have a democracy, it's a Capitalist form of government.

Cut-Throat said:
. . .I think you need $100 Million to play this game. We no longer have a democracy, it's a Capitalist form of government.
We have the best government money can buy. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

justin said:
I once bought my wife's way into Mexico for $20.  She was a citizen of some third world southeast asian country (not the US), and this apparently made issuing a Mexican tourist Visa impossible since she had no passport.  Until Ole Andrew Jackson argued on her behalf.  Thank goodness our six week romp through Mexico wasn't ruined due to some silly little bit of red tape  ;)

I watched FARGO the other night. I like the scene where Steve
Buscemi's character offers a $20 bribe to the state trooper.
Trooper says, "Put that back in your pocket and get out of the car please."
Served him to no good end. He should have taken the money.

I also reread Jim Roger's book 'Investment Biker". Great stuff!
He had to bribe his way around the world on his motorcycle trip.
That is just how it works in many many places............

JG

Had a trip last spring to Bali, a sort of good coruption resides there. When the police pull you over for something you did wrong. (never saw or heard of anyone pulled over for trumped up infractions). You had a choice of paying him to let you go or have a ticket and court date. The amount for the underpaid officer was always cheaper than the fine, and always negotiable. I also was able to greatly reduce my over extended visa fine, by working with the underpaid immigration officer. ;) As long as goverments don't pay living wages, there wil always be room for "good coruption".

Christopher

Had a trip last spring to Bali, a sort of good coruption resides there. When the police pull you over for something you did wrong. (never saw or heard of anyone pulled over for trumped up infractions). You had a choice of paying him to let you go or have a ticket and court date. The amount for the underpaid officer was always cheaper than the fine, and always negotiable. I also was able to greatly reduce my over extended visa fine, by working with the underpaid immigration officer. As long as goverments don't pay living wages, there wil always be room for "good coruption".

Also reminds me of when I was deployed to Macedonia for six months. I went on my 96 hour pass to Athens and in my haste was pulled over by a Macedonian police for speeding. I think I paid him $10 to let me go and I keep the ticket in my wallet for a good laugh. BTW- It seemed to make his day to pull over a soldier as he had a very big smile on his face saying "I got you...I got you."

Back
Top Bottom