So, here I am......

camberiu

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello everyone, I've been lurking the Forums for about a year now, but just reached a major milestone in my financial life, so I wanted to post it here to celebrate. I am a 31 years old Sales Engineer working for a NYC tech company. My situation is a little different than most people here because I am not an American nor am I a US permanent resident (working to change that). I came to the US years ago to study and was hired by this company after my graduation. I am in the US under the H1B visa and my employer is sponsoring me for a Green Card. Also, I am married to a non-US citizen (Japan) who is here as a dependent. Because of that, we are not putting any money on a house until our residency issue is resolved. Me and my wife are very frugal (hey, she is Japanese) and we have been able to save a little over $150K (ETFs, stocks, Emigrant Direct savings, 401K, Gold). We are debt free and are able to invest/save at least $1000 every month after taxes and after 401K contributions. I think this is pretty good considering that we live in NYC and this is a single income family (she is not allowed to work due to her VISA). Our plan is to save as much as possible and eventually move to a inexpensive 3rd world country (Panama, Brazil, etc...) and enjoy life.
It is great to be here and meet other like minded people.

Welcome Camberlu, after a year of lurking! Wow! Never too late!

Congratulations on reaching the milestone!

Your plans sound very interesting. Hope to hear more from you!

kate

Thanks for the welcome Kate. Hopefully I will be able to achieve my "American Dream" soon. However, one concern I have is that in many ways, the America that I see today is not the same America I came here looking for. Not to turn this into a political debate, but I think the problems are numerous, including (but not limited to) the fact that most Americans (and the government) are spending what they don't have on purchases that are often not very wise. Yet, I still have faith in this country and its people and I hope America will turn around and once again become the beacon of liberty, prosperity, peace and hope to the rest of the world.

Welcome.

I'm amazed that anyone can lurk for a whole year without jumping in. I probably only lasted a day or two. 

Back
Top Bottom