How did you celebrate reaching ER?

How did you celebrate (or are planning to celebrate) reaching ER?

• Big party with 10+ people

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Small gathering with a few friends

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dining out with immediate family only

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Quiet dinner at home

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • A significant purchase

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Took a trip somewhere

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I didn't do anything special to mark the occasion

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other (please post in comments)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Family surfing lessons

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

SC

Recycles dryer sheets
Seeing as ER is a huge milestone and usually the result of many, many years of planning and hard work... I'm wondering what, if anything, y'all did (or are planning to do) to celebrate or otherwise mark the occasion?

I'd probably go for the travel option...

I added mine.

REW's would count too, since the only reason we were able to go was that we weren't working...

Current plans are to sell the house, buy a nice sailing catamaran, move aboard and cruise full time.

I probably won't do anything, I'll tell my parents but only because they live next door and would wonder why I was home everyday. Dh and I will probably go to dinner but there will be no big celebration, I just want to sit in my backyard and have a glass of wine and know I won't have to go to work the next day.

I think I agree with outtahere - out for dinner with DH, some good Italian food and a pitcher of sangria. Then sleep in on Monday for sure. Maybe I won't even get out of bed on that Monday... except that it will be May 1st, and I can hardly wait to get my hands into the garden! I'll also go to the library and get a couple of novels and sit out on the porch for as long as I care to!

Nice to think about it, thanks for the trigger.

CJ

I had a "Bonfire of the Vanities". I burned all my white shirts and ties (and scrubs). It was great. Ocassionally I get a call from from an aquaintace still on the job. When they ask "Waddya doin'?" I always answer, "Fishing". They hate that. :)

Party with 75-100 friends followed by a three week vacation to Alaska.

A thorough cleaning of the closets, all my work clothes donated to the Goodwill. Later on I took a trip to Greece using one of my last paychecks from the old boss.

My sweetheart and I went to a nice French restaurant for a "whatever we wanted" meal. There was a retirement party about 5 months later that I shared with two people who retired after I did.

And for months afterwards, ever day was a "yippee! I don't have to go back to work!" celebration. :)

cheers,
Michael

I took my DW on a Carribean cruise. You know the one where the soft drinks are 2 bucks each and the mixed drinks are 5, everyone has their hand out and the cruise line charges a mandatory 15 percent tip on everything.
I will probably get another job but hopefully something less physical. I couldn't keep up the pace at 57 and the attitude was slipping but I did get an annuity indexed to inflation and my former employeer pays some 72 percent of my health insurance.

i celebrated by removing all the work equipment from my house & delivering it to the nearest company office which i never worked out of because i couldn't stand office politics. then i charged them for the mileage to deliver the goods.

i spent the first day clearing out all the corporate crap from my house. every letterhead, all the business cards, every scrap of paper, all the promotional pens. every every everything that had anything what-so-ever to do with that company including all the awards, all the reviews, everything but my pension information which i have put in a sealed envelope not to be opened for another 16 years.

then i brought in a local shaman and had my home office smudged with burnt sage.

"this house is clean" ~~ that cute yet scarey little lady in the poltergeist movie

Back
Top Bottom