Pictures from Negatives

Outtahere

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just found some old negatives I would love to have photos of. I'm deathly afraid of leaving them at a photo place, I'm just not confident enough in the people they hire to handle things I could never replace. Is there a way to scan them and print them myself?

Carolyn

We have a photo printer from Epson Stylus CX7800 that prints off of a negative. It can be run either with or without hooking up to your computer. It will also scan/copy a picture or accept photos saved to a memory card. Being able to utilize and print from old negatives was a big selling point with my husband. We purchased it late last year from Best Buy.

EDIT: also prints from slides.

Our HP scanner does the same (as well as slides). It is an older model, I am sure there are more-better-cheaper-faster versions on the market today.

When you learn to use the scanner use a negative that isn't precious, I have heard that the intense light can degrade the film. You want to scan the negative only once if possible. Then you can take it to a pro to see if their skills have a better result.

Depending on where you live (big city vs small town) there may be a higher end photo service place. The degree of skill of the employees should be higher than whoever crams negatives into the machine at Wally World.

You could use the "invert" adjustment in photoshop. If you don't have photoshop, you can download GIMP. Other free image programs may also have the feature.

It sounds from oter posts like scanning the negative is one way to digitize it. I have never tried that. For 35mm you might see if you can find someone with a slide copier attachment that fits a digital camera. Or maybe make some sort of light box and photograph the negative with a digital camera. Photoshop/Gimp can do wonders to fix the color balance problems you might get in the initial translation.

Thanks, I just wanted to avoid bringing them to work or to a photo shop. I think one of the scanners at work has the ability to scan negatives and I have a friend that has a unit I can use, I was just hoping I could do it today while I'm in the mood.

Oh CBF leave it to you to think that I would have naughty negatives I needed to develop. LOL

Sorry to say they are nothing more than pictures family photos. I'm trying to make an album for my sister and brother, I know they have none of these pictures, my brother because he's a guy and never cared and my sister because she was burned out several years ago and lost everything.

Outtahere said:
Oh CBF leave it to you to think that I would have naughty negatives I needed to develop. LOL

No problem. If you dont have any naughty pictures, you wanna buy some?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Outtahere said:
Oh CBF leave it to you to think that I would have naughty negatives I needed to develop.  LOL 

No problem.  If you dont have any naughty pictures, you wanna buy some?
You told me those were private and you wouldn't show anyone. :-[

Heck now that I know what pictures you have CFB I think I'll pass ;)

I have been using a Minolta Dimage slide/negative scanner that a friend loaned me. It is pretty cool and allows you to get the images into the computer, then work on them in Photoshop, which is nice because I have some damaged slides that I really wanted to repair. The girl I borrowed it from says you can pick them up on eBay for around $100, sometimes less. You might cast around for one to borrow--usually people do all their negatives then don't need it anymore. It is very slow, so if you have a lot to do, be prepared to devote a couple of days to the project.
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom