Ever Do Nothing?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do you ever do nothing at all? I don't mean mindlessly flipping through a magazine, surfing the net, or taking a nap. I mean doing nothing at all.

My favorite way to do nothing is to lie in the hammock, and pretend that I have a really stressful job, with a bad boss and long commute, I just drove 6 hours in hot, bad traffic to my vacation home, and the first thing I did was get out of the car and lie in the hammock.

In my short period in retirement so far, my favorite 'do nothing' thing is to simply lay back in a chair on the patio and watch and listen to the birds, the bees and butterflys as they muck around the flowers, shrubs and trees. It brings back memories of my childhood when I would climb a big hill on the ranch in the Rocky Mountains and then lie back in the grass, watch the clouds, and listen and watch nature.... especially the hawks as they would soar on the thermals as they sought out prey.

TromboneAl said:
Do you ever do nothing at all? I don't mean mindlessly flipping through a magazine, surfing the net, or taking a nap. I mean doing nothing at all.

My favorite way to do nothing is to lie in the hammock, and pretend that I have a really stressful job, with a bad boss and long commute, I just drove 6 hours in hot, bad traffic to my vacation home, and the first thing I did was get out of the car and lie in the hammock.

I frequently do exactly that without the precise fantasy. I think I will try it with that fantasy to see if that adds a little extra something. ::) I have a great view at my weekend house and often find myself sitting on the sofa just looking out at the water for an hour or more with a book in my lap - totally zoned out. We have a hammock strung between two trees on the lawn and I can lay there for hours on end. Here is the view, who needs something to do:

Attachments

• CHURCHPT.JPG
    CHURCHPT.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 217
  • CHURCHPT.JPG_thumb
    24.8 KB · Views: 0
donheff said:
I frequently do exactly that without the precise fantasy.

Al, if you need to fanasize in order to do nothing, I question your ability to succeed as a full-time good-for-nothing do nothing. As is frequently pointed out here, some people just don't get it and you may be one of those unfortunate individuals lacking the slacking gene.

Others might recommend you read "Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America" for inspiration and that you work hard to improve your do nothing skills. But since I once looked up the definition of oxymoron, I won't go there. :)

Some people really have a problem with doing nothing. I played golf with a guy yesterday that just retired(60) and he is worried to death about not having much to do. He told me he is so use to getting up at 5:00am and going to work that he is not sure if he can adjust to retirement. He also is afraid that it might lead to an early death.

I don't get it. I just can't imagine anyone not enjoying getting up at whatever time they choose and having the whole day to do whatever they want. Now I don't advocate sitting around all day and doing nothing but I sure don't have to be doing something intense from 8:00-5:00 everyday. He must have that working gene will not allow him to just do nothing.  :-\

Zoning out is one of my favorite things about camping in a nice place with a nice view and nice weather and under these circumstances I make sure to get in several hours of it daily. I'll set out the lawn furniture, sit with a book in my lap and binocs at my side, feet up, maybe a cool drink nearby. Inevitably I stare at the view and totally zone out. Occasionally something will catch my attention, I raise my bins and watch for a while. Then back to zoning out.

This is particularly effective if my body is already tired from having gone on a good hike or some other physical activity.

Great stuff!

Audrey

Not since I retired. I used to do nothing at work though, but they paid me, so I never considered it nothing.

TromboneAl said:
Do you ever do nothing at all?  I don't mean mindlessly flipping through a magazine, surfing the net, or taking a nap.  I mean doing nothing at all.
What about sitting in the lineup admiring the amazing variety of surfer-grrl swimwear & tattoo positions-- does that count?

Amen, Audrey. I've been great at zoning out all my life--beautiful scenery helps, but not required. I can zone out in a bus station, though I'm more likely to be hyper-attentive in new situations. Teachers would compain that I didn't pay attention--the neanderthals! Even while I'm reading this forum, every few minutes my mind goes off to what my physics teacher used to call Happy Valley Country Club.

Currently on the screened porch, grooving on the fluttering leaves, tweeting birds, chirping insects, and especially my ER...aided by the ceiling fan-enhanced breeze and a nice, minty mojito, courtesy of DH. Soon it will be time to fix dinner...pasta w/veggie sauce like we had in Italy with capers...and some shrimp. Juicy ripe South Carolina peaches for dessert...maybe I'll fix a cobbler...

I'll have to admit that I like zoning out. Friday evening after work, I sometimes sit in my backyard by the lake in my wicker furniture (peeling paint and all!) and stare at the lake, the trees, the birds, critters, geese, turtles, etc. Eventually the sun sets and I go back to reality.

Is it normal to fall asleep in some awkward position every time i try to do nothing?

I really can't relate to the do nothing descriptions. I guess I envy all of you. I can sit and focus on something to the point that I shut out other sites and sounds. This used to drive my DW crazy. My thoughts can be focused on very relaxing and/or enjoyable things, but if I reach a point where I am not thinking about something, it's because I'm asleep. I do really enjoy sleep and I sleep very soundly. 8)

I can't imagine doing nothing or being able to zone out and think about nothing or not be somehow involved in some mental activity. Heck, I can't even do that when I sleep it seems. Too much to do, too much to think about and too many things left undone right now.

DW can chill out with gusto; I am using her as a role model. :D

Some how working to not work seems too much like work.

When I zone out, I'm usually lost in some kind of random daydream. But even then I'm not very focused on that, because I never remember what I was thinking about afterwards, LOL!

Audrey

I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
- Peter, Office Space

You guys really wanna wait until ER to be worthless? Heck, it's one of my favorite things to be! I consider any weekend that I accomplish nothing to be time well spent.

When people ask me what I do, I occasionally reply that I try not to do more than 3 things a week ::)

I took off a Friday and a Monday 1 week ago to have a 4 day weekend. When asked what I would be doing on my "vacation", I responded "absolutely nothing" or "as little as possible". I think my coworkers thought I was kidding. :D

Back
Top Bottom