AARP Wants me Back................:)

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I belonged to AARP several years ago, because I wanted to know what they were telling seniors about investing, etc.

I got a letter saying I could be a member for 3 years for $29.50. I called them and told them I'm not 50, is that ok, and they said yes. So my check is in the mail to them. I figure on travel discounts alone I can save the membership fee in 2 trips............. :D

So I guess I'm AARP:confused:?

I let my AARP membership lapse when I found out that AARP stands for "Association for Sending You A lot of Junk Mail and having No Actual Benefits."

I've found that the discounts with AARP amount to nothing. I stopped paying them about 8 years ago and every month receive a letter to lure me back. No Way! IMHO, a waist of money.

I wish I had the monty they spent on the mailings to me, I could open an account with you :D

TromboneAl said:
I let my AARP membership lapse when I found out that AARP stands for "Association for Sending You A lot of Junk Mail and having No Actual Benefits."

Well, I already get a lot of that "stuff" anyway...........:)

We'll see..........I can always "fire" them............:)

TromboneAl said:
having No Actual Benefits

Yeah, except for being THE most powerful lobby in Congress (or so I've read).
That could be pretty relevant to these discussions about how much to count
on Social Security payments !

THE most powerful lobby in Congress

I think that the NRA has that honor.

I think that AARP has the worlds largest updated mailing list. They suck in members for $10/year and mail them all the marketing programs that they can. If mail rates ever increased for 3rd class mail they would be out of biz.

Since i get aarp i seem to have all this great maturity and deep emotional insight. NOT!

I've been using AAA for alot of discounts as I have been traveling.
Also it provided some great travel books.
I got more discounts than I paid in membership.

groucho had a line about never belonging to a club that would have him as a member ... he was on to something

Was a member for 10 years. Back when you could get a 10 year membership for $30; my mother bought it for my 50th birthday. Read the magazine every month a bit but, never saw a discount I could use. All the Insurance higher rates that you can get elsewhere (but got a couple of little clocks from the Hartford for doing a couple of calls about the car insurance). Get those mailing almost every month -- don't know how they keep up with me since I moved 3 times since I was a member. At least the NRA only mails me one every six months or so.

FinanceDude said:
I belonged to AARP several years ago, because I wanted to know what they were telling seniors about investing, etc.

So.........what ARE they telling seniors about investing, etc?

Back
Top Bottom