Rocky and Bond are alive and well - implications for us?

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It is often said that the movies are more of a reflection of the current times and possibly an indication of where we are going. The latest Rocky and Bond films may be an indicative. First off I'll say that I liked them. I don't go to many movie theaters; I'd rather wait for all the hype to be over and then see the ones that survive on video.

The Rocky movies reflected the American desire and history. Routing for the underdog to win against amazingly high odds. Also, and an aspect to American history - take a beating in the beginning and then come back and win at the end.

In this movie the enemy is time and unfinished business within Rocky himself.
What is the parraell here? Is it the baby boomer generation bowing out? I'm not sure but, there will be a college course to explain it, I'm sure.

The James Bond films also reflected the times in which they were made and I think you can figure them out for yourself. The current movie returns to the original Bond films where Bond was meaner, leaner and the women were there for his entertainment. He isn't as full of himself as other actors, play his role in a minimilistic manner but with more debth than the most recent actors have demonstrated. What does it say about us? Like Rocky, Bond is fooled on several times but wins in the end though pain and hard work. Is it a parraell to the war on terrorism?

dex said:
What does it say about us? Like Rocky, Bond is fooled on several times but wins in the end though pain and hard work.
One of my dojang's instructors called me Rocky the other night during our sparring.

I'm not sure it was a compliment...

Nords said:
One of my dojang's instructors called me Rocky the other night during our sparring.

I'm not sure it was a compliment...

Thrashed him good, did you?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Thrashed him good, did you?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I'm not sure that'll ever happen... those fourth-dan former national champions are pretty sneaky...

Back
Top Bottom