Actors Strike

I was reading about Campbell Soup (condensed). They are like a walking dead man. They say almost nobody under 30 consumes it. [...] Competitive variants like cup noodles are killing their marketshare.

I always keep Campbell's Soup (condensed) in my pantry. I should try some of these competitive variants like cup 'o' noodles! I'm 75 and just kept buying Campbell's because that is what I always bought.

Growing up, for lunch Mom always used to give us three kids Campbell's tomato soup with peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Guess I have been in a 70 year rut. :LOL:

Love this also... I read it a long time ago so no current basis for this...

But back in the 1800s (late I believe) one of the largest industries was shipping ice from the north to the south...

Who knows if true..

I don't know if it was the largest, but the ice industrial complex was huge in the early 20th century.

We were just reminiscing with friends last night about growing up in an old city that had little doors where the ice man would put a block of ice through right into your ice box.

All those jobs vanished in a flash when electric fridges became widely available. Perhaps they pivoted and got delivery jobs with UPS.:cool:

I always keep Campbell's Soup (condensed) in my pantry. I should try some of these competitive variants like cup 'o' noodles! I'm 75 and just kept buying Campbell's because that is what I always bought.

Growing up, for lunch Mom always used to give us three kids Campbell's tomato soup with peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Guess I have been in a 70 year rut. :LOL:

I'm with you. DW and I have an inventory of canned soup, and even in hot summer months still indulge ourselves, but less frequently than the colder months.

We like Campbell's cream of chicken/noodle soup. Take the 2 cans to make 1 lunch snack. Got started on it because of keeping our DGD & that is her favorite lunch.

Hi jacking the thread a bit here but I volunteer in a food pantry every week and we give out a lot of Campbell soup. Hard to keep on the shelves

Yeah, we buy it by the box (24 cans?) I like mushroom and she likes Tomato. We also keep chicken-noodle on hand. Great for colds! My secret to make any Campbells soup taste batter: Add a pat of butter and use a bit less diluent (water or milk as required.)

I still like these soups after all these years (one more year than W2R! :) )

Under normal circumstances, I'd say "Hey, we really got off on thread drift!"

But not in this case. You see, there are many, many examples of rich actors telling stories of how "I ate nothing but ramen" in their early days.*

Maybe more soup is in their future.

*Source. This is one of MANY:
https://www.insider.com/jeremy-renner-monthy-budget-ate-instant-ramen-pre-fame-2021-11
Jeremy Renner says that he sometimes had a monthly food budget of $10 and lived off of instant ramen before making it big in Hollywood

Under normal circumstances, I'd say "Hey, we really got off on thread drift!"

But not in this case. You see, there are many, many examples of rich actors telling stories of how "I ate nothing but ramen" in their early days.*

Heh, heh, yeah, surprised there hasn't been an appearance of the Four Yorkshiremen!

You got me thinking. I hope canned soup doesn't become unavailable. I use the "cream of" soups for cooking. Sometimes cream of onion is hard to find, but it's the best in casseroles and such. I always have a couple of cans on hand. Likewise chicken noodle, for when someone gets sick. Otherwise, to me, soup is not really a meal. Sometimes I'll use Ramon noodles for a quick "soup and sandwich" meal. I wouldn't open a can just for that.

You got me thinking. I hope canned soup doesn't become unavailable. I use the "cream of" soups for cooking. Sometimes cream of onion is hard to find, but it's the best in casseroles and such. I always have a couple of cans on hand. Likewise chicken noodle, for when someone gets sick. Otherwise, to me, soup is not really a meal. Sometimes I'll use Ramon noodles for a quick "soup and sandwich" meal. I wouldn't open a can just for that.

Right. Cream of mushroom is a great "base" for all kinds of casseroles. You can put virtually any canned veggie in it. Maybe some melted cheese on top. Crackers or bread crumbs for the crust. Even I can make one - full disclosure: Heh, heh, I don't make 'em.

We have very few cans of anything in the pantry. Prefer to eat fresh or frozen. A few cans of tomato sauce, paste, and rotel for cooking. Beef broth again for cooking. Cream of mushroom for making pot pies.
Only soup is ramen and we add veggies and left over meat for a quick meal.
Goto meal in college was noodles, butter, and mushrooms. Former GF turned me onto that.

Only soup is ramen and we add veggies and left over meat for a quick meal...

Good idea. I've been known to do that with Zaterain's rice boxes. One box usually makes 2 lunches for me. A Ramon package, meat and veggies would make a single meal. I'm gonna try that next time I have some leftover meat.

There's an article in the WSJ today about the strike. Per that story, one of the big issues is the change in how residuals work for streaming shows. In the past, for a network TV show, if that show hit 100 episodes, then it would go into syndication. The residuals for an actor in a syndicated TV show were apparently good enough to make house payments and that sort of thing. Streaming shows are different in several ways. First of all, they usual have only 8 - 10 episodes per season versus 22+ for a network TV show. Secondly, they are often continuously available on the streaming channel and are not likely to be sold to other "networks" and syndicated. I'm not sure it's a question so much of how many households have watched a streamed show as it's a question of how many networks want to buy the use of 10 seasons of The Big Bang Theory (over 200 episodes) versus streamed shows which often have adult content and many fewer episodes.

The article also points out that only Netflix has figured out how to turn a profit as a streaming service. I think this might be the crux of the issue because the actors are asking for a bigger slice of the pie, but the streaming pie does not appear to be as big as the executives thought it was.

On a related note, MLB has taken over broadcasting Arizona Diamondbacks' games from Diamond Sports Network which had stopped making payments for the rights to broadcast Arizona's games on their regional sports network. Another example of where executives greatly overestimated the demand for a particular product, at least in smaller MLB TV markets. And the cord cutting continues.

I remember Campbell's minestrone or chicken noodle soup with baloney sandwiches.

I don't recall the brand of the baloney but it was Wonder Bread and Best Food mayo.

I started making it for myself.

But it's really bad for you food, though cheap that households stocked that stuff.

My mother fed us Spam too, she'd fry it up and I remember that greasy smell. She wouldn't eat it herself, she only ate beef, no chicken, no pork.

I'm pretty sure the studios are making money from streaming. So are the stars. That is why streaming services are struggling to turn profit, they gave billions to the studios and they also sold 1-year subscriptions to telephone carriers, who gave it to their subscribers if they signed up for cell phone service contracts.

It's just that it's a very one-sided distribution of the money given to the studios, who are probably hogging most of it. Execs at studios are making hundreds of millions.

David Zaslav, the guy in charge of Warner Brothers Discovery (HBO Max, CNN, etc.) has earned over $1 billion in salary over his career and he also has stock, though WBD hasn't been profitable for a couple of years and he's cutting costs left and right. But in one of his lower earnings years, he took him like $30-40 million last year.

That is why streaming services struggle to make money.

I certainly understand that the "little people" in the industry want a piece of the pie. I just don't know if the "Moguls" even understand what is going to happen in the next 5 or 10 years. How would they know how to settle this dispute? If they make an offer based on their best guess of the future, and it happens to be wrong, they could bankrupt the studios. SO, I'm sure they'll play it close to the vest. Probably try to give some near term increase without guaranteeing a piece of the pie to the little people in the future.

Again, I have told you way more than I know - though I had two aunts who w*rked in a diner that often served the big stars (like John Wayne!):LOL:

Back
Top Bottom