Best route Across Pennsylvania - I-80 or I-76......?

I-80 is more direct (and no tolls). I have never driven I76. I80 is quite pretty in many spots, although you will have to pay attention to the weather this time of year (we always stopped for gas at Snowshoe, PA).

Where in NJ are you going?

No question. It would be I-80 for me. If I remember correctly; Garden State-78W-24-287-80W. Goes without saying to watch the weather and plan around NYC rush hour. PA troopers are out in spurts on I-80 so no greater than 75 in the 65 zones will keep you clean. I-80 can feel monotonous but it is quick and in decent shape.

T-Dave

I am from PA...I-80 will be quicker....I-76 is the PA Turnpike (a toll road) with slower speed limits in places. You will want to watch the weather because I-80 can get nasty.

If you are driving at night, watch out for the deer on I-80. I've seen more roadkill on I-80 in PA than any other highway I've ever driven on.

Thanks for the comments! - I-80 it will be! - Funny thing Google Maps plots out I-76 for me. - About the same distance.

I 80 is 9 miles from my house. The cautions about deer and weather are correct. You will see some interesting sights and nice scenery.

TargaDave said:
PA troopers are out in spurts on I-80 so no greater than 75 in the 65 zones will keep you clean.

Unless U R hauling drugs ;) . It's one of the main E-W roads for drug traffic in/out of NYC.

I don't think they will bother you unless you are driving a "pimp mobile" (like a Lexus ::) :LOL: :eek: )

Cut-Throat said:
Yes, but I would have had to wait 6 months for the options I wanted, and pay $3 Grand more! :(

- Another advantage of ER - I have plenty of time on my hands to buy across country. :)

Cool. Of course when you buy pre-owned like me, you just drive across town to pick it up. :LOL: Maybe one day I'll splurge for a new one. :-\

Cut-Throat said:
I am picking up the car in Oakhurst N.J. - close to Asbury Park. Flying out Tuesday and driving back.

You are going to be within half an hour of my hood. Let me know if you need any local info.

brewer12345 said:
You are going to be within half an hour of my hood. Let me know if you need any local info.

OK - Cool! - I used to work out in Jersey and know there are a lot of great italian restuarants. - Know of any in the Oakhurst/Asbury Park/Ocean area?

Good luck with your new car. Be careful and watch your speed across OHIO. They say they allow 9 over the posted speed of 65mph. BTW we are about 5 miles north of Rt80.

Dave

Cut-Throat said:
OK - Cool! - I used to work out in Jersey and know there are a lot of great italian restuarants. - Know of any in the Oakhurst/Asbury Park/Ocean area?

Go to Red Bank and throw a rock. It is styled as a brewpub (and the beer is decent), but Basil T's in Red Bank and Toms River has excellent Italian food.

Best route Across Pennsylvania - I-80 for You

Like others have said, you should take I-80 across PA, since you are headed back to MN. I live near Pittsburgh, but have taken both I-76 and I-80 across PA in both directions (used to live near Trenton, NJ and grew up near Erie). I-76 is really too far south for you.

It must be your lucky week - the weather across northern PA for next week appears to be above freezing during daylight hours. That's rare for this time of year.

Enjoy the new car. Watch out for deer and potholes: I-80 used to have the reputation for being one of the worst roads in the nation for potholes (according to truckers).

Back
Top Bottom