For those living in other countries (esp. Costa Rica)

LRAO

Recycles dryer sheets
What cities are the expatriates living in?

I'm going to Costa Rica next month and want to check out the lifestyle...

Everything I have recently read about Costa Rica says it has become quite expensive. Especially the real estate. As I don't know your reason for going there, this may not be an issue.

However, most US citizens going there are doing so for a cheaper cost of living. Unless you are a surfer. Panama is the country of choice now, until it becomes another Costa Rica. What is your motivation in moving there?

I'm going there on vacation, but I wanted to check it out as a possible living destination.

Of course, there are day flights to Panama...

We go to PV MX every year for 2 months (this Saturday yea!) and there is a thriving exPat community there. Living costs are about 35% cheaper than Vancouver. If you are not looking for a secluded beachfront home, then there is more choices of accommodations as well (compared to Costa Rica).

High-speed internet with Vonage phone service makes you close to home. And you can get all the TV networks and specialty channels on Starchoice Satellite service. We have two friends who live there fulltime. Most others own or rent places for the season. There is an active rental market for July and August and Christmas with the locals from Guad and Mexico City. Rental income helps reduce the cost of ownership.

Once you get as far south as Central America, you might want to consider Uruguay. Cheaper still yet not 3rd world.

I've never been to Costa Rica but I spent some time in Panama in 2005. It's getting expensive fast as many expats are going there now. Especially in the private expat communities in the mountain areas (ie. David, Boquete). Panama doesn't suffer the problems Costa Rica has now as far as overcrowding and crime, but it's only a matter of time IMO. Great place, nice people and I had a great time while I was there, but I spent most my time in and around Panama City with locals.

Manzanillo, Mexico is soon to become home ( a few hours by car south of PV ). Away from the maddening crowds yet no problems getting most anything you need. Not as inexpensive as some places, but still about half the cost of most US locations. Real estate is starting to move up from the boomers, but still very manageable.

Have a safe trip and I hope you find what you are looking for.

While I haven't visited any of these, here's some tidbits....

Among Costa Rica's attractions (at least when it was affordable) is that it is one of the, ahem, "whiter" countries of Latin America. They never had slavery there, if I recall my capsule history correctly. Crime varies quite a bit in these countries, so check with sources you trust (certainly not me!!!) Call me racist, but it's often the case that the darkest are the poorest, and the most crime- and violence- prone. Just like in the good ole' US of A.

Right-wingers will be happy to know that in some of these countries you can carry a firearm, even concealed handgun sometimes. You (probably) need a permit -- please make sure, because you may spend several years in a not-very-pleasant prison if you make a mistake. I've seen it recommended you NOT pick a fight in Panama (for above reason). The legal system is quite different from the USA's, so if you're planning to pack a rod and/or shoot (in self defense, hopefully), please check out the local laws before you become the next candidate for a "Midnight Express" type movie.

pedorrero said:
Among Costa Rica's attractions (at least when it was affordable) is that it is one of the, ahem, "whiter" countries of Latin America. They never had slavery there, if I recall my capsule history correctly.

I think a better and more descriptive way to put it is that Costa Rica has a large middle class unlike many other Latin American countries. The Spanish that settled there did so for the farming (and the like) and not precious metals which CR didn't have, so no very rich upper class was created at the expense of the large poor lower class.

A few years ago, my wife and I traveled around Costa Rica for about 3 months. We actually stayed with an expat in Escazu for a few weeks while we were attending Spanish immersion school. Escazu, which is about 30 minutes outside of San Jose, seems to be a big US expat area, but of course that means that it is fairly Americanized. There's a mall similar to what you'd find in the US, chain restaurants, lots of people driving around in SUV's, etc. Also, don't bother spending much time in San Jose. Not much to see there.

Not to hijack, but you seemed to leave the door open to other discussion ...

How about New Zealand? Australia?

pedorrero said:
While I haven't visited any of these, here's some tidbits....

Among Costa Rica's attractions (at least when it was affordable) is that it is one of the, ahem, "whiter" countries of Latin America. They never had slavery there, if I recall my capsule history correctly. Crime varies quite a bit in these countries, so check with sources you trust (certainly not me!!!) Call me racist, but it's often the case that the darkest are the poorest, and the most crime- and violence- prone. Just like in the good ole' US of A.

Before you make these inflammatory statements, you should first examine the reasons why crime and poverty is higher among darker skinned people. Due in large part to a history of oppression, slavery, lack of education and other opportunities, historical financial rape from the European powers. You really sound like a racist because it's obvious to me that ignorance/lack of education, crime and poverty go hand in hand. It's irrelevant what the skin color is since the same would be true of white people given the same socio-economic realities. Everyone is an individual; it's never about skin color; it's all about socio-economic situation. Seems like you're deliberately ignoring the crime in poor communities of Eastern Europe and elsewhere. I reckon that crime would be even worse in the US among it's poor disadvantaged people if there was no welfare system. They would be hanging out on the streets begging and stealing like they do in some third world countries.

Back
Top Bottom