ER Forum Cookbook

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm considering volunteering to put together an ER Forum cookbook. You guys would volunteer the recipes, and I'd copy and paste them into a document, and save it as a PDF file. Below is a sample. It would be one recipe per page. I'd probably have a few sections (appetizers, main dishes, soups and stews, desserts, other). It would be great if you supplied a picture, but that's not necessary.

If people think it's a good idea, I'll start a new thread for recipes or links to previously posted recipes.

Other ideas?

Attachments

• CookbookPage.jpg
    CookbookPage.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
  • CookbookPage.jpg_thumb
    22.9 KB · Views: 4
I'd swear I see zucchini and carrots in the picture, but not listed in the recipe?

Also, I have a killer Date Nut Bread if this idea takes off.

I'd swear I see zucchini and carrots in the picture, but not listed in the recipe?

I'm not going to stress accuracy.

Actually, that picture was just for example.

I love the idea Al!!! I will help with recipes and taste testing!!! Once it is assembled we can have a pot-luck dinner too! :D

Actually we could give it a catchy title, hawk it and fund the board forever!!!

I'm in........I just inherited all my grandmother's recipes from the "old days"......... :D :D :D

FinanceDude said:
I'm in........I just inherited all my grandmother's recipes from the "old days"......... :D :D :D

OH GREAT Finance Dude... Comfort food for both my hips... I will increase treadmill time everytime I cook one of hers I bet! ;)

Sounds good to me.

Bit of a challenge, as I am a "stream of conciousness" cook.

Khan said:
Sounds good to me.

Bit of a challenge, as I am a "stream of conciousness" cook.
Next time you start riffing on a favorite jot down the steps/volumes. Sort of like recording a macro.

ummm, im going first. this was made by me for the first time EVER 10 minutes ago, and the fiance is raving!! i made it up...and it takes 5 minutes to prepare...no jokes...serves 2

1 lb boneless chicken breast
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1/3 cup crushed up cornflakes or similar (I used Honey Bunches of Oats)
1/3 cup italian seasoned breadcrmbs or the like (optional)
1/2 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix
A little Olive oil or similar

1.Put the parmesan, crushed flakes, and hidden valley ranch in a gallon zip loc bag

2.Coat the chicken totally with olive oil

3) put it in the bag and shake it up real good, smear the dry stuff onto the chicken to coat completely

4)cook the coated chicken for 50 minutes on 350 ina greased (i use pam) baking dish

5)once you pull it out of the oven, sprinkle it with a little seasoned salt if you want and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a decent amount of the dry ranch mix. Do it to taste, but I think I used approx 1 medium 3 fingered pinch of ranch mix (very scientific, I know) per piece of chicken ...this is NOT optional...do it!

wab said:
How about an ER swimsuit calendar?

40s & 50s & 60s in bathing suits. someone stop my heart from pounding. sort of eliminates the need for an er forum cookbook because i think i just lost my appetite.

Sooooo - some poster is going to cut loose with the Kathy Bates jpg and we remain silent until the spring thaw?

heh heh heh - yikes!

Great idea Al!

I need all the cooking help I can get - I'll do the test-kitchen work.

A quickie appetizer: Secret Recipe Queso

2lb box Velveeta or other processed cheese (yeah, I know...)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1lb jar salsa
1lb ground sausage, hot if you prefer

Brown sausage, then drain. Add all ingredients to slow cooker; heat until cheese is melted, stirring occasionaly.

Are you going to search and find all the recipes that have been posted over the years?

thefed said:
ummm, im going first. this was made by me for the first time EVER 10 minutes ago, and the fiance is raving!! i made it up...and it takes 5 minutes to prepare...no jokes...serves 2

1 lb boneless chicken breast
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1/3 cup crushed up cornflakes or similar (I used Honey Bunches of Oats)
1/3 cup italian seasoned breadcrmbs or the like (optional)
1/2 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix
A little Olive oil or similar

1.Put the parmesan, crushed flakes, and hidden valley ranch in a gallon zip loc bag

2.Coat the chicken totally with olive oil

3) put it in the bag and shake it up real good, smear the dry stuff onto the chicken to coat completely

4)cook the coated chicken for 50 minutes on 350 ina greased (i use pam) baking dish

5)once you pull it out of the oven, sprinkle it with a little seasoned salt if you want and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a decent amount of the dry ranch mix. Do it to taste, but I think I used approx 1 medium 3 fingered pinch of ranch mix (very scientific, I know) per piece of chicken ...this is NOT optional...do it!

That sounds good! Now I'm hungry again! ;)

Onioned chicken:

Cast iron skillet
fill with sliced onion (can add carrots celery garlic)
place chicken on veggies
cook at 400F for 1.5 to 2 hours

serve chicken in whatever manner you choose

deglaze skillet with wine and use as start of soup

Fantastic idea! I am always on the lookout for new recipes, especially easy ones.

I can't remember where I stole this from, but it's an easy recipe that I've been using for years and it's a family favorite. The name is used because it was alleged to have been used in FDR's White House

White House Swiss Steak:

1 thinly sliced onion
½ cup divided oil
2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
½ tablespoon seasoned pepper
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
6 8 ounce top round steaks
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 cups flour
1 cup beef stock
2 cups V8 juice
1 cup julienne sliced carrots
1 cup julienne sliced celery

Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of oil until golden. Remove from pan and sprinkle with thyme. Dredge steaks in flour, salt and pepper, and spice mixture. Pound steaks with mallet to integrate flour into meat. Brown steaks in remaining oil. Transfer steaks to pan with onions. Pour V8 juice and beef stock over steaks. Cover pan and cook at 350 for 1 hour. Turn steaks over and cover with vegetables. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.

Serve over cooked rice

White Chili - 4 Servings

239 calories per serving, without toppings

½ lb (~ 2 cups) cooked, cubed chicken
½ of an onion chopped up
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
1 can (15.5 oz) white kidney beans (cannelloni), undrained
16 black olives, sliced
½ cup corn
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp parsley
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp ground red pepper

1. Using non-stick spray, slightly brown the cooked, cubed chicken. Remove chicken.
2. Cook the onion, then add the broth, green chilies and spices. Simmer 30 minutes, covered.
3. Stir in cooked chicken, beans, olives, and corn. Serve after warmed.

Top with cilantro. Add lo-fat sour cream (2 tbsp = 40 cal) and shredded cheese (1/8 cup cheese = 50 cal) if desired to each bowl. (With toppings, 329 cal per serving)

This is a HUGE amount of chili. Great for a party, i.e. think Superbowl! Otherwise, freeze it into smaller portions. It reheats really nicely.

“Feed the Masses” Chili

3# lean ground beef
3 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
3 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp ground red pepper
4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
~ 1 ½ tsp salt (more or less to taste)

~ 3 tablespoons oil
5 green peppers, chopped
6 cups chopped onion
4 stalks celery, chopped
24 oz sliced fresh mushrooms

2 – 29 oz cans tomato sauce
2 – 40 ½ oz cans light red kidney beans
1 – 39 oz can hot chili beans
1 – 16 oz jar of hot salsa
2 – 5 ¾ oz cans olives (drained and sliced)

~ 5/8 cup of brown sugar (more or less to taste)

Sauté the vegetables in oil in a large soup pot. (Add the mushrooms last to avoid overcooking).
Meanwhile, in another pan, brown the ground beef. Then add all of the spices to the ground beef and cook through.
Add the ground beef mixture to the vegetables. Now add the remainder of the ingredients except the brown sugar.
Stir completely. Last, add brown sugar, (to taste) in small increments.

Enjoy!

Hey, wait wait! I haven't put up the recipe posting thread yet. I'll do that now. Man, this is going to be a full time job.

Are you going to search and find all the recipes that have been posted over the years?

No, you guys will do that. Copy and paste them into the recipe thread.

A long time ago I posted my Low Country Shrimp & Grits on WIkipedia - don't ask me why, just fooling around I guess. Anyway you're welcome to it if you can find it - look in food/recipes, maybe?

Anyway it's killer.

Al has his recipe thread up now and I made it sticky, so it appears at the top of the page.

Back
Top Bottom