In Atlanta: How to negotiate to...

Tommy_Dolitte

Recycles dryer sheets
If there is anyone on the board in Atlanta that has experience in purchasing a home, I'm in dire need of help.

The agents that I've had so far have been unprofessional and rude to say the least.

I'm looking to purchase in Rockdale, Gwinnett (near Stone Mtn), or Dekalb county and need advice/direction on how to find and negotiate in this town.

Thanks,
TD

there is an atlanta based realtor on fool.com named sonnypage

-h

I 2nd the referral to Sonnypage, he seems very experienced and you can probably discuss LBYM and SWR in between houses with him.

I live in Smyrna and have bought two houses here without an agent; in new subdivisions. Here are my suggestions:
1. Drive around the areas you want to buy in
2. Select several properties
3. Try to be among the first in a new subdivision
4. Research recent sale prices via MLS in those areas
5. Go to the builders' web site to see what they are offering in discounts and commissions to agents.
6. Learn to be an actor when you negociate - have the attitute that there are a lot of properties out there and I don't need this one - dress well and don't tell the agent too much about yourself or where you have been looking
7. Tell the agents you can close at ASAP but you are not in a rust - if this is true
8. Offering price
Posted price
less homebuilder discount
less agent commission - you aren't using
less about 2 - 3 percent of above

Example
300K Posted price
- 15K Discount
- 9K Agent Fee
276K highest price you should pay
270 offer price

9. Don't close on the same date as the final walk through - put a week or so in between - have all the items fixed BEFORE you close or you will be chasing the builder to get them done.

It works in this market - I did it - So far I have the lowest priced house in my subdivision - I was the first to close in the subdivision.

Let us know how it goes.

Just remember the realtor exists to facilitate a sale. Your desires/needs/wants are secondardy in thier eyes.

What's the dire need?

Back
Top Bottom