Paradise - the best spot on earth

janeeyre

Recycles dryer sheets
I met a well-traveled couple this morning who couldn't stop singing the praises of an island off the coast of Africa called Seychelles. I must admit that I had never heard of it before. They said that it was "...paradise...the best spot on earth...." with shades of blues, greens and other colors that they never saw before. They had just returned last week and are planning to go back to Seychelles in the fall.

Paradise -- perfect perfect perfect.

Have you ever been there? or knew anyone who has? Sounds like a bit too far.

For me, I still love the Grand Canyon -- hiking, rafting, sleeping under the stars there...

For me, the definition of "the best spot on earth" includes far more than "shades of blues, greens and other colors that they never saw before."

There comments were based on "vacation paradise". --- not the heavy stuff. We all know that paradise is looking into your loved one eyes.

Gosh the Grand Canyon is something else! I have been one time and only stayed the day due to driving across country. However we plan to go back real soon to do some camping and we totally cant wait!

janeeyre said:
There comments were based on "vacation paradise". --- not the heavy stuff. We all know that paradise is looking into your loved one eyes.

Right you are. But as far as physical locations, I vote for Madeira.

My vote is for Yosemite Valley. Even though there are too many people, there still aren't that many. And it is so special it doesn't matter.

Madeira, known originally to the Romans as the Purple Islands, was rediscovered, possibly accidentally, by Portuguese sailors and settled by Portugal as early as 1418 or as late as 1420.

... from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira

mmmm, Pirates. Yar! :LOL:

Based on that link, it sounds good to me, but I've never been there. Weather and outside activities are the big things for me.

Perfection would be moving the North Shore of Lake Superior to a tropical climate, and/or keeping it 70-ish and non-humid. Anybody know a place like that?

-CC

We went there on vacation three years ago. You couldn't ask for better weather -- 70 degrees F all year round. Everyone has a water view (because it is very mountainous). The levadas, which are irrigation canals that follow the contours of the mountains and have paths next to them, provide plenty of hiking opportunities. There is also mountaineering in the center of the island. The people were very nice and accommodating. Since I can speak French, Spanish and Italian, I decided to learn a little Portuguese to get around. I need not have bothered -- they speak English better than I do. There are almost no Americans there - mostly English, French and Germans. It is the perfect mix of subtropical paradise and Europe. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to make specific recommendations.

Gumby said:
There are almost no Americans there - mostly English, French and Germans.

As a dumb Canuck, I''l observe:
No Americans. Actually I like most Americans, but maybe not their government's actions.
Mostly English. A lot of them dream of thir colonial days and expect me, a colonial, to worship them.
French and Germans. My recollections of my European vacation: RUDE Frenchmen and ARROGENT Germans.

Too bad, sounds like paradise lost.

Gumby said:
Right you are. But as far as physical locations, I vote for Madeira.

Madiera looks like a great place to visit.

I went to Majorca in the mediterranean (Island off the coast of spain) when I was in the military. It is a popular vacation spot for Europeans. I don't know that it rates as paradise... but at 20 years old with all those young beauties vacationing there... It sure seemed like it.

I have always wanted to take DW there. Majorca is on our travel list.

By Gumby, I think I will add Madiera as a candidate to our travel list also!

The more I travel and the more I see the more I realize that there are countless "best places on earth." Too many to see and experience in a lifetime I'm afraid. And even if you managed to experience them all, all those wonders visited decades ago become new again. It's a wonderful thing. Time to get started.

kumquat said:
No Americans. Actually I like most Americans, but maybe not their government's actions.
Mostly English. A lot of them dream of thir colonial days and expect me, a colonial, to worship them.
French and Germans. My recollections of my European vacation: RUDE Frenchmen and ARROGENT Germans.

The young wife and I spent a week in Paris back in the 90's. I didn't find the French people to be rude at all (Of course, it helps to speak French). I have never been to Germany, but I have known some German people. They did not strike me as arrogant (although they all had very odd fashion sense)

Anyone been to the Maldives? Rated very highly for scuba diving. I get the sense they are visited more by Europeans than Americans and I've not considered the destination too seriously (yet) because of the distance, and concerns about political instability. But they sure do look gorgeous on the tourism website.

kumquat said:

One of the great and exciting things about travel is learning and adapting to other cultures. If, however, one jets into someone else's country without making an effort to learn the customs and speak the language (at least a little), you will often find the natives "rude" and "arrogant." Just the same, I'd be curious to know how receptive your home town would be to a German pilgrim who's first words to everyone he meets was "Sprechen sie Deutsch?"

I have found where I think is Paradise On Earth (POE?) but if I tell you, will it still be Paradise? ;)

Gumby said:
We went there on vacation three years ago. You couldn't ask for better weather -- 70 degrees F all year round. Everyone has a water view (because it is very mountainous). The levadas, which are irrigation canals that follow the contours of the mountains and have paths next to them, provide plenty of hiking opportunities. There is also mountaineering in the center of the island. The people were very nice and accommodating. Since I can speak French, Spanish and Italian, I decided to learn a little Portuguese to get around. I need not have bothered -- they speak English better than I do. There are almost no Americans there - mostly English, French and Germans. It is the perfect mix of subtropical paradise and Europe. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to make specific recommendations.

Are you speaking of Madeira or The Seychelles?

Ha

Madeira.

I was born and grew up in Mauritius, which is an island not far from the Seychelles and the Maldives. I have worked in Canada and am currently in the US. I find that many Europeans know about the Seychelles and Mauritius because they are well travelled, get generous vacation time and are more adventurous. Americans and canadians prefer to stick closer to home, and a few will venture to Europe and Asia. Most of the co-workers have never even left the US, now how are they going to know where the Seychelles is ?

Islandboy said:
I was born and grew up in Mauritius, which is an island not far from the Seychelles and the Maldives. I have worked in Canada and am currently in the US. I find that many Europeans know about the Seychelles and Mauritius because they are well travelled, get generous vacation time and are more adventurous. Americans and canadians prefer to stick closer to home, and a few will venture to Europe and Asia. Most of the co-workers have never even left the US, now how are they going to know where the Seychelles is ?

So true and I am guilty of same. I was so embarrassed to say that I had never heard of Seychelles. I still haven't been to Hawaii. But, I plan on going there within the next two years. We have friends on Maui and I would like to visit them and,hopefully, see a few of the other Islands.

As for Seychelles, I guess I will have to be satisfied with the description from others. Too far for me.

Islandboy said:
I find that many Europeans know about the Seychelles and Mauritius because they are well traveled, get generous vacation time and are more adventurous. Americans and Canadians prefer to stick closer to home, and a few will venture to Europe and Asia. Most of the co-workers have never even left the US, now how are they going to know where the Seychelles is?

You maybe are not fully familiar with geography yourself. In addition to Americans woeful lack of adventuresome spirit as compared to those doughty Europeans, have you not noticed that Europe is quite a bit closer to the Indian Ocean than the US and Canada are? Maybe proximity is a factor?

Ha

I will most DEFINITELY have to visit the Seychelles. In fact, I need to visit most of the major islands in the world. The neat thing about islands is that they develop unique natural systems.

Audrey

I dunno... my idea of paradise is unlimited time and access to the stacks at the UC Berkeley library... One of my goals for retirement is to move there and audit any classes I want for a couple of years.

...but I'm weird that way.

Talking about wonderful, remote islands, I'll let out my favorite place on the planet; Rarotonga. The Marquesas are nice and various other islands but Raro is accessable, exotic and comfortable. Off islands of Fiji are pretty neat too.

Back
Top Bottom