A cold hating Pennsylvania man in Florida

I'm thinking only the school tax portion of your property tax is frozen, not the other taxes that are part of the bill.

Correct.

If you qualify your residence homestead for an age 65 or older or disabled person homestead exemption for school district taxes, the school district taxes on that homestead cannot increase as long as you own and live in that home.

This freeze does not apply to all the other entities who tax your property. No freeze or over 65 exemption for city, state, county, road, hospital district, emergency service district, community college district, etc. taxes. They can (and do) go up - virtually every year.

When I was in Houston w*rking many, many times, Folks that lived in the Woodlands, Katy and Sugarland did nothing but complain about the high RE taxes, has something changed?

The only time I ever heard anyone not complaining about how high his taxes were, was about 1 1/2 years ago at a fishing lodge. A guy from Oklahoma was telling us how very happy he was that he had moved there and was telling us how low his property taxes were... (About 2-3 Months later, I saw the news covering most of the Oklahoma Teachers walking out of the classrooms because of poor pay etc.)

When I was in Houston w*rking many, many times, Folks that lived in the Woodlands, Katy and Sugarland did nothing but complain about the high RE taxes, has something changed?

Only know about The Woodlands and nothing has changed here except Exxon/Mobil built their $4 Billion dollar tech headquarters and brought in 8,000 new jobs and a lot of other development happened also. Same tax rate of about 2.2% of appraised value. That's not too bad compared to other high tax states.

My property taxes are twice what they were in SoCal except we don't get tp pay the Cal state tax of 11% (?) and the LA City income tax of 4% (?).

Still no income tax in Texas with a state sales tax rate of 6.25%. Max that can be is 8.25% (city special purpose taxes up the state rate where appropriate).

We encourage outsiders not to move here but that has not been slowing them down. Maybe if they saw REWhoo's list of bad things in Texas they would move to Florida instead of here.

Last edited:
I think Woodlands / Conroe is the fastest growing area in the U S . Something is right there.

Back
Top Bottom