Real Estate Agent in Down Real Estate Market

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know someone who just became a real estate agent in Alameda, California.

It may seem obvious, but is she likely to have a hard time, given the current state of the real estate market?

but i have heard the market in the bay area is still relatively active, still some overbidding etc. going on...so may be regionally different. and i still see lots of ads in socal for agents in certain hot growth spots, although i know prices have either stagnated or dropped a bit...

I think the industry is about to suffer an agent shakeout. It isn't just about the sales volume, it is about the sales worker volume. I think a new entrant will need to really ramp up their marketing skills as well as their negotiating skills. I don't think tomorrow's seller will pay full sell commissions without added value (staging and professional photography for a start).

Here is an interesting thread on a Realtor(R) blog I read regularly, responding to the Madison Wisc study:
For-Sale-By-Owners sell for more because agents sell for less | Rain City Guide | A Seattle Real Estate Blog...

It may seem obvious, but is she likely to have a hard time, given the current state of the real estate market?
Well, this may be a bad time to try to scoop up money in a bucket.

But from a learning & experience perspective, she couldn't have picked a better time to start!

Hawaii's RE contraction of the 1990s also wiped out about 2/3 of the state's active realtors... no telling how many of those tried to crash the party as it was ending.

Back
Top Bottom