Financial software expense catagories limited.

Florida

Recycles dryer sheets
Microsoft Money and Quicken as we know downloads activity from bank accounts and CC's and catagories the expenses into a number of catagories.

If you had to choose only 6 catagories to allocate all of your yearly expenses what would those six be?

1. CreditCard
2. Mortgage
3. Utilities
4. Charity
5. Taxes

OK, I only needed 5 categories.

Nice topic and I was just thinking about this since I have just started tracking last year....

1. Groceries
2. Other Household - yard, garden, home repair and maint.
3. Gas and Car
4. Taxes
5. Eating out/entertainment
6. Utilities

It probably doesnt matter what you have as long as you can use the info. to estimate future expenses...heck...I like the 1 credit card cat.

Last edited:
I'm thinking

Household - mortage/rent, utilities, phones (including cell) maintenance, household products, insurance, property taxes.

Transportation - auto payments, maintenance, gas, insurance including umbella policy, parking. public transportation.

Food - all groceries and drinks (non alcoholic) bought for the home.

Personal care - heath insurance, haircuts, toilteries, vitamins, gym membership, clothes, education.

Entertainment- stuff you buy ie. ipod, laptop, CD's, dining out, vacations, golf memberships, alcohol, nightclubs, social events, membership fees.

Taxes/Charities- Federal City and State, tax preparation fees or software. Contributions made.

Auto
Food
Mortgage Interest
Utilities
Taxes
Household

Is there some reason that you are limiting yourself to six, or is this just a "what would you want on a deserted island?" type question?

If I had to choose just six (I probably have 20 in real life), my first thought would be to choose the top five and then roll the rest into Misc, thus:

Child Support
Kids
Mortgage Interest
Taxes
Food
Misc (everything else)

My spending over a rolling six month period seems to be holding very constant, so a budget is now more of academic interest to me anyway.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom