Material Weakness Poll

Do you have one or more material weaknesses?

• Yes

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A lot of posters have admitted, in Moemg's thread, to having one or more material weaknesses. No minor things like bottle caps or miniature pig sculptures, but big items like motorcycles, antique cars, tropical islands, and RVs.

I'm curious as to what percentage of us have these material weaknesses. So if you have one more of these, as described in that thread, answer yes.

So "yes" means a big thing, as opposed to not terribly costly weaknesses? Jeez, I thought my monthly costco run was bad until I saw the big league stuff posted by others.

None at the moment. I'm either cured or in-between.

on moemg's thread i listed some lusts but really there is nothing material that i can not do without so here i am voting no.

i can wake up to find myself without cars, boats, sex or even california navel oranges and be completely at peace.

i'll play while i'm here, but mine is not such a material world.

A lot of posters have admitted, in Moemg's thread, to having one or more material weaknesses. No minor things like bottle caps or miniature pig sculptures, but big items like motorcycles, antique cars, tropical islands, and RVs.

I'm curious as to what percentage of us have these material weaknesses. So if you have one more of these, as described in that thread, answer yes.

Interesting you say motorcycles.... I was talking to one of my sister and BIL about retirement.... and I had said something about spending so much money on his motorcycles (he has 4 working and 3 others in pieces...)... he said, I got a total of $7500 in them... I was shocked.. he has a Gold Wing, a pocket rocket, and two dirt bikes that work... he buys them used and cheap but in great shape...

Interesting you say motorcycles.... I was talking to one of my sister and BIL about retirement.... and I had said something about spending so much money on his motorcycles (he has 4 working and 3 others in pieces...)... he said, I got a total of $7500 in them... I was shocked.. he has a Gold Wing, a pocket rocket, and two dirt bikes that work... he buys them used and cheap but in great shape...

That isn't bad at all. A new Goldwing is about $17K and that is before you start customizing.

No. I have tried developing some in the last few years, especially now that I
have retired, but it is tough breaking a lifetime of hard-wired LBYM.

I haven't voted yet as I am unclear on the concept. I could cut $1,000 from my monthly expenses if I stop supporting my significant other, fire the cleaning lady and eat out less often.

CyclingInvestor, have you tried hand-made lemon custard ice cream? I'm temporarily abstaining until my waistline returns to a smaller normal, so there is plenty of it around.

Not really.

I have been spending more on software and electronics, but I'm still not spending all of my pension.

Not a collector

I always thought the goal was to create the perfect life, not the perfect collection. I have always tried to create the perfect synthesis of comfort, convenience, luxury, and utility. Something that best says me and together creates a lifestyle. Well, maybe one. Anything Louis XV that so well epitomizes the creation of a manner of living suitable to me. One I wish I could afford to indulge more than I can. :(

Al,
It seems to me that you have a material weakness to fess up to .Does the word longboard mean anything to you ?

CyclingInvestor, have you tried hand-made lemon custard ice cream? I'm temporarily abstaining until my waistline returns to a smaller normal, so there is plenty of it around.

I recently bought the deluxe Cusinart Electric Compressor Ice Cream Maker as
a counterattack to my low-spending ways (althought I have not used it yet). I do
not know if this qualifies as hand-made, but I will give it a try.

I recently bought the deluxe Cusinart Electric Compressor Ice Cream Maker as
a counterattack to my low-spending ways (althought I have not used it yet). I do
not know if this qualifies as hand-made, but I will give it a try.

Good job! oops, J*b. Money is for spending (all the better if in fun ways). I also recently bought a Cusinart (but probably a different model) for sorbets and such. A book called "how to cook everything" recommends ice cream machine as one of the few kitchen appliances worth owning even if used rarely. I get a can of low-fat coconut milk, add a little sugar and scraped vanilla; it theoretically whips up in 30 minutes (if the container is cold enough--needs to have been in the freezer a couple of days in advance).

Books (as described in Moemg's thread) are a lifelong weakness. Right now there are four on the bedside table, ready to be read when I get the time.

When visiting South America I got interested in gemstones and went through a phase of buying gemstone jewelry when away from home (usually duty free). I now have a nice collection with something for every occasion and am no longer buying or even shopping for gemstones. Never spent more than a couple of hundred dollars at a time.

I've never felt the need for a boat, horse, muscle car, home theatre or swimming pool. Growing up in a modest home, the big toys don't mean much to me. If I feel the need to sail, I'll rent a boat. If I have an urge to ride, I'll go to a riding stable, etc.

Little things:
Music and home stereo
Books

Big thing:
I have a 1976 Monte Carlo that will be restored in a few years. That is my only expensive toy.

Al,
It seems to me that you have a material weakness to fess up to .Does the word longboard mean anything to you ?

No, no, 'cause I only have one. Now, if I were like this guy...

img_535723_0_416a66748e82302c463f192708e145cc.jpg

And check out all the other Longboard Material Weaknesses here.

Back
Top Bottom