How many cars per driver in your household?

How many vehicles per driver in your household?

• None

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Less than 1 (e.g., 1 car for 2 of you)

Votes: 34 14.7%

Votes: 94 40.7%
  • Between 1 & 2 (e.g., 3 cars for 2 of you)

Votes: 40 17.3%

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • more than 2

Votes: 35 15.2%

• Total voters
We own an old convertible that we take to car shows and on club outings. We have owned this car for over 20 years and have put a total of about 6,000 miles on it, 1200 of those 6,000 was the result of driving it from out previous home in Iowa to our current home in Florida. For daily driving chores we have a crew cab pickup truck. Since we live in a"golf cart" community we also bought a new one 6 months ago. We have already driven it about 1,200 miles.

We "used" to be a 3 car family. When I retired (Second Time) in 2010, I had a Porsche Twin Turbo S and a Jeep Wrangler, both under 2 years old. DW drove her E350 Merc. Being fully retired, I only every used the Porsche very rarely, the Jeep was my daily driver. The Jeep did approx. 4000 miles in 2 years.

When DW returned her leased Merc. and got a BMW 3 Series, I re-evaluated, then sold the Porsche and the Jeep, wondering what to get next. Since then we have only ever had 1 car between us, punctuated by 2 scooters for pottering about. I have considered getting another "toy" car but I am simply not that interested anymore. An "newer" Aston Martin desire is still lurking in my sub-conscious, but not sure that will ever materialize. Both scooters have since been sold now as we rarely ever used them. So 1 car for 2 seems to be the optimum, at least for now, amazing how things change.

P.S. Our one car is leased, and going back in a few months, the clock as of this writing has 9,837 miles on the clock after almost 3 years...… Anyone want a lightly used Florida 330i with low miles and non smoking owner... LOL., before we give it back to the leasing company?

Don't just turn it into the lease company with that few miles!

Take it to Carmax, etc. in the last month & get a quote...they'll cut you a check for the difference between their offer & the buyout price (plus any turn-in fee).

We have ranged from 0.5 to 1 car per driver. We've been married 75 person-years (37.5 years each) and have had a total of 7 cars during our lives and 3 are being driven today by myself, wife, and 2 children. We are just not into cars.

We have ranged from 0.5 to 1 car per driver. We've been married 75 person-years (37.5 years each) and have had a total of 7 cars during our lives and 3 are being driven today by myself, wife, and 2 children. We are just not into cars.

we'll be married a total of 100-person years in march and during our lives together we've had a total of 16-vehicles, all new save for two ('65 Mustang and a '59 Ford Falcon 4d). we currently have four...

'03 Jeep Wrangler 2D (daily driver, me)
'10 Jeep Liberty (daily driver, wife)
'46 Willys CJ2A (daily local driver in nice weather, me)
'16 Itasca Suncruiser motor home (vacations)

I wish it was 1, but we're currently at 1.5. DW and I both get much more use out of our SUVs, but I just can't bring myself to sell the Z4 coupe I drove when working. I wouldn't get much for it now and on the occasions when I need it, it's much more effective, economical (and fun) zipping through traffic than my 4Runner bloatmobile.

So it stays, but I grumble about it whenever insurance or registration come due.

This has fluctuated a bit in the last two months.

2 months ago we had 3 drivers at home (and a carless kid at college) and 3 cars
- my subaru forester,
- DH's 95 Dodge Ram PU that he brought to the marriage - mostly used by HS age son.
- my dad's old 97 Toyota Tacoma PU that DH used when the subaru or the dodge wasn't available.

We decided to sell the Toyota because it was crappy on gas, had value that we were not appreciating (tricked out 4x4 with all the cool 4x4 stuff), and it was going to need work in the future. Sold it. Now we were down to 3 drivers 2 cars. Decided DH deserved a new car - so we started figuring out what he wanted.

1 week later - DH is driving the Ram when he's broadsided by someone running a red light. Now we have 1 car 3 drivers.

We accelerate the purchase of DH's new Toyota Rav4. Now we have 2 cars, 3 drivers.

Realize that with son's work and school schedule we need a third car - so we buy a used 1999 F150 for cheap.

Older son comes home from college. Now we have 4 drivers 3 cars.

Older son may not 'stick' at college. (Still waiting on grades, but it doesn't look good...) If he stays home the terms are that he goes to community college and gets a j-o-b!!!! So he'll need a car... we'll be shopping for a used cheap car on craiglist again.

Cars are expensive to own... insurance, maintenance, etc... DH and I have talked about once the kids are launched, and we've downsized to a walkable/public transit neighborhood, we'll be dropping down to one car.

Last edited:
We just bought 2 new cars - one for each of us. We also have 2 motorcycles and a CanAm Spyder.

I don't ride the motorcycles anymore and need to sell them. The CanAm Spyder is my wife's and she rides to the tennis courts down the street occasionally when the weather is nice. I thought that maybe one day I might get one too but probably not. I think those days are past and I don't trust the other people on the road.

About 8 years ago we had 4 cars but they were around 18 years old. They weren't worth much so I kept them to have spares when the best driver broke down. Once we retired I sold 2 for just a few dollars to people who needed transportation and used the other 2 as trade in cars.

Cheers!

I answered more than 2. But it's really 3, depending on how you want to count.

Okay, here's my explanation/rationalization...

Two people in our household, DW and me. We have five vehicles with engines, that is, you can drive them. We have one vehicle (a travel trailer) that must be towed.

All but one of these vehicles is several years old - here's the list in descending age:

2018 GMC Sierra, crew cab, 4X4 truck for towing the Airstream trailer

2010 Airstream Interstate Class B motorhome on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. We use this for trips when the Airstream trailer is not suitable

2005 Chevrolet Suburban, 4X4 was previously used to tow the Airstream trailer and is now a daily driver

1992 Airstream trailer - has to be towed but it's a great way to travel the country

1984 Jeep CJ-7, it's a Jeep thing, kinda like a Harley-Davidson thing. If you don't own one it's difficult to understand. DW purchased this vehicle new just a year or so before we married.

1966 Chevrolet El Camino, another specialty vehicle that we use as a light duty truck periodically, use it for the local July 4th parade, drive it to the car show once in a while. I grew up with an El Camino just like this so it has quite a bit of sentimental attachment.

8 vehicles / 2 drivers, down from 10 vehicles in October. All in a huge heated, climate controlled garage.

I'm very envious of the garage situation. The next time I attempt to rationalize our 6 vehicles / 2 drivers I will refer to you.

I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

For the record, I don't want to count trailers in this. I wasn't really thinking about them but I did cover it with the note that it should be something you drive on the road. Yeah, you can tilt your head and say that you're driving both the truck and trailer, but what I intended is something you sit in and drive. Doesn't change your answer, and I appreciate the explanation. A friend of mine had a Casita (small but functional trailer), and I've considered something like that. Then I take a trip somewhere and deal with strong cross winds, and forget it.

For the record, I don't want to count trailers in this. I wasn't really thinking about them but I did cover it with the note that it should be something you drive on the road. Yeah, you can tilt your head and say that you're driving both the truck and trailer, but what I intended is something you sit in and drive. Doesn't change your answer, and I appreciate the explanation. A friend of mine had a Casita (small but functional trailer), and I've considered something like that. Then I take a trip somewhere and deal with strong cross winds, and forget it.

I think we had a poll years ago counting how many "vehicle tires" we owned. Big debate on whether or not to include lawn tractors, bicycles, etc. :)

2 cars 2 drivers. Currently we have a Mazda 6 and a Ford F-150. We're about to have a 16 year old. When he gets responsible enough he'll get a license and then eventually I'll get a Subaru outback and he'll get to drive my old Mazda. After I retire I might buy myself a fun car- Mazda Miata or something similar.

2 cars with 2 drivers. 2004 Avalon 180k and 2013 Camry 55k. I love my Avalon.

2 cars 2 drivers. 07 CRV 14 Tacoma. Both are bullet proof IMO. Won't hesitate to drive either across the country. Almost came close to getting a 3rd fun car like a Corvette, Miata, 3 series BMW but garage is full.

1 or 2, I used 2

I didn't quite know how to count my 1971 Boss 351 that gets used to go to car shows. There is my wife and I so I put 1 car per person even though a long time ago we realized we only needed the expense of one car during retirement.

6 cars for 2 drivers, DW and me.

3 are antiques, I have a '57 VW Beetle and a '56 VW singlecab pickup, she has a gift from me for our 20th anniversary (10 years ago) a '69 Mercedes 280SL convertible.

Her daily driver is a '12 VW CC, I have an '08 Dodge Dakota pickup and I just bought an '02 Taurus wagon for $1300 (aka "shitbox") as a DD for when I don't need to drive a 15mpg V8 pickup.

We had three for most of the last decade while I was doing track days, but we are down to just two again. Ford Focus RS and a VW GTI. Been looking for a older pickup like a Nissan Hardbody (had one back in the day) to have a truck and something to tinker with.

Lincoln Navigator SUV
Ford F-250 diesel pickup
Subaru Outback
BMW /M Z Roadster
Honda Valkyrie Motorcycle
Class B+ Motorhome

We have far too much wildlife on our roads to have an econo car or electric.

Currently five total.....for the two of us....
2014 Tacoma (daily driver, newest vehicle)
2006 Jeep (DW daily driver)
2001 Tacoma 4x4 (weekend trail truck, camping rig)
1968 Jeepster (restified play toy)
1997 Harley (fair weather toy)

Last edited:
We have 1 car for the 2 of us. A 2018 BMW X3 with 27000 miles on it. We had 2 cars when we retired in 2010, and went to 1 car in 2015 when we realized, we were almost always together and rarely both needed the car at the same time. It has not been a problem with only one car.

2002 VW Diesel New Beetle that we leave in FL (garaged, up on jack stands, with trickle charger). We use it when we're down there and put it in inactive status insurance-wise when we're not. Gets great mileage (45 mpg), and if it's still running and safe when DGD turns 16 in a couple more years it would be a pretty cool car for her.

2004 Highlander that we leave up north when we're in FL. It's too old to be worth much, and too good a car to just get rid of. Plus I use it for camping and mild off road travel. And hauling stuff and pulling trailers. My all time favorite car., and it should hit 200K miles next week. DD drives it some when we're down south.

2016 Honda Odyssey van that we use for our main travel/comfort vehicle. Great for transporting us and the dogs during our yearly migrations, as well as going places with family and friends.

2018 convertible VW New Beetle. DW's late mid-life crisis car. She was upset to learn they were discontinuing them, so we stocked up. It also goes inactive when we're not nearby. It's great for cruising the Eastern Shore for road trips as we continue in our quest to find the perfect crab cake. Currently there's a tie between the Full Moon Saloon in West Ocean City, MD and Old Salty's on Taylor's Island MD. Just in case anyone else is interested.

So that's 2 per driver.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of Foresters here.

Moving to a golf cart community soon so this will change!

2 drivers - 17 - F150 Crew cab 4x4 ecoboost. Wife has a 19 Honda Odyssey but she seldom drives now. Also have rarely used Harley Ultra Classic. New E bike that is used weekly. After we move, may consolidate to SUV and sports car. (late model 911 or Miata)

Getting out of boating, too selling large diesel sportfish! Will keep my jetski as I like to ride once in a while.

3 cars, 2 drivers.

2002 Nissan Pathfinder - the SUV hauler.
2009 Porsche Cayman - the fun car.
2013 Audi A6 - the luxury car.

I like my vehicles. Retired this past June with a nice ERP, and went out and bought a new 2019 BMW X3, AWD Xdrive 3.0 (which is a freaking amazing SUV for those that like the luxury/sport combo) as our main transport, while still keeping DWs old DD, the 2016 MINI Clubman (15k miles) as the airport/odd duty/tight parking vehicle which will eventually replace my ‘99 Dodge Dakota Sport PU (175k) (which is my old reliable, cheapest vehicle ever owned per year cost, (hand crank windows and manual locks) needed for work that still requires a truck) when my projects are done, and my fun for me car, a 2002 Porsche Carrera with 62k on it.

Funny to see all the Z3s mentioned as the Pcar replaced my ‘99 Boston Green Z3 2.3, I owned from 2000 to 2008, and drove to Homecoming in Greenville 5 times. I used to live on Roadfly and ate and drank everything Z3. Glory days. I still miss that car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom