A Picture of 70

windsurf

Recycles dryer sheets
Check out the picture Art Devany posted of himself on his 70th birthday. He is a retired math prof who is also a paleo fitness expert. Go to Arthurdevany.com. It's the most recent post in his blog. Click on the "read more" link. What do you think about his condition?

Very impressive indeed. Going to my local YMCA I see lots of guys in their 70's and older working out, and I pray that I can be as fit in 20 years time.

However, in the changing rooms I can't say I've see many with such well developed muscles as Mr Art De Vany

Alan:
"However, in the changing rooms I can't say I've see many with such well developed muscles as Mr Art De Vany."

That's encouraging. I think it's all a matter of not giving up and continuing to get out to play and to the gym.

". . . and a little hgh on the side."

Funny you said say that. What paelo fitness accomplishes, in part, is ensuring natural (endogenous) pulses of hgh. Devany up regulates the hgh pulses with brief high intensity periods of exertion and plenty of rest. If you peruse his site, you will see that he is quite conversant with the science of mainaining hgh and testosterone without medical intervention (exogenous). Part of the teaching is that belly fat (bigger belly than hips) is amarker for matabolic syndrome raising the risk of pre-diabetes (insulin resistance) and cardiac issues. Low testosterone and impaired production of hgh are part of this as well. Devany does it with diet and exercise. check his archives for pictures of his meals

I had a guy come in my store this weekend, he was totally ripped, been about a year since I last saw him, and asked if he had been working out, as his biceps were just busting out of his t-shirt, and you could see a well defined chest bulging under his t-shirt.

I figured the guy was in his late 40's, although he did look just a tad older through the eyes and face.

I asked him how old he was now. When he said 70 my mouth about hit the floor. he was inspirational

This guy is very impressive. I would guess that women could really benefit from this plan. Thanks for posting this!

I researched his approach to working out and eating quite a bit last year - in fact, if you regularly read some of the fitness magazines that are more serious, some of the techniques he talks about (weights until failure, short high bursts of interval training, no more than 20 minutes) are being touted now for better and more efficient fitness results. There is a book I'm reviewing called the no cardio diet - he stresses weights to failure and a severely restricted diet (1300 calories daily for women and 1500 for men with uptapering over 8 weeks, but always eating a fairly calorie restricted diet) - however, as this author, DeVaney and some others, the interval training and training to failure is the key. DeVaney goes into his explanations through evolution, whereas the others use the results of their clients.

However, he is awesome for his age - there's a guy at the local military gym here that is cut like him and looks great - one of those older very distinguished looking 'hot' gentlemen. Nice eye candy when I'm working out ;-)

Guys like this are always a big inspiration for me. I have a sailing buddy in the OBX, Helmut, who is around 66 years old. I have to push just to keep up with him. Gives me hope that the fun doesn't have to end at age 60.

Last edited:
:):)
Guys like this are always a big inspiration for me. I have a sailing buddy in the OBX, Helmut, who is around 66 years old. I have to push just to keep up with him. Gives me hope that the fun doesn't have to end at age 60.

Right, TDave. I may have posted before that I also occasion the OBX (Avon). Some of the folk in our group are in the 70's now but still crave big wind and powder in the winter. Use it or lose it. These friends are dedicated to fun and I see them slow a bit but enjoying it just as much as ever. And slow to them is fast to most couch potatoes.

This pretty much sums it up....................

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
ShowLetter
[/font]

And to each his own, as long as you are active! A guy was playing golf in the foursome ahead of us, and we overheard one of the guys ask how old he was - 90! He had definitely slowed down, and didn't look like this guy, but was still pretty trim and I would have believed 70. Use it or lose it indeed!

And to each his own, as long as you are active!

Yup. I have lost a few pounds since retirement even though I haven't changed my diet. Plenty of golf and walking though.

I eat my share of veggies and fruit, but I'm not gonna eat just rabbit food. Tonight, Mexican food and a couple of beers. Life is a balance. :)

Check out the picture Art Devany posted of himself on his 70th birthday. He is a retired math prof who is also a paleo fitness expert. Go to Arthurdevany.com. It's the most recent post in his blog. Click on the "read more" link. What do you think about his condition?

Hey, windsurf, I finally got around to reading De Vany's "Evolutionary Fitness" paper:

pdf link

He essentially takes conventional research and recasts it a bit to fit his evolution-based framework. I didn't think it would be a useful framework for me, but I found it a bit helpful when jogging this week.

Usually, I just jog at a pretty consistent pace, but this week I decided to pretend I was tracking prey. :) It actually helped. I did a few interval sprints, walked a bit, jogged a bit. My overall pace improved by almost 10%, it felt good, and it was more interesting. I think I'm hooked. Next, I'll probably join a soccer league or something....

Back
Top Bottom