New Hampshire for retirees? Bad idea

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have two friends who plan to move to New Hampshire soon. I tell them that there is a 5% tax on their money, so, if they have $1MM in investments and dividends, don't they owe Uncle Sammy something like $50,000 for taxes each year (I am not taking off for write-offs...this is just quicky)? Is it just me? Is my thinking wrong?
Yes, property tax there is supposedly reasonable, no sales tax except like 8% on restaurant food, and that does save money.
Yes, I am not taking into account they went to Dartmouth, love winter, close to Canada & Boston, blah, blah.
I am just looking at this from the point of view of State tax on interest and dividends. Is this not a poor decision, since they seem to want to keep so much of their inherited wealth with them until the end.
One of us is crazy. I hope it is not me for once.:duh:

i believe the 5% tax is based on investment earnings (interest and dividends), not the investments per se ...

State taxes in NH are predominantly based on property levies. If you don't want to retire in a lot of home, NH is a good place to retire in terms of low overall taxes. Of course, as energy costs skyrocket, those winter heating bills could be brutal.

If you want to live in a large, expensive house in retirement, look elsewhere.

Revenue Administration
It is not as dire as it sounds. 5% on interest and dividends. Zero on capital gains (very few states will give you that!). Just tell your friends to invest in non-dividend-paying stocks and they won't have to pay anything (apparently) at the state level for income, just sell shares as needed.

The property tax is high in NH due to no sales tax and no earned income tax.

ziggy: wood stove. There's no real shortage of wood in NH; it's about 80%-90% forest.

Hmmm...sombody's CPA doesn't listen when she talks..mine. I asked her if the 5% was on investment amounts, got a yes answer...and now I get it. Well, hey! 5% on interest and dividends, zero on capital gains...not bad at all!
Thank you for the help! I wish them well now...they can handle giving 5% to the state on strictly their interest and dividends. Heck...t'ain't that much then.

Back
Top Bottom