401k and Roth for young invester

bode316

Dryer sheet aficionado
Ok heres the deal.

I currently contribute 13% to 401k with 6% match. Dollar per dollar
On top of that, I get a 6% retirement plan from work based on total salary.
So basically together between the 2 accounts, I save 25% of my salary.
I make about 70k a year, and I am 24 years old. I have approx. $20,000 in the account.

My wife contributes 7% to 401k, and gets a 3% match. 50 Cents match to dollar.
Also gets a retirement plan that is 5.5% of total salary. SHe has approx. $2,000
She makes approx. 50k a year.

I want to get a Roth account going for atleast one of us, and maybe both. We have no debt besides a mortgage. We have a total of 12k in a taxable savings account, and money in stock options totally about 10k right now.

I really want to get a roth going so this is what I am thinking.
Lower my wifes contributions to 3%, and put the 333.33 per month into a roth. I am not sure if I should start a roth for me or not, just need some help with this.

Let me hear some ideas.

Given your young age and apparently good jobs, your income may increase in the next few years making you ineligible for a Roth IRA. So, there is good sense in both of you setting up a Roth now so it can grow over the years. Just make sure to keep your 401k contributions high enough so you don't lose the match.

Bode, how about if you use your savings to fund the Roths? You can keep it in a mm account if it needs to serve as your emergency fund. You can withdraw contributions at any time without penalty. As you rebuild your after-tax savings you can reinvest the Roths more creatively.

Coach

Combined you earn 120K per year. I don't understand why you would have to lower your 401k to contribute to a Roth. You must not be living much below your means unless your aggressively paying down your mortgage. I see no reason why you shouldn't both be able to max out your 401K and Roths and still have money left over for a taxable account if you want. I make barely 1/3 of your combined income and still max both 401k and roth so you can definetly do it if you want.

Ok heres the deal.

I currently contribute 13% to 401k with 6% match. Dollar per dollar
On top of that, I get a 6% retirement plan from work based on total salary.
So basically together between the 2 accounts, I save 25% of my salary.
I make about 70k a year, and I am 24 years old. I have approx. $20,000 in the account.

My wife contributes 7% to 401k, and gets a 3% match. 50 Cents match to dollar.
Also gets a retirement plan that is 5.5% of total salary. SHe has approx. $2,000
She makes approx. 50k a year.

I want to get a Roth account going for atleast one of us, and maybe both. We have no debt besides a mortgage. We have a total of 12k in a taxable savings account, and money in stock options totally about 10k right now.

I really want to get a roth going so this is what I am thinking.
Lower my wifes contributions to 3%, and put the 333.33 per month into a roth. I am not sure if I should start a roth for me or not, just need some help with this.

Let me hear some ideas.

drop your 401k down to 6%, then put other 7% into Roth IRA
drop your wife's 401k down to 6%, then put the other 1% into a Roth IRA

Same savings rate, slightly higher taxes, money divided between accounts.

Has anyone had experience/luck stories about those Vanguard funds that are designed for people retiring in X number of years?

I've been following Vanguard Target Retirement 2045.

Back
Top Bottom