Are you lazier in retirement?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
I think I am. I stay as busy as I want to, doing what I want, but somehow it's way easy to blow off chores & things I "should" but don't want to do. I guess because I think I have plenty of time to get around to it, whereas when w**king I scrambled to accomplish things in what "free" time I had.

Maybe I I'm just getting in touch with my inner sloth.

Doesn't bother me a bit (DW is tolerant so far, but ....)

How 'bout you?

I agree.....seems that I have all of the time in the world and get even less done now than when my days were much more regimented.....but I am much less stressed and much happier.....that's got to count for something!

Yes.

I didn't think it was possible.

Not sure I could actually be any lazier. At least, not while still breathing!

Are you lazier in retirement?
Eh, don't think I'm going to get to that question today, but I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

And this time I really mean it...

I think the desire to load up with a stack of ToDos has dropped dramatically duringthe five years. I like to keep commitments to 2 or 3 so I can have time for my hobbies (like posting here...)

Nope, not here.

About as busy as I was before I retired, only I'm working 100% on my projects and getting them done in record time. Before retiring, some projects would drag on for weeks. Now I get things finished in a day or two.

This weekend I'm reupholstering some chairs that would have taken a week or two of evenings while I was working. They will be finished by tomorrow afternoon and I only started working on them yesterday morning, plus I had to figure out how to run the sewing machine.

Since early August;
Lots of yard work, still working on the leaf detail
New back porch flooring and steps
New aluminum handrails for the front and back porch and steps.
Built a new game table for the familyroom
Completed 7 small woodturning projects
Tinkered around with some wood sculpting, finished 2 so far
Currently taking a class on copper enameling at our city art center
Installed a new in-tank fuel pump on my truck, not a fun job

So I guess you could say I'm keeping busy and out of trouble. :D

Nope, not here.

About as busy as I was before I retired, only I'm working 100% on my projects and getting them done in record time. Before retiring, some projects would drag on for weeks. Now I get things finished in a day or two.

This weekend I'm reupholstering some chairs that would have taken a week or two of evenings while I was working. They will be finished by tomorrow afternoon and I only started working on them yesterday morning, plus I had to figure out how to run the sewing machine.

Since early August;
Lots of yard work, still working on the leaf detail
New back porch flooring and steps
New aluminum handrails for the front and back porch and steps.
Built a new game table for the familyroom
Completed 7 small woodturning projects
Tinkered around with some wood sculpting, finished 2 so far
Currently taking a class on copper enameling at our city art center
Installed a new in-tank fuel pump on my truck, not a fun job

So I guess you could say I'm keeping busy and out of trouble. :D
That list was soo exhausting .After reading it I had to take a nap !

I was born lazy. Probably due to my defective work gene. ;)

MJ

That list was soo exhausting .After reading it I had to take a nap !
Yes I think Uncle Honey needs to learn about retirement. He still has to empty his job jar. My jar is never empty but it never overflows either...

You guys gotta remember from page one of the retirement manual.

You get to do whatever you want. And thats what I'm doing. :D

I have a very short attention span for the boredom of life, things like watching TV drive me up the wall.

Maybe it's ADD. Who knows, but it's fun.

Maybe I'm just trying to avoid the ultimate curse of retirement, the early onset of Leadinitis, the rare form of blood poisoning where iron in the blood turns to lead in the backside. I see too many neighbors suffering from very early stages of the disease like Couchpotato Syndrome and they aren't even retired.

Wear out, don't rust out is my motto. :cool:

Now that I don't start the morning with the sound of an alarm clock reminding me to get ready for w*rk, a tremendous amount of pressure has been eradicated. Since, I now have increased time to complete my considerably diminished responsibilities, I definitely take more time doing these tasks. I don't consider myself lazy, but certainly am much more relaxed in my daily living and chore completion. If I don't get it done today, I can do it tomorrow. I am more apt not to "sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff."

Yes

I'm not retire yet, but I sure plan to be lazier once I do!

I think I'll sleep and awaken whenever I feel like it for quite a while, and I don't plan to do a whole lot until I have recovered from my years in the workforce.

I'm not retire yet, but I sure plan to be lazier once I do!

I think I'll sleep and awaken whenever I feel like it for quite a while, and I don't plan to do a whole lot until I have recovered from my years in the workforce.

It's been almost three years now, and I think I'm reaching recovery. I've actually started feeling boredom and am ready to start working on long range plans.

I was born lazy. Probably due to my defective work gene. ;)

MJ

This gives me a good answer when I get asked 'Do you get bored?' I have one working buddy that plays with my group once a week and it never fails he will ask that question. The other day it hit me wrong and I replied giving a smart ass response which I regretted later. From now on I will just smile and use MJ's response. :)

This gives me a good answer when I get asked 'Do you get bored?' I have one working buddy that plays with my group once a week and it never fails he will ask that question. The other day it hit me wrong and I replied giving a smart ass response which I regretted later. From now on I will just smile and use MJ's response. :)

Sounds like your buddy is envious. It's a hard concept to grasp -- even for me as I'm still working -- but long weekends remind me that I CAN adjust.

-- Rita

I have been retired now for one and a half years. I was super lazy right after I retired, but, I think most of that was from the loss of my husband. Now I am beginning to get a little back to, what I hope, is normal retirement life. I am finding that I enjoy keeping my house tidy and have a more normal routine going. While I was still working, I always thought that I would NOT be doing house cleaning on weekends since that was always when I HAD to clean house during my working years. But, guess what....the best time for me to clean house is still the weekends. I don't like the crowds during the weekends so I stay home and clean and putter around and I do enjoy myself. During the week, I try to get out a little when the crowds are more manageable. So, right now, I would say I'm not really lazy but just slow. My mind is a nice big blank, it's not spinning like it used to while I was still working. I've slowed down and it really does agree with me.

I fall in the lazier than ever camp. I particularly don't want things that come with responsibility - responsibility to meet a schedule, to achieve defined goals, whatever. I think that is a continuing reaction to my work years. On the other hand I am more physically active than ever. I recently got into cycling and have been increasing the average ride. Still going to the gym regularly. Started waxing the snowboard in anticipation of winter...

An illustrative update.

In a spasm of "constructive" energy today I started fixing and replacing some rotted parts of the front porch posts & railings. Ended up with a badly bruised pinky from a misguided whammer. Can't play my guitar today.

To hell with it. I am clearly not MEANT to work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom