Hello from central Kansas

almostperfect

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone,
I just joined here today with probably the same end goal as everyone else, to retire early. A bit about myself, I'm single, 44, no children. I've got a decent paying job (~125k/yr), ~300k in real estate (rentals), ~500k in 401k, and another 100k in various investments. Essentially, other then the primary house I live in, I'm debt free, including the rentals. My plans are to retire by 48, when I will have my current house paid off. I've also considered just downsizing and selling it to buy something smaller to accelerate my retirement plans. I've found sources for health insurance, and once I turn 55 I will be eligible for a small pension. To be quite honest, the only reason I've not left the corporate world to date is that I really don't know what I want to do after I "retire."

I can't see myself ever just sitting around for extended periods of time, and as my job was one that allowed me to travel extensively, I really don't have that bug either. Along the same lines, I can't see myself working 40+ hour weeks either, whether it be as my own boss or working for someone else. Does anyone have any suggestions on some things I might consider looking into? I realize that there are a multitude of volunteer opportunities out there, but something inside of me says, if I am going to spend x amount of hours on it, I'd like to get something for my time.

Welcome aboard. What is your current line of w*rk? Do you have skills transferable to something else that might be more enjoyable? What do you enjoy outside of the office?

Welcome to the board almostperfect.....lot of great people and awesome advice around here.
I would suggest that you take some classes in subjects that might interest you at the local high schools/colleges to find out what you might like.

Welcome to the forums, almostperfect.

I don't have any suggestions for activities during your retirement. Heck, I have trouble sometimes finding something that interests me.

Great to meet you almostperfect...have you considered joining a local country club and doing some golfing? What about joining a rotary club or some sort of local organization?

Wow, everyone, thank you for the welcomes. I do so appreciate it :)

Gumby said:
Welcome aboard. What is your current line of w*rk? Do you have skills transferable to something else that might be more enjoyable? What do you enjoy outside of the office?

Hi Gumby,

I guess I did forget to mention that ;) Wish I could forget it all that easily at times. I'm in aircraft engineering. That has been my life or so it seems for the past 22 years. The long hours and highly stressed environment have just gotten to me. I also seem to have forgotten to mention that I'm female. Guess I was just having a forgetful day.

I have always enjoyed music, having paid my way through college initially by playing professionally, alto saxophone. Although doing that kind of killed my enjoyment of performing music. I've also found that I'm pretty good at just about any type of handcraft. But perhaps the thing I've been the most successful at, outside of my current career has been real estate. Which surprised the heck out of me, because I go about it completely different from what all those so called experts say you "should" do. I don't just mean managing rentals, but I just adore finding an old Victorian type home, giving it new life and then locating other people who share my interest in it, that will live there. However, as I've found this can be an expensive hobby at times.

citrine said:
Welcome to the board almostperfect.....lot of great people and awesome advice around here.
I would suggest that you take some classes in subjects that might interest you at the local high schools/colleges to find out what you might like.

Hi citrine, and thank you.

I've already found many people to be very helpful and friendly. I think the class idea is a good one. It is something I've been toying with in my spare time as it stands now. I sure look kind of strange being the only 40+ individual in classes with 19 year olds though. But over the past few years, I've taken a lot of computer courses, creative writing courses, and business courses. One thing I may pursue though is automotive repair courses. I know many of those fixes are very easy, if you know what to fix. Hopefully I can learn to do that to at least be able if I *want* to fix my own vehicle. Another idea I've considered is substitute teaching. In my state, one only needs to hold a bachelor's degree in anything to qualify. It wouldn't be a steady thing, but it would allow me to pick and choose my work days to some extent.

template said:
Welcome to the forums, almostperfect.

I don't have any suggestions for activities during your retirement. Heck, I have trouble sometimes finding something that interests me.

Hi template, and thank you for the welcome.

Maybe we can stumble into some areas together then. Because I am definitely hoping to pick some of those very intelligent brains on here for starter ideas. One thing I've never been too shy about is asking others for ideas, and if I like them, stealing them and making them my own. Usually with a twist.

layla17 said:
Great to meet you almostperfect...have you considered joining a local country club and doing some golfing? What about joining a rotary club or some sort of local organization?

Nice to meet you also layla :)

I've never considered golfing, to me that just sounds like a way of messing up a good walk. But I will take a hard look at some of the area's recreation centers, because the exercise would certainly do me good as well as make a fantastic way to meet more people and spend time. Off hand, learning judo or some other type activity sounds like it could be enjoyable. And of course, swimming is always great.

Hi,

My family on my mother's side is from central Kansas - Hutchinson to be exact. I've spent a lot of time there are like the area. My Uncle Dan, who is retiring soon, has told us he intends to take up tornado chasing. Just a thought :)

Hi,

My family on my mother's side is from central Kansas - Hutchinson to be exact. :)

Hutchinson!? My ex-inlaws were from there...worked at the cosmosphere...

Welcome AlmostPerfect!

Well, I'm not exactly in Hutchison, but just south of there, in Wichita. I do manage to get to Hutchison at least once a year. The Cosmosphere is an amazing place. Though, chances are though unless a person is from Kansas, they've never heard of it. Still any place that has the actual Apollo 13 command module deserves a lot more publicity than it has received! Why even their website ( Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center ) is worth checking out. They've a virtual tour on it for their newest exhibit.

Nice to meet everyone, and if any of you are ever in my area, let me know. Maybe we can meet up and do coffee or something.

Back
Top Bottom