Why do retirees move to Maine?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Maybe I just am not getting it, but tons of retirees are slated to move to Maine from now and up to 2030. Doesn't Maine have one of the worst records of all the States when it comes to taxes? Other than it being a safe State with wonderful scenery and outdoor activities, why in the world would a retiree--for gosh sakes!--move to tax high Maine? :confused:

There's something about that ice fishing I guess. I'm staying in Florida myself.

Other than it being a safe State with wonderful scenery and outdoor activities, why in the world would a retiree--for gosh sakes!--move to tax high Maine? :confused:

Ahhhh........ wonderful scenary and outdoor activities sound good to me. I'm staying where I'm at for family reasons, but if we could cut loose and move, an outdoor orientated state would be my choice. Many of these, including Maine, are not the most tax friendly. But, as long as I could afford it, I'd move to where I'd enjoy myself the most.

One of DW's long time girlfriends, a fellow retired teacher, moved to Maine two years ago. DW visits her for a week every summer and reports the area and her friends retirement lifestyle there are first class, very desireable.

DW and I spent 2 weeks in Bethel, Maine a few summers ago. It is indeed very beautiful scenery. I can understand why someone would want to retire there, if they can afford the taxes. Winters, I understand would be very harsh. But then that keeps people from flocking there in large droves and ruining the environment.

I don't get that either. I would rather move to NH than Maine. Same kind of scenery without the taxes.

Thanks, retire@40...sometimes I think I must be alone in this thinking. Why in the heck would someone pay those high tax rates of Maine when they can ice fish--and be closer to Boston if they are interested--in New Hampshire?
I keep wondering if there is some great tax benefit that I don't know about in Maine...is there? Are you people in Maine keeping it a secret from the rest of us? Fess up!

Being from MA, I go to Maine, NH, and/or Vermont every year. I like them all, but they do have a lot of scenic similarities (besides no Ocean in Vermont).

NH tends to be my favorite for various reasons. I may move there later in life.

I thought there weren't that many retirees to Maine because the winters were so harsh.

Audrey

I would like to return to Maine; but only with an earthship type abode.

Maine has retirees flocking there already, which is why I am asking why when it costs so much there taxwise.
According to the US Census Bureau, New England is to acquire a number of retirees also by 2030. But, in all honesty, New England will grow the least of all the regions, so what does that mean really?
Regardless, it seems that New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont are going to be acquiring the affluent $$$ retirees from New Jersey, Massachusetts, NY and other NE States.
And California, Texas and Florida are supposed to have half of the US population in those 3 States by 2030. (I gotta quit doing all this homework on the net.)

Well, in all honesty, I could be had for a good lobster myself......mmmmm.:p

I don't get that either. I would rather move to NH than Maine. Same kind of scenery without the taxes.

Golfed with a guy that used to live in NH. He loved it. He said during the summers the a/c was on maybe 10 days. Of course the winters are tough but he enjoyed winter sports so he didn't mind.

Retired to MS because he grew up here and cheap real estate.

Not every retiree is as sensitive to taxes as others. I could see a lot of wealthy folks from the Boston area falling in love with the scenery and the local culture.

A lot of CA retirees stay in state and move to the Sierra foothills and Lake Tahoe area, too, much for the same reason -- they vacationed there, they love it there and they want to retire there -- and they can afford it, especially if they cleared half a million or more from the sale of their previous home.

My Uncle retired there from CA because my Aunt was from there and wanted to move back.

I have loved visiting Maine & NH. But this part of the world, while physically beautiful, can be very provincial. My friends who moved there 20 years ago are still 'outsiders'. One of the few places in the US where you may need several generations to be truly considered a local.

I have loved visiting Maine & NH. But this part of the world, while physically beautiful, can be very provincial. My friends who moved there 20 years ago are still 'outsiders'. One of the few places in the US where you may need several generations to be truly considered a local.

My father (and many of his predecessors) was born and grew up there, so I'd probably have less trouble than most.

Lets add Texas to that list of places where you are an outsider unless you grew up there. And, God forbid you are a Yankee, as you will be most unappreciated (to put it kindly).
And I was a Yankee from Chicago, so , when I got there, I talked fast like they do in Chicago. They hated me for it, and I knew it; so, I had to really work on slowing down my speech patterns when I was in a social situation. Ironically, fast speech and Chicago ways didn't seem to affect my selling at all. How do I know? Cause I was always #1 in any office (this is before I went into biz for myself). Go figure?
But socially was being a Yankee from Chicago a negative? You bet it was in Houston.
Also, where I grew up in Illinois on the Iowa border where I am staying now, I talk to gals in the locker room who have been here a few years only saying how hard it is to penetrate and gain some friends here. They like the area, but tell me they can't get any friends. I can see why as this is a post-industrial area that now has little in and out traffic, so everyone here almost grew up here. Me, I feel comfortable and like I fit in. Why? I have no idea unless it is because the area is familiar with me from my youth. But I do hear it here from new transplants over and over.
I think this goes on alot more than we think. California, NYC, Chicago, D.C. are areas I have spent time in and never felt like an outsider. Why? They have so much movement in and out that they are so much more sophisticated and cosmopolitan than most areas.
Just an opinion, and not saying I am right.
I know one thing: if I ever move back to a metro in Texas, I am telling them I am from Houston. Period. Saying you are from Chicago or any place up North rates you as an a**hole there. And anyone who has not picked up on that and lives in Texas is either blind or fooling themself.

I know one thing: if I ever move back to a metro in Texas, I am telling them I am from Houston. Period. Saying you are from Chicago or any place up North rates you as an a**hole there. And anyone who has not picked up on that and lives in Texas is either blind or fooling themself.

:2funny:
Orchid, may I add your testimonial to my list of "Reasons you shouldn't move to Texas"?

When I travel to Houston for work, I don't even tell the cabbies that I'm from Louisiana!! Houstonians don't think much of Katrina evacuees, and probably for good reason.

When I travel to Houston for work, I don't even tell the cabbies that I'm from Louisiana!! Houstonians don't think much of Katrina evacuees, and probably for good reason.
I lived in Houston from 2003 to 2006. And while I was proud of the city's response to Katrina while I lived there, it's also proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

For what it's worth, I'm from California and my wife is originally from Pennsylvania, and we haven't had any issues about that here in Texas.

Lots of Pennsylvanians in the Clear Lake area near Nasa have come in as engineers to work there. Lots. That used to be one of my main territories to work, so I spent 8 years down there working.
I found that the Houstonians weren't so negative about the Californians than they were Yankees. Not at all. I think they think Californians are cooler by far, since California wasn't involved in the Civil War...and some Southerners are still begruding the North for winning the war.
And, yes, there are pockets of areas (like Clear Lake and around Nasa) where it will not make one whit of difference where you are from. Why? Lots of transplants that weren't native Texans coming in and out of those pockets.
I sold for 16 years all over the wealthier areas of the city, and it was surely an eyeopener. You would think that Houston people were the same all over, but that wasn't true at all. Some areas were definitely more Yankee and/or more open minded than others--even among the wealthy and supposedly well educated.
And, yes, I have friends there who still talk about the Katrina people as if they are ALL riff-raff, which, of course, is untrue. But the crime rate zoomed up so much after Katrina, I can see how they got such a bad impression, unfortunately.
I agree with you about being proud of Houston taking in so many Katrina victims, tho. I had two friends who were having fits over it, but I was, personally, proud they helped them. Somebody in some major city had to. It isn't like the people of New Orleans asked for a disaster, and they surely needed a little help and kindness after that one; so, I, too, was thrilled and proud Houston could lend a kind hand to them, myself. Good for Houston!!!

(REWahoo: You are just a Texas booster, I think, no matter what they do, right? That makes you a native now, kid.)

Lived in Houston from 1989 to 1996 and have not been back (but plan on it this May). Should be interesting. The medical center where I worked is twice as big but none of the Texans I worked with have left.

Been to Maine once in the week of summer.

Back
Top Bottom