Tax filing: donations?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know that the rules are supposedly different for deducting charitable donations now. I recently read that you now have to submit a receipt from the charity or a copy of a cancelled check to substantiate each and every donation. Is this really true? If so, my shipment to the IRS this year is going to be a thicker file than last year (a sheet for each week's check in the weekly collection basket?).

The new rules for cash contributions relate to record keeping requirements, not document submission. From page 153 of Publication 17 (Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals: 2007):

"What's new: You cannot deduct a cash contribution, regardless of the amount, unless you keep a record of the contribution - a bank record (such as a canceled check, a bank copy of a canceled check, or a bank statement containing the name of the charity, the date, and the amount) or a written communication from the charity."

LOL! Like the IRS is going collect a bunch of scrap paper for recycling. You just need to keep the receipts with a copy of your tax return in case you are audited. Chariities know the rules, so they are happy to give out lots of receipts.

Back
Top Bottom