Looking for stuff

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I have been looking for stuff I once had/observed (30 to 40 years ago).

A watch band that was stainless steel chains with a bit of leather at the buckle ends.

A leather belt with a 'buckle' that was a small hook.

Red flannel handkerchiefs.

Does anyone know of a source for such?

It might not be too hard to make the red flannel handkerchiefs. Just get the material at a fabric store, and finish the edges. That might be less work than finding a retail store that carries them.

As for the rest, I have no idea.

handkerchiefs were the first thing I learned to sew.

alternately, a seamstress would probably charge a very minimal amount.

A watch band that was stainless steel chains with a bit of leather at the buckle ends.

Don't know about these particular things, but I find lots of cool stuff, much of it the same stuff that I bought when I was 12, at an Army-Navy Surplus store. When I was a boy it was all US surplus. Now it is from around the world. If you live in a cold climate and don't mind looking a little kinky there is nothing quite like a DDR officers' overcoat. And if you into leather, those eastern countries really do leather well.

Ha

I'm looking for an old time looking pocket watch with the internals of a modern digital watch.

i did a net search for "red flannel handkerchiefs". lots of linen, silk, and cotton out there, but not a single flannel one. found a lot of references to flannel HKs being part of historical figures' travel inventory - some pretty interesting stuff.
got a friend with a sewing machine?:D

Try ebay !

You could try here: The Vermont Country Store

I have a belt bucket like that with an embossed picture of my town's train depot on the front. Don't use it though and you probably wouldn't want it. Like of big and flashy.

If you don't have a sewing machine to make your own flannel hankies, you could try taking some flannel and just cutting out a hanking using pinking shears.

Last edited:
Or just use a needle & thread. What's the allure of the flannel (as opposed to just red cotton)?

Or just use a needle & thread. What's the allure of the flannel (as opposed to just red cotton)?

Softer and more absorbent.

There's no way I can sew, I don't even put buttons back on. My hands are so messed up I have trouble buttoning shirts.

get a couple yards of flannel from the local bulk fabric store and look up a seamstress. Charge should be minimal as it's just a square with an edge.

get a couple yards of flannel from the local bulk fabric store and look up a seamstress. Charge should be minimal as it's just a square with an edge.

I'll ask around at the local alteration shops.

Gee Khan, if you can't find anyone to hem up a bunch of flannel hankies for you, I'll do it and mail you a bunch. As long as you don't publically comment on my sewing ability. :)

PM me. I can probably pick up red flannel for five-six bucks a yard.

Softer and more absorbent.

There's no way I can sew, I don't even put buttons back on. My hands are so messed up I have trouble buttoning shirts.
Khan
you may find this useful for the shirt buttoning job.
Pocket Dresser (Red)
when my hands were messed up for over a year, i used stuff like this all the time.

i will echo Martha's offer to PM me also. i had sent you a PM a few days ago but wasn't sure you read it yet.

i am a resource (carpal tunnel, hand problems, RSI) that you should definitely take advantage of. i ended up with a 10% permanent partial disability in both hands. but i continue to do what i want, using assistive technology and techniques to keep enjoying life. i continue to garden, use the computer, write with special pens, etc etc.

so ask away and i'll find you a solution. remember, engineers are problem solvers. we can't help ourselves. :)

Back
Top Bottom