Own a 1998 car or truck? The value just went up...

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
...if you live along the border with Mexico, that is.

"Beginning Monday, only cars built in 1998 — none older and none newer — can be legally imported into Mexico.

"Cars newer than that were banned from imports as unwelcome competition for Mexican car dealers, and anything more than 15 years old was seen as a potential environmental and safety hazard.

But now, under pressure from Mexico's new car dealers who say "vehiculos chatarra," or jalopies, undercut their sales, the Mexican government is allowing only 10-year-old used cars to be legally imported into Mexico.

All of a sudden, 1998 Luminas, Astro vans and Ranger pickups are sought-after trophies."

Mexican law panics car dealers - Autos - MSNBC.com

All of a sudden, 1998 Luminas, Astro vans and Ranger pickups are sought-after trophies."
I bet that's gonna leave a mark on some insurance policies.

Although no one should be carrying theft insurance on a 10-year-old car.

Anyone who frequents the North/South Texas highways is familiar with the caravans of one junker pulling another junker heading south. I guess it will be a lot easier to guess the year of those beasts now, Si?

My bet is that a thriving border business will emerge where clever folks will change the identity of your worthless late model into a prized 98.>:D
Think of the slogan possibilities----
Your Car Born Too Late?--No Worry, we'll Make it a 98.

Your Car Not Sell So Great? No Problem, In Just Two Hours it's a 98!!:cool:

Can someone make my 95 a 98:confused: It has the same body style and all....

We are going to El Paso in early June. Maybe I'l drive down in my '98 Windstar and fly back.

We are going to El Paso in early June. Maybe I'l drive down in my '98 Windstar and fly back.
Well if you want to fly and not walk back, be sure to sell it before it is stolen>:D

Oh Lord won't you bring me a 98 Chevie....

Back
Top Bottom